The Mounting Evidence Against Tom Cable Is Insurmountable

Fade

Reaction score
Germain Ifedi is now a good football player. His technique is now night & day. I cannot believe it. Give Solari a raise.

[youtube]YS_N2PtQXwg[/youtube]

ivotuk

Reaction score
Last year Ray Roberts was saying "Germaine can't punch, because Cable has him playing with his arms extended. So all he's able to do is "catch" the defensive player. You need to be able to punch and knock them off balance when you're a man as big and powerful as Ifedi is."

sdog1981

Reaction score
Yes.

Cable cost the Seahawks

19-0 season 2013

3 out of 4 Superbowls 2012-2015

2000 yard 20 TD season for Lynch

He is the worst coach in organized sports.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Dog, don't let hyperbole ruin a perfectly good concept.

It is becoming quite demonstrable that Cable has been left behind in terms of being a competent OLine coach. Doubt he's the worst coach in organized sports though.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1vnsns6u said:
Dog, don't let hyperbole ruin a perfectly good concept.

It is becoming quite demonstrable that Cable has been left behind in terms of being a competent OLine coach. Doubt he's the worst coach in organized sports though.

Honestly, you should include non-organized sports in there as well. ;)

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Tom Cable coached a style of blocking/scheme that got killed by rule changes. I'm not talking about the zone system either, it is his brand of zone that got killed. He has never been able to adapt. Cable was a one trick pony that was left in yesteryear.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":228h3g55 said:
Tom Cable coached a style of blocking/scheme that got killed by rule changes. I'm not talking about the zone system either, it is his brand of zone that got killed. He has never been able to adapt. Cable was a one trick pony that was left in yesteryear.

Agreed and the fault for leaving him in place for so long rests at Pete's feet.

Pete is almost as slow to adapt as Cable. He can coach/build a system but quickly adapting is not in his regular wheelhouse and it has likely cost us quite a few games over the years...and maybe a Super Bowl.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3adfzq2i said:
In the run game, yes I agree. They were a little sloppy, but they brought the nasty, and got guys on the ground. Which is impossible to do now the way Cable designed it.

Pass pro? I am not sure. I think he was out of his depth teaching technique pertaining to pass pro (look at his entire history as a coach), with Ifedi being my shining example, and also teaching his O-Lineman how to pick up stunts. Under Solari they are on point in these areas.

mrt144

Reaction score
I don't know why I had to fight so hard to make this case while he was here.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Let's not forget the head coach who inexplicably kept Cable around all these years.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Cable is a great offensive line coach.

10-15 years ago. NFL killed the original ZBS. Cable never or refuses to adjust. That’s his flaw. Look at what Solari is doing with his blocking designs. He isn’t sticking to one scheme and has been mixing it up so much defenses don’t know what to expect even if they know more than half times Seahawks are running the ball. That’s what great coaches do. They adapt and create on top of coaching technique.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":15xi7gf7 said:

10-15 years ago. NFL killed the original ZBS. Cable never or refuses to adjust. That’s his flaw. Look at what Solari is doing with his blocking designs. He isn’t sticking to one scheme and has been mixing it up so much defenses don’t know what to expect even if they know more than half times Seahawks are running the ball. That’s what great coaches do. They adapt and create on top of coaching technique.

It's actually Schotty that's calling the run game. Solari is just coaching the techniques and how he wants the guys to play.

And admittedly I'm not convinced we are surprising people. We are just flat out moving them. But I do like Schotty using trap blocks and wham blocks liberally to create creases. A lot of the run game is very similar to the 49ers with Gore in 2010-2013.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":xql1x270 said:

You say that but that's not true. From 1997 to 2010 Tom Cable was fired in three years or less with every job he had. He was fired as an OC, HC, and OL coach. Then 2010 came along and he got a job with the Seahawks.

Tom Cable is the classic example of failing upwards. He looks and sounds like an Oline coach so he can ace some interviews.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":az2umqwx said:
^ This ^, I believe Pete & Co. wanted to see if he could get a handle on all the changes, and that's why he lasted as long as he did here.
What I can't comprehend, is WHY give him the added responsibility of overseeing the RB Coaching, when it was obvious that he was regressing at his other responsibilities?

ivotuk

Reaction score
sdog1981":1s40x8bu said:
Yes.

Cable cost the Seahawks

19-0 season 2013

3 out of 4 Superbowls 2012-2015

2000 yard 20 TD season for Lynch

He is the worst coach in organized sports.

This makes no sense.

A lot of Cable's success here, and with past teams, was because he had a good to great running back, good Olinemen, and good to great, running QBs.

mrt144

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2cmmvm5k said:

And yet the NFL has a hell of a time actually ever letting go of people resting on their laurels whatever those may be including draft pick position. It's bananas and I hate it. I know that it isn't singularly unique to the NFL that merit is only part of a consideration in advancement and opportunity but...the social capital some dues raise while crapping the bed and falling behind their peers in ways we can observed in several ways...it seems like if any one thing should avoid social capital counting for dick it's a daggum game played at the professional level. That's not to say rapport doesn't matter but rapport is not the same thing as social capital. And with all the nepotism in the league being a form of inherent social capital (and fair, this happens across industry and sector) , it's one aspect of sports that I think severely lags behind it's fullest potential.

I'll use the term coach to relate to any coaching position on staff - I don't want to have to carve out specifics every time I use the word cause I'm gonna use it a lot.

You have people living their lives through sports but are not even close to scholars or theorists of the game. While they didn't wind up as a coach by accident, they would be doing another job in the same exact way as they perform their NFL job. Learn enough to be competent, execute at level of competency, put bread on the table and don't stick out in bad ways. People don't wind up coaching football by accident or necessity but for some it feels like it is almost incidental that they are football coaches. And I know any coach who heard this would probably sock me in the throat Woody-style but I'm sure they could name a coworker or assistant or underling where this rings true. Not everyone has to rise above this station to even be good at what they do, but there are a lot of dudes that won't accept that they are doing it worse than their peers and actually humble themselves into the effort to improve. And they will be hired in spite of this because of accrued social capital and fellow buffoons elevating past glories above consistent recent awfulness.

And I have railed on this for what seems like years now but becoming an NFL coach is hard and respect to the dudes who do it for a living. But it's hard in ways that I think are underappreciated and not as hard in ways people always imagine.

First, right off the bat, you don't have to be a tactical genius to be a position coach, coordinator, or NFL coach. This should be QED. You don't even have to be particularly smart or adept at game theory or learn about game theory intuitively through playing the game. But you have to show competency at some point and if you never do welp, you're gonna have to be the son of somebody to get more than a few opportunities. And this is overall appearance of competency. Andy Reid is notorious for clock management issues - and yet his teams consistently perform well and thus he keeps his job and even when let go by the Eagles takes his show on the road and basically is the same Andy Reid we've always known. Don't sleep on how good Andy Reid probably is as a coach in spite of his issues.

Second, you have to go through a lot of crap along the way. Social events, constant social interaction, constant media interaction, constant third party judgment, availability to drop everything for an opportunity halfway across the country and break the hearts of where you already are, ceding more to work in work/life balance, getting just the right of emotionally invested in your players and coworkers.

It is certainly not a job everyone could go through the motions of. Think about why some dudes coach high school their entire lives and do it so much better than everyone else around them. Is it because they can't hack it at the college level? Is it because they are living their football dream where as long as they keep doing their thing they got it made? Any number of reasons really - but I'm sure a non trivial amount of coaches in the lower levels simply don't want to coach at a higher level for reasons. So you have to have the will and determination to do the necessary moves that you think will land you the job you really want. And sometimes a coach like Jim Harbaugh climbs the ladder relatively rapidly not just on name recognition alone but on doing pretty damn well with the situation's he was put in and it still doesn't count for much with his former NFL employer because he's a caustic arrogant dork. Harbuagh doesn't play the social game like many others would and for all the good he can do as a tactical and game minded coach - he hasn't met a bridge he couldn't burn quickly enough and that matters.

Third, you have to hitch your star to the right coaching tree to maximize your opportunities. Think about how many Belichick disciples there have been and how so many of them seem like they only learned how to be grumps at the podium from him. And some didn't even learn that! These dudes don't coordinate under BB many of them would simply not be given some of the HC jobs available. I might be a bit hyperbolic in how much I think this matters but my impression from just mapping out a few coaching trees leaves me with the impression that it is an advancement to HC booster if the team is successful enough. If not successful at least lateral moves.

Fourth, a large problem is that the people hiring the coaching apparatus are delusional about whatever football knowledge they think they understand.If a certain franchise wanted you to coach for them, that might be a sign that you are not a good coach. It is like a hexed half dead flea ridden dog setting his sight on you and falling in love and never leaving your side - you are cursed by this affection! Said franchises categorically hire bad football people because they are miscalculating the factors that are important in football success. I don't claim to know those factors but I know the Browns have not been doing it right for far too long.

Although I have to be soft on Jerry Jones - if I was an owner, I would probably be worse. Maybe way worse. I get it, you own the team, you want to live out the dream you've likely always had. No regrets!

Fifth, you have to actually love football a ton. Is this really different than putting up with crap? Yes. It's one thing to put up with crap because the monetary reward is worth it, it's another put up with crap because teh emotional reward is worth it. What does it satisfy? What are aspects you couldn't do without as a coach? This is a leap that many of us fans will never be able to make because as much as I love football, I would not want it as a job day in and day out because I don't LOVE love football. I love aspects of football but that's every fan with opinions on football. And really I'm in love with the process of analyzing football more than contributing to the execution of football. And there aren't any gigs for fans with opinions except in the media. Even so, among the peer group that gets into coaching, it's a passion that is likely so similar among the peer group that it doesn't mean squat relative to output.

Sixth, This is what you get when you mix rumnog and weed. Self indulgent diatribes!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
More credit goes to the players around Cable than Cable himself. Take average talent and Cable couldn't succeed. In Atlanta he had Vick, Dunn, and Duckett. In Oakland, he had McFadden. In Seattle, he had Lynch/Wilson. Outside of that he was below average coach. Sweezy was the only OL you could say he had some impact on development in Seattle and Sweezy is thriving more under Solari than he did with Cable. I'm glad Cable is the Raiders problem now. I think Bevell got somewhat of the shaft because of Cable's ineptness. Bevell wasn't good but Cable was the AHC so probably had much more influence on the offense than he should have had.

D

DomeHawk

The debate is over, the fire Bevell/Cable side won, hands down.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1pm05byu said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1pm05byu said:

It's actually Schotty that's calling the run game. Solari is just coaching the techniques and how he wants the guys to play.

And admittedly I'm not convinced we are surprising people. We are just flat out moving them. But I do like Schotty using trap blocks and wham blocks liberally to create creases. A lot of the run game is very similar to the 49ers with Gore in 2010-2013.

I never said Solari was calling the plays. But Solari is the guy who is filling up that database from which Schotty can pull from. Sure, Schotty has say in what he wants to do and Solari has to coach to those restrictions but I think the success we’ve is that they are more on the same page with each other and they are working together adapting and creating that function to what they have and to the strength of their personnel. That was the whole reason for the reset. Schotty and Solari were brought in to create a scheme in tune with Pete’s vision but adapt it the strength of the personnel.

If both guys were at odds and ends with each other, it wouldn’t work, we saw that lack of chemistry with Bevell and Cable, to the point where Cable had to take over the running game. Furthermore, both coaches ran schemes that were more plug and play rather than adaptive. More often than not they made thier ideals concrete rather than fluid and you saw them trying to fit square pegs into round hole and banking on that they can coach out the rough edges.