Vincent Valentine....

jmahon316

Reaction score
Jville":27h0gte6 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1070097823180288000[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/1070098366116319232[/tweet]

[youtube]wZozXj8SU7Q[/youtube]

Just curious what everyone's thoughts on this are...I found it interesting that he was chosen over Ellerbee on the PS after Ellerbee got waived from the 53...He looks like a solid prospect, getting chosen in the 3rd round of the 2016 draft by the Patriots, as long as he can stay healthy and keep his weight more-so on the healthy side to prevent injuries...Opinions?

chris98251

Reaction score
jmahon316":3lgil34w said:
Jville":3lgil34w said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1070097823180288000[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/1070098366116319232[/tweet]

[youtube]wZozXj8SU7Q[/youtube]

Just curious what everyone's thoughts on this are...I found it interesting that he was chosen over Ellerbee on the PS after Ellerbee got waived from the 53...He looks like a solid prospect, getting chosen in the 3rd round of the 2016 draft by the Patriots, as long as he can stay healthy and keep his weight more-so on the healthy side to prevent injuries...Opinions?

Kendricks is here, possible play offs coming and depth in the middle based on possible match ups in the future, practice rotation also to keep out guys fresh.

Jville

Reaction score
Vincent Valentine was a big physical lineman in high school that was brought to Nebraska to learn their two gap scheme. Unfortunately, his college strength coach was hired away by Vanderbilt to be their Director of Strength and Conditioning in December of 2014. Nebraska then reportedly altered their defensive scheme in the spring of the following year. As a raw prospect with the Patriots, he began with an encouraging rookie season until he ran into a left knee injury. He spent the following second year on injured reserve. Given that every day is a audition, he was released once the Patriots decide his return from injury had stalled in their program. Arizona was a disappointment.

The Seahawks have perhaps an under appreciated history of looking at two gap run dominate prospects with an eye towards improving their athleticism as they develop technique. Rookie Poona Ford is coming off a terrific side line to side line run stopping pressure game. And Jaren Reed, who was marketed as beginning his Seahawks career as a run stopper, is coming off his best game ever as a pass rusher.

Vincent Valentine feeds that same developmental pipe line. Given that the agenda every day is to get better and better, Vincent may or may not remain at the end of the day or next week. We fans have little visibility as to how well practice squad members are developing. What we do know is that the culture at the VMAC gives Vincent a once in a life time opportunity to discover how productive he can become in the NFL.

I really like this reset of the defensive line. Seems to me that linebackers have more opportunity to play cleaner. Coach Clint Hurtt has been a constructive addition. This could turn out to be good story if Coach Hurtt can succeed at molding Valentine into the player John Schneider thinks he can become.

Always Compete!

toffee

Reaction score
Sounded like dude got the body shape, but not the conditioning or skill?

Jville

Reaction score
I should have mentioned that Valentine saw Coach John Papuchis promoted from defensive line coach to defensive coordinator only to leave Nebraska for North Carolina in February of 2015. Papuchis was the reason Valentine signed with Nebraska.

A lot of college players see the programs they buy into disrupted. That doesn't help the process of their development.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Schneider is always scouring the landscape & turning over every rock, especially important with only four draft picks this spring. The patriots drafted VV in the 3rd, with some luck and effort (& a good knee) we might consider Valentine our 2nd round pick in 19', kind of a Malik McDowell make up pick. I have a buddy who is a huge Nebraska fan (& Seahawk fan) and I remember him favorably mentioning VV in our scattered conversations. As always we are pushing to win a SB, every transaction is geared to achieve that goal. We seem to be a contender at this point when few thought we would be, just another product of the hundreds of efforts of JS & PC.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Suspect he’ll never see the field for us.

And Bill Belichick missed on a 3rd rounder? Say it isn’t so? I thought 3rd rounders were guaranteed starters for every team. When our FO whiffs on a 3rd it’s a catastrophically bad draft by many posters around here.

chris98251

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2gc8d3d0 said:

And Bill Belichick missed on a 3rd rounder? Say it isn’t so? I thought 3rd rounders were guaranteed starters for every team. When our FO whiffs on a 3rd it’s a catastrophically bad draft by many posters around here.

You are Correct whiffing on a Elite QB is still biting us in the Butt. You know if the Shoe Fits Wear it :p

OP
OP
jmahon316

jmahon316

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1d8f3r2s said:

And Bill Belichick missed on a 3rd rounder?
Say it isn’t so? I thought 3rd rounders were guaranteed starters for every team. When our FO whiffs on a 3rd it’s a catastrophically bad draft by many posters around here.

I think the fact that he got injured had a big part in that, I could be wrong though.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Jville":1k1rcq0a said:
Vincent Valentine was a big physical lineman in high school that was brought to Nebraska to learn their two gap scheme. Unfortunately, his college strength coach was hired away by Vanderbilt to be their Director of Strength and Conditioning in December of 2014. Nebraska then reportedly altered their defensive scheme in the spring of the following year. As a raw prospect with the Patriots, he began with an encouraging rookie season until he ran into a left knee injury. He spent the following second year on injured reserve. Given that every day is a audition, he was released once the Patriots decide his return from injury had stalled in their program. Arizona was a disappointment.

The Seahawks have perhaps an under appreciated history of looking at two gap run dominate prospects with an eye towards improving their athleticism as they develop technique. Rookie Poona Ford is coming off a terrific side line to side line run stopping pressure game. And Jaren Reed, who was marketed as beginning his Seahawks career as a run stopper, is coming off his best game ever as a pass rusher.

Vincent Valentine feeds that same developmental pipe line. Given that the agenda every day is to get better and better, Vincent may or may not remain at the end of the day or next week. We fans have little visibility as to how well practice squad members are developing. What we do know is that the culture at the VMAC gives Vincent a once in a life time opportunity to discover how productive he can become in the NFL.

I really like this reset of the defensive line. Seems to me that linebackers have more opportunity to play cleaner. Coach Clint Hurtt has been a constructive addition. This could turn out to be good story if Coach Hurtt can succeed at molding Valentine into the player John Schneider thinks he can become.

Always Compete!

Good post!!! Lots of information, thanks!

This player is interesting as heck b/c he has the physical tools but not the training or consistent conditioning to play at a high level. Clearly to be grabbed 1st by the Pats, and then by the Cardinals there is something potentially there. Coaching him up to be a true Pro player is now the goal for the team. At this point while he’s interesting as heck it is wise to underplay expectations as there are reasons why he wasn’t kept at NE or at AZ. To me this player has likely been on the FO’s radar for some time and i’d Expect if he shows potential to develop and is ‘All In” as far as that is concerned he’ll stick around. His health is a huge factor to be watched as he’s a BIG DUDE and he’s had serious knee issues.

He’s a true potential diamond combed from the scrap pile. Am very curious to see if he develops.