Terrible call on Griffin

sprhawk73

Reaction score
The pass interference call against Griffin late in the 3rd was the worst I've seen since SB XL.

I loved the win but am seriously concerned about how critical ref calls are. The NFL has to come up with a more accurate way of officiating.

We've played some really tight games this year, 6 games had a 1 score differential.

knownone

Reaction score
sprhawk73":3s5uvhax said:
The pass interference call against Griffin late in the 3rd was the worst I've seen since SB XL.

I loved the win but am seriously concerned about how critical ref calls are. The NFL has to come up with a more accurate way of officiating.

We've played some really tight games this year, 6 games had a 1 score differential.
Uh, I'm all for fanning the flames of conspiracy theories but that was a pretty obvious PI. He didn't turn his head, he jumped into the receiver before the ball arrived. On top of that, this isn't even the first time he's been called for a similar penalty.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Watching the replay, you're right, it was pathetic. He didn't even touch the guy til the ball got there. Almost as bad as the guy grabbing Moore's arms with BOTH hands and pulling him. But I'm sure the NFL would have said that Moore was pushing off. Yawn.

rcaido

Reaction score
Yeah he didn't turn his head around but he didn't touch him until after...Should have been a no call.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
knownone":1tw9e812 said:
sprhawk73":1tw9e812 said:

Uh, I'm all for fanning the flames of conspiracy theories but that was a pretty obvious PI. He didn't turn his head, he jumped into the receiver before the ball arrived. On top of that, this isn't even the first time he's been called for a similar penalty.

Turning your head is only relevant if you make significant contact with the receiver before the ball arrives. I thought Griffin timed it pretty well but I guess the ref thought he got there a tad early.

And I have no idea what the relevance is of Griffin having a similar penalty in the past. Probably 90% of CB's have gotten caught making contact without turning their heads. Usually that happens when you are beat and trying to catch up to a receiver that's braking for an underthrown ball.

mikeak

Reaction score
I made this point but nobody agreed. Probably because of worthless commentators saying it was blatant PI

He did what I mainly see in basketball with a perfect straight up jump without making contact. He also had his arms up and faceguarded - which is legal but nobody understands it.

Yes OP atrocious call

sdog1981

Reaction score
He got beat and jumped on the WR to save a TD. Made no effort to find the ball.

mikeak

Reaction score
sdog1981":3q914k3m said:

Watch it again. Any contact is only brushing up. It was a perfect pull-up jumper. And he doesn't need to locate the football

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I thought he made pretty significant contact while also putting his arms up to screen while never looking back for the ball.

Unless they changed the rule to the benefit of the defence, that was always pass interference.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":3kodlpll said:
I thought he made pretty significant contact while also putting his arms up to screen while never looking back for the ball.

Unless they changed the rule to the benefit of the defence, that was always pass interference.
Screening is legal. Never looking back is legal. The issue is really how much contact and when. I thought the significant contact occurred as the ball arrived.

sdog1981

Reaction score
mikeak":1j0wkp26 said:
sdog1981":1j0wkp26 said:

Watch it again. Any contact is only brushing up. It was a perfect pull-up jumper. And he doesn't need to locate the football

What? Have you not watched football since the 1970's? If you don't get your head around it is called PI 10 out of 10 times.

Seafan

Reaction score
The egregious no call was the obvious pick that allowed them to score. Refs make mistakes but that one was awful.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It was a legit PI call by the official interpretation of that rule. It was ever so marginally PI, but to my eyes it was unfortunately the correct call based on the rule.

While there is some room for debate on the merits of the call, it was not a horrible call. Maybe it doesn't get called on the home team in that same situation, or maybe it does.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
sdog1981":m76zq4s5 said:
mikeak":m76zq4s5 said:
sdog1981":m76zq4s5 said:

What? Have you not watched football since the 1970's? If you don't get your head around it is called PI 10 out of 10 times.

Probably with only a modicum of looking could find about a dozen examples of that play not getting called. "10 out of 10" is hyperbole.

Heck in the same game Moore got his arm grabbed by a beaten CB not looking back and there was no PI call.

The "not looking back thing" is only relevant if you run into the receiver prior to the ball arriving. I thought it was close if you watch the replay. Which generally means it can go either way with he officials. It didn't go our way. But I wouldn't call it an absolute.

I'm not saying the ref was right or the OP was right. It was a close call in my view. Neither an egregious mistake or a "Clear and Obvious" PI.