Question about the Panthers end of half fg

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I asked this in the game day forum and didn’t get an answer. With the clock running and no time outs the panthers ran the kicking unit out. My question is do the substitution rules apply? Could the Hawks take their time getting personal on the field allowing the clock to run down?

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2h6jco7w said:
I asked this in the game day forum and didn’t get an answer. With the clock running and no time outs the panthers ran the kicking unit out. My question is do the substitution rules apply? Could the Hawks take their time getting personal on the field allowing the clock to run down?

Are you serious?

Once the offence is set they can snap the ball. How do you think Rodgers is so lauded for catching teams substituting & getting free plays?

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":1ed4kyct said:
Flyingsquad23":1ed4kyct said:

Are you serious?

Once the offence is set they can snap the ball. How do you think Rodgers is so lauded for catching teams substituting & getting free plays?

if the offense is substituting the defense is supposed to be allowed time to substitute also.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":1tptpd40 said:
Flyingsquad23":1tptpd40 said:

Are you serious?

Actually Rodgers does it when he doesn't make any substitutions on offense. The rule was changed a few years back so if the offense makes substitutions there must be time for the defense to do the same.

To answer the above question, the refs could stop the clock to allow defensive substitutions if necessary, but the defense couldn't use it to run the clock out. With that said, I'm not sure if that rule applies to the special teams aspect or if it's strictly for offenses.

Either way, we did the right thing by having them try to rush the kick. The holder basically performed a miracle getting that bad snap cleaned up and held properly for the kick. That could have easily been messed up.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Quick snap rule: The officials will stand over the ball and give the defense a chance to respond to any substitutions made by the offense. I recommend reading the NFL rule book posted online for the full answer. The short answer is that the quick snap rule does not apply in the final 2 minutes of each half except when the offense is punting.

The quick snap rule does not apply to the Rodgers example when the Packers have not substituted themselves. The idea is that by not substituting after a big play they are then able to catch the opposing defense out while they are substituting.

OP
OP
Flyingsquad23

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Thanks for most of the replies, I knew they stopped the play clock when allowing the substitutions but wasn't sure if the game clock kept rolling.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Hollandhawk":38dnzcxk said:
Hockey Guy":38dnzcxk said:
Flyingsquad23":38dnzcxk said:

Are you serious?

if the offense is substituting the defense is supposed to be allowed time to substitute also.

Cant stand to see Rodgers quick snap. Very cheap and borderline cheating in my opinion. Wouldn't you want to beat a team at its best to be considered the best. Poor sportsmanship = Aaron Rodgers

chris98251

Reaction score
BChawkfan":36ckid03 said:
Hollandhawk":36ckid03 said:
Hockey Guy":36ckid03 said:
Flyingsquad23":36ckid03 said:

Are you serious?

Cant stand to see Rodgers quick snap. Very cheap and borderline cheating in my opinion. Wouldn't you want to beat a team at its best to be considered the best. Poor sportsmanship = Aaron Rodgers

Brady does the same stuff all the time as well.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I guess my Rodgers thing was wrong but the officials would never let the defence to kill the clock by a slow substitution while the FG unit on offence is ready to go.

Okay, maybe if it was the Seahawks kicking the FG.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Really despise that Rodgers/Brady 12 men on the field penalty C^@9. If the defense is legitimately mixed up, and has 12 players on the field intending to take the next snap, then I'm ok with the penalty.

I wish they would change to hockey rules, if the 12th defender is within 2 yards of the sideline, running out of the field of play, clearly trying to get off the field, then it shouldn't be a penalty.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":199dejnf said:
I guess my Rodgers thing was wrong but the officials would never let the defence to kill the clock by a slow substitution while the FG unit on offence is ready to go.

Okay, maybe if it was the Seahawks kicking the FG.

If the refs saw that we were time wasting subbing, then they'd probably throw a flag or stop the clock.

Did Pete ever say why he called a time out before that? Made no sense to help out the Panthers calling a time out when they were out of theirs. Maybe they'd still kick the FG, but I would still like to know why Pete called it.

OP
OP
Flyingsquad23

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
The t.o. was called after the panthers made a first down giving them a little momentum so I would guess Pete called it so the defense could get a quick breather and make sure they were all on the same page for the final 1:46

mikeak

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":1qh0hq5m said:
Flyingsquad23":1qh0hq5m said:

Are you serious?

If you are going to answer in a cocky way then you should know the rules properly. When you don't maybe try asking nicer questions

Rodgers is lauded for this when the do NOT substitute

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
mikeak":3uq9c68q said:
Hockey Guy":3uq9c68q said:
Flyingsquad23":3uq9c68q said:

Are you serious?

If you are going to answer in a cocky way then you should know the rules properly. When you don't maybe try asking nicer questions

*they

/thread

At least I've already admitted my error.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":2py90hah said:
mikeak":2py90hah said:
Hockey Guy":2py90hah said:
Flyingsquad23":2py90hah said:

Are you serious?

*they

/thread

At least I've already admitted my error.

OH NO I missed a letter when typing. The horror

My point was your tone. Right or wrong how about you consider that next time