Gotta love the victory formation...

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Even when the game was tied.
I know they were running down the clock for the final play of the game...but its not often you do it with that kind of style.
Amazing

kidhawk

Reaction score
I was disappointed in it. I’d rather run the ball and see if we can get a TD out of it. I’m glad it worked out and Janikowski didn’t get blocked or shank it but I’m still not a fan of the victory formation in that situation.

SeaChickN

Reaction score
Absolutely the smart move, as it ensured we controlled everything.

sutz

Reaction score
kidhawk":2y6s2ltn said:
I was disappointed in it. I’d rather run the ball and see if we can get a TD out of it. I’m glad it worked out and Janikowski didn’t get blocked or shank it but I’m still not a fan of the victory formation in that situation.
Well, there are some things that can go wrong, not the least of which is a false start with a 10 second runoff. ;)

Hawkpower

Reaction score
kidhawk":1zzgtg0x said:

Probably a higher probability of losing a fumble there than getting a FG blocked or shanking a 27 yard field goal.

Putting it all on the leg of your kicker for a chip shot is the right call I think.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":18iq0ygb said:
kidhawk":18iq0ygb said:

Probably a higher probability of losing a fumble there than getting a FG blocked or shanking a 27 yard field goal.

Putting it all on the leg of your kicker for a chip shot is the right call I think.

And isn't it nice that we can do this with Seabass?

I wouldn't have felt anywhere near that kind of confidence with Walsh. In fact, we would probably have tried to run it there if we still had Walsh, and that's with our horrendous line last year!

pmedic920

Reaction score
kidhawk":21xovl1t said:

I feel ya.
I was thinking the same thing, then it hit me.

I’d rather get the FG blocked, or miss it with zero time left, than have a fumble or something.
Thus giving the ball back with enough time left to lose.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think sucking the time was definitely the right call. A TD might have been nice, but a TD with too much time on the clock is not a good thing.

olyfan63

Reaction score
sutz":ui3flp6r said:
kidhawk":ui3flp6r said:
Well, there are some things that can go wrong, not the least of which is a false start with a 10 second runoff. ;)

Yup, right on about the 10-second run-off, I was totally worried about a dumb penalty and the 10-second run-off. Let's see, wasn't that the Rams game, or the Chargers game, where we have a chance to score and tie, and an OL false start penalty screws us?

If I were the Panthers, in hindsight, I might try to bait the OL into a false start with under 10 seconds by doing a neutral zone twitch or two and hoping Ifedi bites on it.

So I was hoping they'd kick the field goal with about 12 seconds left. Use 5 seconds, then kickoff into the field of play, another 4 seconds, Panthers get at most 1 play.

OK, I'll go with what the Seahawks did. Still a bit risky, with no timeouts to stop a 10 second runoff.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Clearly the smart thing to do was exactly what they did right there. Easy field goal, zero reason to take a chance at a fumble.

sutz

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2v8klck1 said:
Clearly the smart thing to do was exactly what they did right there. Easy field goal, zero reason to take a chance at a fumble.
Yeah, they already had OT if they needed. Our record in OT is pretty good, so I don't see why folks are complaining.

:229031_shrug:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":vcv9fjab said:
Hawkpower":vcv9fjab said:
kidhawk":vcv9fjab said:

I wouldn't have felt anywhere near that kind of confidence with Walsh. In fact, we would probably have tried to run it there if we still had Walsh, and that's with our horrendous line last year!

He missed a 38 yarder earlier this season. He's had some serious boners from mid-close range in his career. He's working out better than Walsh, but he's not that much better.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3lrik41k said:
Ad Hawk":3lrik41k said:
Hawkpower":3lrik41k said:
kidhawk":3lrik41k said:

He missed a 38 yarder earlier this season. He's had some serious boners from mid-close range in his career. He's working out better than Walsh, but he's not that much better.

A lot of the misses were early season and likely a chemistry issue with Dickson. They've been much better since the first 3 games.

Seymour

Reaction score
kidhawk":379rgxp7 said:

The short field goal was as close to a sure thing as you can get. Too many things can go wrong getting cute there, and did you notice Carson had 2 fumbles??...penalties ect could also push you out.

Absolutely the right move there.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I must be in the minority, because I don't even worry about Seabass these days. Early in the year, he made me very nervous.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3o5sippp said:
I must be in the minority, because I don't even worry about Seabass these days. Early in the year, he made me very nervous.

I think I still have PTSD from Blair Walsh

Seymour

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":363mdob5 said:
SoulfishHawk":363mdob5 said:

I think I still have PTSD from Blair Walsh

Why? Blair Walsh saved the franchise and possibly Wilson's career by helping to get Cable fired. Walsh makes those kicks, we make the playoffs, and we're screwed another 2,3,4 years with Fable.
:pukeface:

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":1f85809s said:
SoulfishHawk":1f85809s said:
Yeah, they already had OT if they needed. Our record in OT is pretty good, so I don't see why folks are complaining.

:229031_shrug:

I wouldn't say complaining exactly. Just that I disagreed with that path. It obviously worked, but I'm not going to say that I thought it was the right path when I didn't think that in real time. Just like if the 4th down plays wouldn't have worked, I wouldn't have complained, because I was calling for them, because I just couldn't see us making the necessary stops if we didn't go for it in those situations. Sometimes, I think going against the grain is the better move, sometimes I don't, it's always situational. Pete obviously has a lot more experience though, so I'm willing to admit that he is probably going to be right more than I will be.