Wilsons pocket presence has looked AMAZING lately!!

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
As much as his pocket precense looked questionable early season, it has looked amaaazing lately. Like he extends several plays as long as he did in the good ole day, but by manouvering the pocket instead of running in half circles backwards. So nice to see!

Scorpion05

Reaction score
He did have a bad sack today spinning backwards but overall, his pocket presence has looked good. That's what happens when a QB trusts their protection. When they don't, they get paranoid, bail the pocket etc.

I hope the absence of Fluker doesn't cause Russ to adlib too much. Seems like as soon as Fluker went out Russ was getting hammered

Natethegreat

Reaction score
He had some Aaron Rodgers type slides in the pocket that were fantastic.

Crizilla

Reaction score
i thought this too, wow he looked good stepping up in the pocket and releasing. Not a lot of throws today but he made them count!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Mostly better, that 16 yard sack was inexcusable however.
Try to duck the lineman and take the 6 yard loss if you can’t duck him.

chris98251

Reaction score
He was ascending into the pocket much better today, he regressed when Fluker got injured.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Natethegreat":32qug27p said:
He had some Aaron Rodgers type slides in the pocket that were fantastic.

Agreed. After Fluker left he seemed far less confident. But up to that point he was, dare I say, Rodgers-esque including a bit of swagger that I hope is a harbinger of things to come.

GO HAWKS!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Still more critical posts than congratulatory for our QB on what’s supposed to be a Sea Hawk fan forum. I get the feeling many of you are forty whiners in hawk clothing.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
brimsalabim":24uiki6z said:
Still more critical posts than congratulatory for our QB on what’s supposed to be a Sea Hawk fan forum. I get the feeling many of you are forty whiners in hawk clothing.
If you are referring to this thread you are off base, please re-read.

Fade had a great thread about how great RW is, you might want to check it out.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
No I’m not “off base” and I have followed Fade’s thread. It’s got some good stuff however ever positive post is followed by the attacks of trolls.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
brimsalabim":rxj1hhf1 said:
No I’m not “off base” and I have followed Fade’s thread. It’s got some good stuff however ever positive post is followed by the attacks of trolls.
Ignore the noise. Haters gonna hate!
The numbers say he is one of the best QB’s in the NFL, the experts say he is one of the best in the NFL, opposing coaches and players (not named Sherman) say he’s one the best in the NFL.

Don’t let what some anonymous shulb on a forum ruin your day because they refuse to accept facts.

Wilson irritates me at times when he runs backwards and turns a 6 yard sack into a 16 yard sack and when he hangs on to the ball too long and takes sacks. ... but overall I’m glad he’s my teams QB and when you give him time he’s usually money!

No Russ = No Lombardi in the trophy case!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3pwtknkp said:
No I’m not “off base”.

Yes, you are. We can criticize our QB and love him to pieces on the same board.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Russ is going to extend plays. Depending on our position on the field, I am actually perfectly okay with him extending plays and taking the occasional deep sack. It's only when, like in the Bears or Broncos game when the O-line was clearly over matched...that I felt like he should get rid of the ball

That TD to Brown on Sherman is a great example of an extended play. And Sherman couldn't handle the extension of the play

Fade

Reaction score
First I will critique 3 of Wilson's sacks as they may appear to have been bad, but let me break them down for you peeps.

Off the top of the head here, but you will know the ones I am talking about.

1) Russ appeared to have a bad sack on a 3rd 9. Wilson had a great pocket, a lot of time, but all the receivers ran stop routes at the sticks, and SF defense was sitting on them. No where to go with the ball. Coverage Sack.

2) Similar to situation 1 TV broadcast didn't show all the routes though, but I would put this one on Wilson because he escaped the pocket, but was lazily unaware that a defender was right there and he got shoe string tackled from behind. He could of ran for a lot of yards with better awareness there. That one was on Wilson.

3) 1st and goal from the 1. Why are they throwing here? Horrible play call. Even if you don't score with a run, the clock keeps running. Dumb play call. Russ was also horrible taking a 16 yard loss on the play. They were both terrible. Carroll, Schotty, & Wilson need to be smarter here. Run the ball three times if you have too, fully displaying your mentality as a running team. You either get the TD, or you chew up more clock. Win, win.

Wilson's overall pocket presense is definitely showing up, because when he dives into the film, he is seeing a pocket so he is more willing to stand in there. Years past it was a dumpster fire up front so he didn't trust it. (I wouldn't either if I was him.)
Schotty & Solari have both been big benefits in this area for Wilson. The offense is also getting better every week collectively which is a strong albeit obvious sign they are being well coached.

This team is so damn close to being great. They just need to upgrade a few spots on defense, and they will take back the NFC West from the Rams.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Fade":131d5e68 said:
First I will critique 3 of Wilson's sacks as they may appear to have been bad, but let me break them down for you peeps.

1) Russ appeared to have a bad sack on a 3rd 9. Wilson had a great pocket, a lot of time, but all the receivers ran stop routes at the sticks, and SF defense was sitting on them. No where to go with the ball. Coverage Sack.

2) Similar to situation 1 TV broadcast didn't show all the routes though, but I would put this one on Wilson because he escaped the pocket, but was lazily unaware that a defender was right there and he got shoe string tackled from behind. He could of ran for a lot of yards with better awareness there. That one was on Wilson.

3) 1st and goal from the 1. Why are they throwing here? Horrible play call. Even if you don't score with a run, the clock keeps running. Dumb play call. Russ was also horrible taking a 16 yard loss on the play. They were both terrible. Carroll, Schotty, & Wilson need to be smarter here. Run the ball three times if you have too, fully displaying your mentality as a running team. You either get the TD, or you chew up more clock. Win, win.

Wilson's overall pocket presense is definitely showing up, because when he dives into the film, he is seeing a pocket so he is more willing to stand in there. Years past it was a dumpster fire up front so he didn't trust it. (I wouldn't either if I was him.)
Schotty & Solari have both been big benefits in this area for Wilson. The offense is also getting better every week collectively which is a strong albeit obvious sign they are being well coached.

This team is so damn close to being great. They just need to upgrade a few spots on defense, and they will take back the NFC West from the Rams.

I disagree on tge #3 point. If tyler chips the DE, then its a easy TD to Davis. The playcall wasn't the issue as much as the execution.

Fade

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2k1z9d7h said:
Fade":2k1z9d7h said:

I disagree on tge #3 point. If tyler chips the DE, then its a easy TD to Davis. The playcall wasn't the issue as much as the execution.

I missed that. I haven't had the opportunity to watch it multiple times yet (don't think I will either, not worth it), so you're probably right on that. End of the day though big picture situation wise. When the Seahawks are up big in the 4th -> run the ball, and run out the clock, impose your will. Just my philosophy on it in that situation.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There was a guy a few rows back from us that was whining about a Russ play way after the fact. Even after he threw his 4TH TOUCHDOWN pass. Because, forget talking about yet another excellent game, let's dwell on a negative play. Meh, he was $ yet again.
And I couldn't agree more on the play call, 1st and goal from the 1 and you call a pass play???? Best running game in the NFL, let's get Bevell level cute. Dumb.

capncrunch

Reaction score
Yes. I was thinkinge the same thing. Run the ball three times. Maybe fake a run on a 4th down attempt if inside the two yard line and try a pass. Lots of clock to chew up there, demoralize the 49ers. Possibly no points with them starting a drive on the 1 yard line would be okay. Good chance for a safety. I personally don't see them failing to punch it in with three or even four attempts. Good practice for our goal line offense too. Maybe with Tre Madden active they are more likely to do that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I love that he took a 16 yard sack on first and goal from the one AND STILL throws a TD pass to end the drive...

On Sherman.

The great and not so good of wilson epitomized

mistaowen

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1yy8t9sr said:
Fade":1yy8t9sr said:

Yep, Davis was wide open in the end zone but because the DE got straight line pressure on Russell it forced him to spin away, not see Davis, and take the huge sack. Lockett was way late chipping him and the DE seemed to know what was coming. I'm not sure if it was design or just incorrectly lined up but Lockett seemed like he was too wide to begin with.

Latest posts