Standings

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask why Dallas is above us in the standings?

I know in playoff seedings they are above because they are leading thier division, is that the reason for them being above us in conference standings?
Even though we have the head to head?

Anyways we are a top 10 team in the league regardless!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
They are leading their division.

Fade

Reaction score
EmbattleTheeHawks":dt47rj3y said:

I know in playoff seedings they are above because they are leading thier division, is that the reason for them being above us in conference standings?

Division champs are guaranteed the top 4 seeds regardless of their record.

Dallas could finish 7-9 as an example and if it were good enough to win the division they would be given the #4 seed.

Seattle could go 11-5 and the highest seed they could obtain is the #5 because they cannot win their division.

Personally I like it this way as teams play everyone in their division twice. And the value of finishing with the division crown feels like a real reward.

If they wanted to switch it up and go by record, then I would want a round robin tournament within the conference. (everyone has to play everyone.) 15 games. Then 1 game against the opposite conference who finished in the same place as the team the previous season.

The NFL got this one right. Divisional play matters, and winning your division has value.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Fade":1pckuyve said:
EmbattleTheeHawks":1pckuyve said:

Dallas could finish 7-9 as an example and if it were good enough to win the division they would be given the #4 seed.

Seattle could go 11-5 and the highest seed they could obtain is the #5 because they cannot win their division.

Personally I like it this way as teams play everyone in their division twice. And the value of finishing with the division crown feels like a real reward.

If they wanted to switch it up and go by record, then I would want a round robin tournament within the conference. (everyone has to play everyone.) 15 games. Then 1 game against the opposite conference who finished in the same place as the team the previous season.

The NFL got this one right. Divisional play matters, and winning your division has value.

Never forget, the Beastquake was in a game we were 10 point underdogs to the defending champs who were 11-5 after we won the NFC West at 7-9.

OP
OP
T

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
Like I said, I understand in playoff seedings leading the division trumps, but in the conference standings? Or is that the reason there too?

If Dallas and Seattle were both wildcards conference standings would suggest Dallas is above Seattle, that's why I ask.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
EmbattleTheeHawks":3pufonc7 said:
Like I said, I understand in playoff seedings leading the division trumps, but in the conference standings? Or is that the reason there too?

If Dallas and Seattle were both wildcards conference standings would suggest Dallas is above Seattle, that's why I ask.

Given equal records, no. Because Seattle owns the Head to Head tiebreaker

HawkGA

Reaction score
Maulbert":2dynuy8b said:
Fade":2dynuy8b said:
EmbattleTheeHawks":2dynuy8b said:

Never forget, the Beastquake was in a game we were 10 point underdogs to the defending champs who were 11-5 after we won the NFC West at 7-9.

I would love to see Dallas win the division at 7-9 and then listen to all the complaints in the media about them getting a home playoff game with a losing record.

Well, I would love to hear the complaints but I doubt there would be any, unlike when a certain other team that.

sutz

Reaction score
EmbattleTheeHawks":383csdf1 said:

Not sure where you're getting the 'conference standing' ratings. :229031_shrug:

I normally just see two lists, the playoffs seedings, and the conference standings sorted by divisions. I don't think I've ever seen the conference listed as all 16 teams in one list.

Perhaps your looking at a "power ranking" chart or something? Would like to see where you are sourcing this.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkGA":snes59ow said:
Maulbert":snes59ow said:
Fade":snes59ow said:
EmbattleTheeHawks":snes59ow said:

I would love to see Dallas win the division at 7-9 and then listen to all the complaints in the media about them getting a home playoff game with a losing record.

Well, I would love to hear the complaints but I doubt there would be any, unlike when a certain other team that.
Yep, you’d hear nothing about it from the media and NFL.

I wasn’t a fan when Seattle beniefted from it (see Beastquake game) I don’t like it now.

You shouldn’t be rewarded twice for playing in a crappy division. It’s bad enough you make the playoffs @ 7-9 or 8-8, and then you get rewarded again for being a division winner and get a home game.

I think the seedings for home playoff games should be by record.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
If you play against an opponent twice I actually don’t see an issue with winning your division being a criteria. Those other 3 teams have a significant impact on your season and you should be rewarded for winning those games

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkGA":2yfo930o said:
Maulbert":2yfo930o said:
Fade":2yfo930o said:
EmbattleTheeHawks":2yfo930o said:

Yep, you’d hear nothing about it from the media and NFL.

I wasn’t a fan when Seattle beniefted from it (see Beastquake game) I don’t like it now.

You shouldn’t be rewarded for playing in a crappy division.

I think the seedings should be by record.

OP
OP
T

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
sutz":1an2htyr said:
EmbattleTheeHawks":1an2htyr said:

I normally just see two lists, the playoffs seedings, and the conference standings sorted by divisions. I don't think I've ever seen the conference listed as all 16 teams in one list.

Perhaps your looking at a "power ranking" chart or something? Would like to see where you are sourcing this.

Don't know how to post a screenshot but go here http://www.espn.com/nfl/standings and they have League, Conference, Division Standings and also here https://www.nfl.com/standings/conference/2018/REG

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
EmbattleTheeHawks":23gf8muv said:
sutz":23gf8muv said:
EmbattleTheeHawks":23gf8muv said:

Don't know how to post a screenshot but go here http://www.espn.com/nfl/standings and they have League, Conference, Division Standings and also here https://www.nfl.com/standings/conference/2018/REG

I saw those too. What I usually do is copy and paste the page. The second one will not let me copy it. I understand what you are looking at. The Boys are above us because they are leading the division as is said above. If they were in a wildcard race, we would be above them. But they are not...they are leading their division. I look at the espn page as well just to get divisional bearings as to where they are in their division. That way I can get my own vision of what is going on. Polaris is doing pretty good on the scenarios and I read them when they are posted. He is fantastic at this.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I thought there was talk of maybe going to a system where division winners still made it in, but then receding the conference based on record. It probably always comes up when a 7-9 division winner happens and gets a home game.

sdog1981

Reaction score
This is some NFL playoff seeding 101 in this topic.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":3oc5t1uu said:
I thought there was talk of maybe going to a system where division winners still made it in, but then receding the conference based on record. It probably always comes up when a 7-9 division winner happens and gets a home game.

Meh. I think it's fine as it is; as long as there are 32 teams, pretty much everything about the divisions, seeding, and # of games per season works great so any talk of changing it i'm always weary of.

6 games against your division

4 games against another division, rotating

4 games against a division in the over conference, rotating.

2 games against the two two teams in the conference that finished in the same place as you in their division.

It's a perfect setup. And if you win your division you earn a home game - I think that's great, it gives those games extra meaning, you build rivalries.

As I see it the two wild card teams are lucky to be there and should not be given home games/higher seeding. the very idea that they are wild card teams to begin with is based on the premise that they snuck in.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":uqf7099q said:
OrangeGravy":uqf7099q said:

Meh. I think it's fine as it is; as long as there are 32 teams, pretty much everything about the divisions, seeding, and # of games per season works great so any talk of changing it i'm always weary of.

6 games against your division

4 games against another division, rotating

4 games against a division in the over conference, rotating.

2 games against the two two teams in the conference that finished in the same place as you in their division.

It's a perfect setup. And if you win your division you earn a home game - I think that's great, it gives those games extra meaning, you build rivalries.

As I see it the two wild card teams are lucky to be there and should not be given home games/higher seeding. the very idea that they are wild card teams to begin with is based on the premise that they snuck in.
I see your point on average, but there are times when two excellent teams come from the same division. In 2010 the 11-5 New Orleans Saints had to travel west to the 7-9 Seattle Seahawks because the Atlanta Falcons finished above them at 13-3. The Chicago Bears were also 11-5 and the #2 seed having won their division, and they were the only team equal to New Orleans' record. All other NFC teams were worse.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2rxbt3jh said:
I see your point on average, but there are times when two excellent teams come from the same division. In 2010 the 11-5 New Orleans Saints had to travel west to the 7-9 Seattle Seahawks because the Atlanta Falcons finished above them at 13-3. The Chicago Bears were also 11-5 and the #2 seed having won their division, and they were the only team equal to New Orleans' record. All other NFC teams were worse.

If we changed the playoff seeding system, then this would have never happened............and I don't want to live in world where this never happened.

GgyFreeAsiaticlesserfreshwaterclam size restricted

/discussion

Fade

Reaction score
Records don't tell the whole story due to unbalanced scheduling. The 9-7 Divisional winner could very well be better than the 11-5 Wild Card opponent.

The 9-7 team could be in a tough division (they all beat up on each other). And the 11-5 team had the luck of the draw and didn't play very many winning teams throughout the year.