Thank you Hawks and Pete for turning it around this season.

mrt144

Reaction score
I gotta say, I was pretty dismal earlier in the season. It felt like a lot of the same stuff that plagued us last season had set up a home. And then slowly but surely the team got a little bit sharper, a bit more cutthroat on offense. The running game rose from the ashes and started laying down chunks, RW and the receivers started pulling out the tentative stops and just started doing the damn thing, even on 4th and 3!

I will admit that I didn't think keeping pace with good teams meant all that much earlier - like it was heartening that we could hang with anyone but kinda crushing to lose coin flips in game terms back to back to back. But what I should have taken from that is not disappointment that we were just below a boil, but excitement that the water was on at all. Slowly but surely the Hawks have emerged as a dangerous team that is playing with a new found confidence.

So I am super stoked for tonight! We got some help around the league yesterday and we can really get rooted into the playoff picture with a win tonight. Credit to team and Pete for finding their groove and putting that fire back in my belly.

Hope I can hear everyone going to the game from my apartment tonight - GO HAWKS!

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I was ready to settle for a 7-9 season after the last pre-season game and we looked so bad. Then was feeling like we would only make it to 5-11 after the first two regular-season losses. Sooooo happy to see the team realize who they needed to be and make a run for the post-season.

sutz

Reaction score
What did they "turn around?" Hey, sure we missed the playoffs for only the 2d time in Pete's tenure, but it's not like we went 4-12 and on some kind of a downward spiral.

Our chances of another 10 win season are in pretty good shape. Playoffs are a distinct possibility, almost a probability.

This year isn't some kind of a miraculous turnaround. This is business as usual for Pete.

:twisted:

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
sutz":m527idoz said:
What did they "turn around?" Hey, sure we missed the playoffs for only the 2d time in Pete's tenure, but it's not like we went 4-12 and on some kind of a downward spiral.

Our chances of another 10 win season are in pretty good shape. Playoffs are a distinct possibility, almost a probability.

This year isn't some kind of a miraculous turnaround. This is business as usual for Pete.

Completely soul sapping unentertaining football?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's a pleasant surprise, but at the same time, should we really be surprised that this team is in the mix in December? This actually feels like a TEAM, and they are better than last year imo. They can pound the rock on any team in football. And IF a team decides to load the box, Russ and the passing game can roll up 30 plus on the board. The D needs to stop giving up so many huge plays. But....they are still pretty good at times in the Red Zone.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":31tcbq68 said:
It's a pleasant surprise, but at the same time, should we really be surprised that this team is in the mix in December? This actually feels like a TEAM, and they are better than last year imo. They can pound the rock on any team in football. And IF a team decides to load the box, Russ and the passing game can roll up 30 plus on the board. The D needs to stop giving up so many huge plays. But....they are still pretty good at times in the Red Zone.

For myself, kinda, yes, I am surprised. The dominoes have fallen in a way that give us a primo shot at the playoffs even with a 9-7 record. Yes, we finished with that last season but qualitatively this just seems, like you said, more of a 'team' than 2017s and it doesn't feel like pulling teeth every single offensive drive.

I take your point though - we should expect consistency in the goal of reaching the playoffs at this point. And we're getting rewarded on that expectation so far this season as the team gels a bit more each week.

Seymour

Reaction score
mrt144":crwo1iwj said:
sutz":crwo1iwj said:

That is a matter of perspective IMO. Many areas of our team have progressed while some have regressed. Oline, RB's, Dline are on the rise, while D secondary is on the decline.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point, some real ups and downs team wise. I suspect they not only make the playoffs now, but are going be very good next year. A homer opinion? Of course, but after what I've seen this year, I see no reason to expect anything less than improvement next season. In the meantime, let's get in the dance this year and see what kind of damage we can do. I can guarantee you this, no team wants to play the Hawks right now.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
sutz":2voepter said:

Good perspective.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I think this is the most fired up about Seahawk football I've been in years, probably since 2012. Pete has it rolling and doing his best coaching job for sure. The sign is pointing up on this team for sure.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
sutz":1cznrnab said:

They turned around our expectations and perspectives more than anything. The team was probably always going to be what they currently are, but because the media was so down on the team coming into the year, many of us bought in to the idea that this year was going to be rough.

AgentDib

Reaction score
We were a couple of easy missed field goals from 11 wins last season and you would think we went 3-13 from fan and media reactions. Expectations were at "win the Super Bowl" level and impossible to live up to even despite all the injuries.

This season we are 7-5 with our weakest defense since 2011 and everybody is pumped about it. Expectations were "be competitive and try to win half of our games." Suddenly people are talking about Pete as a coach of the year candidate and the main thing that has changed is their own expectations.

Kudos to the naysayers. I fully appreciate their efforts in returning expectations from the fan base to the realm of sanity.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1n293v15 said:
sutz":1n293v15 said:

They turned around our expectations and perspectives more than anything. The team was probably always going to be what they currently are, but because the media was so down on the team coming into the year, many of us bought in to the idea that this year was going to be rough.

It wasn't even the media really for me. Like, I take it with a grain of salt that everyone in the national picture doubts the Hawks over and over again. For me it was the auspicious feeling that a lot of the warts from our previous 2 seasons were still warts and that 'here we go again' was still lingering over our heads. But the development of looking out of sorts, to looking competent, to coming up short against good teams, getting over the hump on average teams, to resolutely demolishing bad teams dispelled that 'here we go again' to the ether. It was if the fog had been lifted to me.

I know that for the utterly faithful, they're probably chuckling at me for being a doubting Thomas over here but I just wanted to pipe up and say "I feel I've noticed a material experience change from what we dealt with before and I like it!". As a couple have stated here, we've risen in some areas and fallen in others but the holistic experience is just...well...better and I felt the need to share my enthusiasm before tonight's game. I'm super amped up for it - which might be a bad thing if I'm a contrarian indicator of sorts ;)

bmorepunk

Reaction score
mrt144":1amxmttn said:
sutz":1amxmttn said:

Last season was entertaining. Every season since Wilson has gotten here has been. The running game was crap last year, but it was still entertaining.

Examples:

Week 2 vs. SF (Typical Seahawks grindfest with Wilson pulling it out towards the end)
Week 3 vs. Tennessee (Typical Seahawks get down by three scores, then come back and fall one score short)
Week 4 vs. Indy (Typical Seahawks bad first half, followed by an absolute beat down in the second half)
Week 5 vs. LA (Typical Seahawks bad offensive game, with defense murdering Rams)
Week 7 vs. NYG (Typical Seahawks bad first half, dominated in second half)
Week 8 vs. Houston (If you don't remember this game, then we need to talk)
Week 9 vs. Washington (The last two minutes of this game was insane)
Week 11 vs. Atlanta (Weird game, it was close, could have tied, thanks Blair)
Week 12 vs. SF (Not particularly entertaining, but SF was never really in the game; if you like beating up other teams in a boring fashion then it was enjoyable)
Week 13 vs. Philly (Seriously just flat out beat the team that was 10-1 at the time and went on to win the Super Bowl, definitely entertaining)
Week 14 vs. Jax (Another typical Seahawks got down by multiple scores, furiously come back, almost get there)
Week 16 vs Dallas (Smacked the Cowboys around, in Dallas)
Week 17 vs Arizona (Close game, would have won if Walsh made his kick)

What wasn't entertaining was the Week 10 Arizona game in which both Chancellor and Sherman were hurt and done for this team. And that's also when things started to go off the rails for the rest of the season (they were 6-3 at that point). And getting completely destroyed by the Rams at home, ugh.

I really think only three games last year weren't entertaining. Some of the other ones sucked because they ended in losses, but this team was always in those and never gave up even when the lead got big on the other side.

Last season wasn't some kind of horrible travesty. They still went 9-7 with massive problems along the line, an injury depleted defense, missed critical kicks, and a run game that was abysmal.

sc85sis

Reaction score
The only real surprise for me was how many fans turned on Pete, called him a has been and claim he should be fired.

People are way too impatient these days.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1wysx0oi said:
mrt144":1wysx0oi said:
sutz":1wysx0oi said:

Last season was entertaining. Every season since Wilson has gotten here has been. The running game was crap last year, but it was still entertaining.

Examples:

Week 2 vs. SF (Typical Seahawks grindfest with Wilson pulling it out towards the end)
Week 3 vs. Tennessee (Typical Seahawks get down by three scores, then come back and fall one score short)
Week 4 vs. Indy (Typical Seahawks bad first half, followed by an absolute beat down in the second half)
Week 5 vs. LA (Typical Seahawks bad offensive game, with defense murdering Rams)
Week 7 vs. NYG (Typical Seahawks bad first half, dominated in second half)
Week 8 vs. Houston (If you don't remember this game, then we need to talk)
Week 9 vs. Washington (The last two minutes of this game was insane)
Week 11 vs. Atlanta (Weird game, it was close, could have tied, thanks Blair)
Week 12 vs. SF (Not particularly entertaining, but SF was never really in the game; if you like beating up other teams in a boring fashion then it was enjoyable)
Week 13 vs. Philly (Seriously just flat out beat the team that was 10-1 at the time and went on to win the Super Bowl, definitely entertaining)
Week 14 vs. Jax (Another typical Seahawks got down by multiple scores, furiously come back, almost get there)
Week 16 vs Dallas (Smacked the Cowboys around, in Dallas)
Week 17 vs Arizona (Close game, would have won if Walsh made his kick)

What wasn't entertaining was the Week 10 Arizona game in which both Chancellor and Sherman were hurt and done for this team. And that's also when things started to go off the rails for the rest of the season (they were 6-3 at that point). And getting completely destroyed by the Rams at home, ugh.

I really think only three games last year weren't entertaining. Some of the other ones sucked because they ended in losses, but this team was always in those and never gave up even when the lead got big on the other side.

Last season wasn't some kind of horrible travesty. They still went 9-7 with massive problems along the line, an injury depleted defense, missed critical kicks, and a run game that was abysmal.

Don't try to massage my feelings here! There were some definite highlights last season and I don't want to take them for granted but the prevailing sensation I had was one of drowning. I don't award entertainment points for nearly drowning on several occasions only to bob to the surface and repeat the performance multiple times throughout the year.

It wasn't a travesty, it just felt like drowning in molasses at times and there were specific warts like our running game that knee capped us. Now it feels like we're on the precipice of drowning other teams in molasses and I dig it!

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
sc85sis":o0d71bpc said:
The only real surprise for me was how many fans turned on Pete, called him a has been and claim he should be fired.

People are way too impatient these days.

I'll cop to being impatient. I am and always will be impatient because I can't know or reasonably guess when it would get better. I tend to lag performance and withhold optimism until I have some tangible things to grasp onto. I'm useless in telling people what I think WILL happen and the direction things will go.

And perhaps if we start slow in 2019 you won't see anything resembling this thread from me because I'll have learned a little bit more patience from you guys and the team.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
I absolutely thank Pete, and John. Although the home Rams game for me was as rock bottom as they come (yes I left the game early, and never looked back) I never once lost faith in the people who had gotten us to the promised land. Instead I lost faith in many players that I had once loved, but could see that they had grown into to big a problem to continue with the team. It was almost that you could see the well was poisoned. I don’t think it is any great coincidence, that we started to go on a good run after our last malcontent (Earl) left the building. Yes the coaching changes needed to happen, and they were a year, or two, too late, but that is part of what makes Pete... Pete. Thank you for making this year fun again!

StoneCold

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3owt489w said:
sutz":3owt489w said:

Good perspective.

This is a good perspective, but you can't deny, with all the turnover on defense and the coaches and a suspect offensive line and a missing in action run game of last season that low expectations for this year are out of line.

I'm also pleasantly surprised, but still cautious about where it ends up. Talk that were going to make the playoff's as if we've already done it makes me nervous. Not that anything we say affects a games outcome, but I hate eating unhatched chicken. Wait a minute, that would be eggs and I love eggs. What I'm trying to say is The early crow gets the bush. No that's not it. Damn it, now I've lost my train of thought.

Go Hawks!