Did I just witness.......

pmedic920

Reaction score
A Seahawk game that actually had an obvious “game plan”?

I don’t know for sure that it did but to my untrained eye, it sure seamed so.

It actually seemed like they had a plan to play the Panthers.

Sure there were some “oh shit” moments, miscues if you will.

Screw it, I’ll just say it out loud.

That was a thing of beauty!!!

GoHawks.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
My only complaint is Schotty's insistence on forcing the run when it wasn't working and the panther's DB's were giving up chunk play after chunk play. Of course I also complained when they abanded the run against the Broncos and Bears. Maybe I'm just never happy.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
And you also witnessed us go on the road and beat a winning team. Their loss last week was a near toss-up, as was the conclusion to this game. They're a good team, and we had a great game plan.

Yep, you saw it with your own eyes.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
We defeated a good team on their field.

This was my favorite game of the season so far and there have been a few really good ones.

GO HAWKS!

Polk738

Reaction score
I wondered when they were going to start taking advantage of the Panthers weak secondary, as I had a feeling they were just going to keep running into a brick wall with that Panthers front-I would've liked to have seen another big rushing game but it just wasn't going to happen against Luke Kuechly and his cronies.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Our Seahawks:
Traveled 3 time zones and won the game.
Had an early west coast start and won the game.
played a team on the road and won the game.
Played a team with a winning record and won the game.
Played a team ahead of them in the playoff hunt and won the game.

Teams beaten by the Hawks that are in the playoff hunt; Dallas, Detroit, Green Bay and Carolina.

Control their own destiny with with a home game against Minnesota.

Finish out the season with 4 out of 5 home games.

People, our Hawks are in a good position.

Go Hawks!!!!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
What game plan? Let McCaffrey do whatever he wants for the whole game but make some fortuitous stops in the redzone. Let Cam Newton complete all his passes in the first half?
Was the offensive game plan to target the opponents RCB quadriceps, knock him out of the game then relentlessly target his backup when the run game sputtered?

This game was a testament to resilience and adjustments rather than planning. If that first half was the plan then someone needs to go back to the drawing board because we got out of that first half very fortunate given how badly we were outplayed.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
This was a Panthers team that has was 5-0 @ home before today.

6-2 last year losing only to Saints and Eagles.

4-4 in 2016, accounting for 2/3rds of thier win total.

10-0 en route to a Super Bowl in 2015.

It been a very tough place to play and to win in the last 4 years, its no Foxboro, but Panthers along with the Packers are essentially non-divisional NFC rivals as it gets in this decade. Seahawks weren’t going to walk into the BoA and have it easy, Panthers were going to give them everything they got.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Trrrroy":269uoo38 said:
My only complaint is Schotty's insistence on forcing the run when it wasn't working and the panther's DB's were giving up chunk play after chunk play. Of course I also complained when they abanded the run against the Broncos and Bears. Maybe I'm just never happy.
LOL, Well at least you're man enough to admit it Trrrroy :smilingalien:

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2fyo7sig said:
What game plan? Let McCaffrey do whatever he wants for the whole game but make some fortuitous stops in the redzone. Let Cam Newton complete all his passes in the first half?
Was the offensive game plan to target the opponents RCB quadriceps, knock him out of the game then relentlessly target his backup when the run game sputtered?

This game was a testament to resilience and adjustments rather than planning. If that first half was the plan then someone needs to go back to the drawing board because we got out of that first half very fortunate given how badly we were outplayed.

So, in your eyes, the answer to my question is “no”?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
In years past I dont think we win this game.
Given it was an early game in Carolina and how Newton was red hot in the first half then Mcaffee was running wild in the second half, I think we came away lucky to win on their turf.
The panthers are usually a tough out even with the LOB and a healthy Marshawn.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sometimes you take away one thing and make them beat you with the other, TE did not beat us today, Olsen has been a pain in the ass in past games. We know the LB's are hurting right now, Gap control was bad today however as well.

Harder to beat you on the ground typically then thru the air, takes more time.

We won against a favorite in their house, other then adjusting for the future you can't complain about winning in a game like this, every game has been a nail biter with these guys it seems.

soje

Reaction score
Mad Dog":8elachx6 said:

Completely agree.

Looking at this thread I feel like I watched a completely different game.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
chris98251":1do2otvs said:
Sometimes you take away one thing and make them beat you with the other, TE did not beat us today, Olsen has been a pain in the ass in past games. We know the LB's are hurting right now, Gap control was bad today however as well.

Harder to beat you on the ground typically then thru the air, takes more time.

We won against a favorite in their house, other then adjusting for the future you can't complain about winning in a game like this, every game has been a nail biter with these guys it seems.
Yes. Olsen is usually a big problem for us.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
pmedic920":lb4qzqmk said:
Mad Dog":lb4qzqmk said:

Resounding no. Don’t get me wrong, great victory! But without Wilson’s clutch 4th quarter, this was a loss in the making.

That being said, if we recover even a third of all those fumbles we might have won easily.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2lx3ap66 said:
pmedic920":2lx3ap66 said:
Mad Dog":2lx3ap66 said:

Resounding no. Don’t get me wrong, great victory! But without Wilson’s clutch 4th quarter, this was a loss in the making.

That being said, if we recover even a third of all those fumbles we might have won easily.

On the offensive side, it was a good Game Plan and even better ADJUSTMENTS during play, based on the situation on the field. I'll take it!! Also, the QB protection and blitz pickup--awesome when it mattered most.

Remember how we'd all rip Bevell for his failure to adjust before halftime? Isn't it awesome that Schotty adjusted in real time, during the game?

As far as the defensive game plan, what can you say? The Hawks are a bit thin, especially against a team like Carolina. All I can say is that Norton dialed up just enough stuff to stop red zone threats, and the Hawks defenders made just enough plays. The defensive game plan now probably includes getting KJ back, getting Kendricks in, and teaching Calitro more about how to be an NFL linebacker, and watching lots of film.

Carolina, with their own smash-mouth running game, is a pretty tough challenge, overall, tougher even that Green Bay. In two consecutive games vs. tough teams, and playing from behind, our D made key stops to get the ball back and win the game. Even if Carroll + Norton's D game plan didn't really "work", their adjustments and key plays at the right time were *just enough* and as much as we could hope for from a young D like ours.

Probably the biggest "Game Plan" credit would go to Pete Carroll, for knowing that our Offense would need to score about 30 points to beat Carolina, and authorizing, encouraging Schotty to make ALL needed adjustments to score and have the offense take up the slack.

Tical21

Reaction score
Which side of the ball are you referring to?

Offensively, our plan was most likely to come out running, but Carolina stacked the box early, and was not going to let the run beat them. We still probably ran too often, but you have to do that a little. You could tell early that if we got the ball out of Russ' hands, there weren't a ton of guys in coverage. It was fantastic to see that we could pass efficiently when the situation dictated we do so. I was a little worried about what would happen when teams stacked the box against us. Very positive sign.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Sure looked to me like they had an air attack planned for the inevitable failure of the running game against one of the stoutest run defenses in the NFL. They smoothly shifted gears to that part of the game plan. They didn’t stubbornly stick to the run. That was the obvious game plan, to anyone who has watched Carolina this year. Show some early commitment to the run then go play action.

I thought they tried too hard to get Penny involved. He’s not physical enough yet to square off against a Carolina. I wouldn’t have bothered giving him any carries in this game. Predictably, Carolina shut him down. Thankfully, we didn’t force the issue.

All in all a great offensive game plan. I give it an A minus.