Would Winning the SB this Season Erase " The Play"

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Hawker8989":5j22zz1a said:
Just as the question poses. Would it heal wounds from SB 49?
There's nothing that can happen that can erase the pain of that Super Bowl.

Winning a Super Bowl(s) after that Super Bowl doesn't erase anything.

It will always be the one Super Bowl that got away from us.

Probably like that one girl you like or that one girlfriend you had that got away, and you still think about her even though you may have had one or multiple afterwards.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
The stab in the heart will always be there. That is why I can never watch that game again. Never! Winning another SB will bring its own separate feelings attached.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I don't know. Winning XLVIII pretty much erased XL for me. Maybe because it was the first one and after XL I thought that was going to be the one and only shot in my lifetime.

chris98251

Reaction score
That Super Bowl is something you can't un see, like walking into to the house and seeing Mom and Dad going at it on the Kitchen Table at 50.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
chris98251":etwswtnx said:
That Super Bowl is something you can't un see, like walking into to the house and seeing Mom and Dad going at it on the Kitchen Table at 50.

While you're 50? Or they're 50? Not that either makes it fun.

andyh64000

Reaction score
At the time (or the day after when I had an epic hangover) i felt that if they won the next two super bowls the pain would go away...at this point it is not possible.

Seahawker

Reaction score
SB40 was slow torture & death by a thousand paper cuts. SB49 was a deeper, more intense pain... like being hit in the chest with a swift axe just as you were sure we were about to win back to back superbowls against the vaunted & hated Patriots. Besides the loss of family & friends, the only event that surpasses those two SB losses on the painful for life scale is missing a record class buck during archery season two years ago. I think that should put it into perspective.

Fade

Reaction score
Win 3 Super Bowls in a row, which has never been done before, and I could accept it at least.

But no, that play call did long term damage to everyone involved with the Seahawks org including the fan base.

They then didn't take the necessary measures in the off-season to fix it. Instead choosing to live in denial for several seasons until the proper changes were made. And here we are, a team that finally has turned the page and is making strides now that change has finally come.

As an added bonus it gets brought up again every couple of months on .NET. Great fun.

My favorite part was the out of touch, casual bandwagon fans telling myself and others "It's okay guys we will just go back to the Super Bowl next year and win it."

I was like
Giphy

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If this team wins the Superbowl this year, it would be an amazing story of redemption.

A coach, labeled as too old, stubborn and out of touch with the game, somehow turns a roster around and coaches up a bunch of kids to greatness.

A QB, constantly questioned and overlooked, manages to lead his team back to the pinacle after one of the most embarrassing and heart breaking moments in history.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The obsession with it is really getting old. I feel much less upset about what happened in that game than I did before. Mostly because I am happy and relieved that the team has a new offensive direction that I can believe in.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
BubbaGump":3sllijdm said:
The stab in the heart will always be there. That is why I can never watch that game again. Never! Winning another SB will bring its own separate feelings attached.

This exactly! Spot on; couldn't have said it better myself. Another SB win would have it's own set relief and joy. Nothing that can be done about the past. Much like XL...

AgentDib

Reaction score
I've been over that play for a couple of years now and it happened right in front of my section. Sure it sucked for a year or so but I don't think it defines the last few years nearly as much as the inability for the players to move past it.

I don't buy into our coaching being to blame as much as most around here do, but with the benefit of hindsight I wish we would have turned the page a year sooner and moved on from both coaches and players after the 2016 season and the divisional loss to Atlanta. It's a breath of fresh air not having all the negativity hanging around the franchise.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
It gets un-erased for me every time someone makes a post like this.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
SB 48 erased 40 for me and I've never had a problem with 49 like most of y'all
I always felt the defense letting the pats come back were the real culprits
Winning the SB again would make me more than whole

bigskydoc

Reaction score
That scar will always be there. The play stands as the epitome of the 1st Carrol era dysfunction.

We are now deep into the first season of the 2nd Carrol era. I hope we go on to win more, but the first Carrol era will always be defined by that play for me. We had so much potential to do historically great things, and we threw it all away thanks to Cabevel

sdog1981

Reaction score
Even if the team wins two more Super Bowls you will always know they could have won one more.

Jville

Reaction score
I think the answer is self evident.

In this era of victim hysteria, there will be those who will never get over perceived grievances or give up the pursuit of collecting and inventing more.

Fade

Reaction score
bigskydoc":39spzslt said:
That scar will always be there. The play stands as the epitome of the 1st Carrol era dysfunction.

We are now deep into the first season of the 2nd Carrol era. I hope we go on to win more, but the first Carrol era will always be defined by that play for me. We had so much potential to do historically great things, and we threw it all away thanks to Cabevel

This is the truth. Some choose to put their head in the sand, and pretend this isn't reality though.

Or they really aren't passionate about the Seahawks to begin with, and just kind of hopped on the bandwagon. (I am jealous of this people honestly.)