"Are we witnessing Pete Carroll's coaching masterpiece?"

sc85sis

Reaction score
Are we witnessing Pete Carroll's coaching masterpiece?

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- This is a story of preparation, and of why one of the greatest coaches of his era might be in the midst of one of the greatest coaching jobs he has ever done.

But while outside perception of Carroll seems to lean hard on the energy angle -- the rapid-fire delivery, the manic gum-chewing and the youthful energy that belies his 67 years -- the true trademark of Carroll's program is preparation. The reasons it was a mistake to assume the Seahawks were in for a down year in spite of their offseason roster overhaul were (A) Wilson and (B) Carroll's program. He spoke openly in training camp about how the culture wouldn't change just because the names on the jerseys changed, and the bedrock of that belief was preparation.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2537 ... asterpiece

I've said (written) it before, and I'll do so again now: Pete isn't perfect. He's not. No one is (Bill Belichick is one of—if not THE—greatest NFL coaches in the modern era, and he makes mistakes too). But all those people who have been doubting him, thinking the game had passed him by, that he needed to go, well those people really do not understand Pete Carroll. Perfect? Nope. Still a damned good coach, and the best this team has had? Yep.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
The thing that makes him great is his ability to instill belief in his players. They are never out of it. They never give up. They play harder as the game wears on. That's a special trait to be able to get guys to play hard when all seems lost.

He may never be the X's and 0's guy like an Andy Reid. But he will teach fundamentals. He will teach sound technique. He will help athletes be their best version of themselves. Some guys are mad scientists and some guys are just plain ole ball coaches. Coach Carroll is a true coach.

This season was so set up for 6-10 or 7-9. Lost so many key players from an all time great defense. New Coaches at every level. 0-2 start. It could have all fallen apart so easily. But it hasn't. If we end up 10-6 or 11-5, Carroll deserves coach of the year. Deserved it in 2010, 2012 and 2013 too but media are dumb.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Should be in the running for Coach of the Year after everyone (except us Dot Net diehards) thought the team would get maybe 4 wins and end up a woeful 4th place in the NFCW? Yep. Fer Sher.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Coach of the Year (assuming the Seahawks make the playoffs).

No coach has performed better against expectation. He overhauled his assistant coaching staff; helped resuscitate one of the weakest offensive lines over the last several years by hiring Solari; built the best rushing offense in the NFL by hiring Schottenheimer and handpicking Chris Carson in the 7th round of last year’s draft; and maintained a Top 10 NFL defense, despite an incredible talent exodus. No coach has done more with less.

OP
OP
sc85sis

sc85sis

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2j7j6ozp said:

No coach has performed better against expectation. He overhauled his assistant coaching staff; helped resuscitate one of the weakest offensive lines over the last several years by hiring Solari; built the best rushing offense in the NFL by hiring Schottenheimer and handpicking Chris Carson in the 7th round of last year’s draft; and maintained an above average NFL defense, despite an incredible talent exodus. No coach has done more with less.

I think it's likely to come down to him and Nagy of the Bears. And knowing how it tends to go, Nagy will probably get it, and that would truly suck because Pete (and John, for that matter) have never gotten the credit they deserve in terms of individual awards. They probably don't care, but it irks me when people aren't appreciated for what they do.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The three most talent-laden teams in the NFL are all led by coaches who have already won Coach of the Year before.

Sean Payton has already won it. Andy Reid has won it. Sean McVay won it last year. None of those coaches have accomplished as much as Carroll. They certainly are not working against as many obstacles as Carroll this year.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1x05q94g said:

No coach has performed better against expectation. He overhauled his assistant coaching staff; helped resuscitate one of the weakest offensive lines over the last several years by hiring Solari; built the best rushing offense in the NFL by hiring Schottenheimer and handpicking Chris Carson in the 7th round of last year’s draft; and maintained a Top 10 NFL defense, despite an incredible talent exodus. No coach has done more with less.

Well to be fair, Reich has been doing a nice job with the Colts.

But the fact that Jason Garrett has won Coach of the Year and Pete Carroll hasn't is an atrocity that needs to be corrected. Let alone the hall of fame coaching list of Dick Jauron, Ron Rivera (twice no less), Bruce Arians (twice no less), Lovie Smith, Jim Haslett.

Carroll is probably the second best coach of this era right behind Belichek, who has 3 trophies. Carroll has no trophies. It's pretty ridiculous.

chris98251

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2om8n3r9 said:
hawknation2018":2om8n3r9 said:

Well to be fair, Reich has been doing a nice job with the Colts.

But the fact that Jason Garrett has won Coach of the Year and Pete Carroll hasn't is an atrocity that needs to be corrected. Let alone the hall of fame coaching list of Dick Jauron, Ron Rivera (twice no less), Bruce Arians (twice no less), Lovie Smith, Jim Haslett.

Carroll is probably the second best coach of this era right behind Belichek, who has 3 trophies. Carroll has no trophies. It's pretty ridiculous.

Carroll has a trophy should have had more I will stop there, he should have also had Coach of the year with his quick rebuld that got us to a Supert Bowl, Schnieder should have had Executive of the year for the Job he did with Pete during that same time.

Reich will get it becasue why? Once again Andrew Luck. The same reason Schnieder didn't win it when he should have.

Luck has been almost healthy and they are on a win streak, we will see how far they go but the spotlight will shine there.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Who knows how long Pete wants to stay coaching but he seems to be having a blast and doesn't look like a 67 year old. I think what we witnessed this offseason is something that will need to happen sooner rather than later going forward to keep his mantra and program beliefs. Players who tune out his message and divide the locker room need to be shown the door if they won't change their attitude, regardless of ability. Trust their ability to coach players up and keep churning depth to find new guys.

Nagy, Pete, and Reich all have a good shot at winning it this year and each can be justified. I'm biased wanting Pete to win because of how drastically different this team is from a year ago, everyone in the national media writing them off as a bottom 5 team, and they still are hitting their late season stride towards the playoffs like nothing changed. It's unlikely the Rams will drop the division but Pete getting this team of brand new faces back to the playoffs should definitely have him in the top 3 deserving coaches.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
The only way Pete gets a shot at Coach of the Year is if he gets this team to the playoffs. And even that is not a guarantee.

Is this his masterpiece? I don't think so. His masterpiece is taking one of the worst teams and performing 276 roster moves in the first year, drafting and starting a 3rd round draft pick too short QB the 3rd year, and winning the Owl in the 4th year.

4 years to take a team from one of the worst to THE BEST.

This year he got to start with one of the best QBs and one of the best LBs in the league.

Still, he deserves Coach of the Year this year no matter.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Masterpiece, I dont know...but Return of the Jedi.....probably as he has rebuilt the defense again.

sdog1981

Reaction score
This has all the makings of a coach of the year award. Low media expectations are required these days to win the coach of the year award.

Here is the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... Year_Award

Man, the media got really sloppy in the 90's and onward with the award. Look in the 80's you had to have one of the best teams in the league to win the award.

Look at Ron Rivera the guy takes his 12-4 2013 team and runs it into the ground 7-8-1 in 2014 almost loses his job then goes 15-1 in 2015 to win the award for the 2nd time in 3 years. The next year he takes that talented team to a 6-10 record.

I think this is the year Pete and John get their awards.

They should get retroactive awards for 2012.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Coach of the Year has been a complete joke, just look at the recipients. They give it to coaches with talented teams even if the coach has no say in personnel matters. They should just give it to Belichick every year.

sdog1981

Reaction score
AgentDib":1x3s5z2f said:
Coach of the Year has been a complete joke, just look at the recipients. They give it to coaches with talented teams even if the coach has no say in personnel matters. They should just give it to Belichick every year.

At least they gave it to Belichick when his team went 16-0. Jim Haslet has a coach of the year award. So yeah they owe Pete at least two.

Seafan

Reaction score
I posted about 7 years ago during the 7-9 season how I appreciated the fact that Pete's teams never quit. They played to the end of the game and that made them fun to watch despite their record. Pete is great at motivation.

He is also a DB guru. You really have to give him credit for that. He has found and groomed some studs late in the draft.

Even though he's a defensive coach he has an eye for offensive talent too.

It seems the national media is finally giving Pete the props he deserves. He deserves COY IMO simply because the Hawks weren't suppose to win more than 4 games.

Many speculated the game had passed him and his philosophy didn't work. Some of the 12s were calling for his departure as well.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
AgentDib":3fyv7qtq said:

Yes.

That said, Pete remains one of the best on the defensive side. Schotty seems to be taking care of the rest...

Mad Dog

Reaction score
To me 2010 and 2011 were coaching masterpieces. 7-9 with the talent he had? Beating NO in a playoff game?

With Wagner and Wilson, 7-9 would always be the floor. Pete is working on hitting the ceiling of 10 wins with this talent. If he busts it open to 11 wins with this team and this schedule he is the de facto coach of the year no matter the media votes.

Fade

Reaction score
My vote would go to Belichick right now. That team is playing way over their heads and will probably be representing the AFC in the superbowl. Which they have no business doing imo, they don't have enough talent, but they got the coaching.

In the AFC
San Diego
Pittsburgh
Houston
Kansas City
Baltimore
Maybe even Denver collectively are all more talented personnel wise than the Pats, but they got Belichick so it is moot.

I will switch my vote to Pete Carroll if the Seahawks win out, and the Pats drop a couple down the stretch.

@ Mad Dog: I agree Pete was amazing in 2010 & 2011. Pete could top 2010 this year, but he has to finish it, we aren't through the woods yet.