Overly Conservative Gameplan But I Understood Why

Fade

Reaction score
- The Seahawks knew Cousins couldn't beat them so they wanted Wilson to play extra safe in this game. Which he did save for 1 play which I will get to later.

- The Vikings stayed in a 2 high shell for most of the game, they were not going to let Wilson beat them deep. The Seahawks obliged by running it down their throats.

- I was Surprised by the lack of Vannett & Dickson, and the WRs lack of use in the middle of the field. That area of the field was open a lot. Again this goes back to not wanting to risk a turnover probably. But if they ran a TE down the Seam every once in a while, and some crossers, they could have made some plays on the Vikes in the pass game.

- Baldwin was definitely missed in this game. I hope he can come back soon.

- It was good to here the noise return to the stadium. It hadn't been that loud in a couple of years.

- The young secondary played very well tonight, much better than I had expected. Flowers & Griffin both deserve a game ball for their performance tonight. Coleman is one of the best nicklebacks in football, and he always plays great btw.

- Bobby Wagner blocked a kick and it is legal if they don't call it. But he got away with one there.

- Poona Ford & the D-Line really played great I think, you have to do film review to really get a guage of how well they played, but since Poona has been inserted into the lineup the run defense has improved tremendously. I don't think that is a coincidence.

- Any hint of pressure and Cousins folds like a lawn chair. I would be pissed if I were a Vikings fan.

- Flip (Vikes OC) looked like he wanted to cry towards the end of the game when the cameras were on him. He is definitely getting fired real soon.

- Carson was an animal running physical and tough while still displaying his raw athletism when he got out on the edge. One of the most underrated players in football. Penny came in and provided some big plays with his amazing feet, and vision. But I would like to note he did run it up inside there a couple of times keeping good pad level and falling forward, that is a good sign and shows he is progressing.

- The O-Line played really well, and it feels good knowing you can hang your hat on the fact they are a group you can rely on game in and game out.

- Russ turned on the jets for that 45 yard run, I am glad he still has that in his back pocket when he needs it.

- Now the sequence that led to the INT. Russ hit Moore for the TD on a perfectly thrown deep ball, but Moore didn't drag his 2nd foot so it was incomplete. The INT becomes a non factor if that happens, I also think the offense loosens up a little more and the route of the Vikings is on.

They didn't manage the clock well there at the end of the half, they should of gotten the play in earlier previous so they then would've had about 20 secs more to play with. The play that was called was designed to fail before it was snapped. They had a bunch of Receivers jumbled up in one corner of the endzone. Russ should've continued to roll to his right and throw it out of the back of the endzone, the play was DOA. Russ tried to make a play, he slipped, and disaster happened.

- Good win, they are pretty much in full command of the 5 seed, and I see a team that is getting better every week.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Conservative game planning also involves safe screens, passes to TEs, slants, crosses.

Schotty seems unable or unwilling to call them. Russ drops back with 0 option or check downs most of the time. It's truly maddening. This was a game for the TEs and RBs to have 15 catches between them.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I love Moore, but the drop off when Baldwin is injured..and then the even DEEPER drop off when Jaron Brown is #3 is staggering

They both, for now as raw talents belong at #3 and #4. That said this was a really good defense, was going to be tough to pass on them anyway

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Smellyman":smpnpo3d said:
Conservative game planning also involves safe screens, passes to TEs, slants, crosses.

Schotty seems unable or unwilling to call them. Russ drops back with 0 option or check downs most of the time. It's truly maddening. This was a game for the TEs and RBs to have 15 catches between them.

That is very true, and I agree 100%.

Pete looked at this game from that stand point of run the hell out of the ball, take a couple of shots deep, and go home.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
What I really liked was the commitment to the run. Even against a stacked box. Pretty sure I counted 9 guys in the box a couple of times, and we still stuffed it down their throats. Sometimes only for a few, but came right back to it. That’s a backbreaking, mind warping kind of defeat than can send the losing team into a tailspin for quite a while. Wouldn’t surprise me if we broke the Vikings, and they lose two, or even three, more games to finish out the season.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
bigskydoc":62cizaf6 said:
What I really liked was the commitment to the run. Even against a stacked box. Pretty sure I counted 9 guys in the box a couple of times, and we still stuffed it down their throats. Sometimes only for a few, but came right back to it. That’s a backbreaking, mind warping kind of defeat than can send the losing team into a tailspin for quite a while. Wouldn’t surprise me if we broke the Vikings, and they lose two, or even three, more games to finish out the season.

It was a test for sure, the Vikings have one of the best fronts in football and the No. 8 DVOA overall defense. I came away impressed with the O-Line & the Backs. They both performed better than I had anticipated.

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":1k4aa7h8 said:
Smellyman":1k4aa7h8 said:

That is very true, and I agree 100%.

Pete looked at this game from that stand point of run the hell out of the ball, take a couple of shots deep, and go home.

I see it differently... I like the conservative plan... I like the play calling... control the TOP and pound them with the run... take your shots when you get the chance...Moore missed a couple in the end zone and Wilson wasn't very sharp tonight... ok, so what.. that's what I like about this team they just keep finding a way to win because different units step up when other units don't.. last week it was the O that stepped up, this week its the D that won the game... Schotty is doing just fine This is a championship run guys were going to make the playoffs and probably go to the SB...

I personally feel that Carroll should get coach of the year... he has done an absolutely fantastic job coaching this team with all the adversity that has happened and the player turn around and new coaching staff ? Oh yes he has!

LTH

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Shut their run and pass down, rub their QB early and often, run it, play for field position, take what they give up. Run as much as they will let you. Punch them in the mouth. Sounds to me like old fashion playoff style football.

Sure it’s conservative and not KC ball but it wins games.

Bring on the Digits so we can clinch the postseason.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
I forgot to add Fant played a ton of snaps, so they played with 6-Olineman most of the night.

Fant caught his first pass finally in the flat, but his feet couldn't keep up with his mind so he stumbled trying to turn on the jets and slip'n slided his way to a 1st down.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":3o0d3ymk said:
Schotty seems unable or unwilling to call them.
Or........ he calls them and Russ checks out of them.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Smellyman":aofhqk5r said:

Agree 100% with this post. Passes to the TE’s and RB’s were to be had if they wanted them.
Might have saved a couple of punts if they had taken what was given in those areas.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2fv71mnm said:
I love Moore, but the drop off when Baldwin is injured..and then the even DEEPER drop off when Jaron Brown is #3 is staggering

They both, for now as raw talents belong at #3 and #4. That said this was a really good defense, was going to be tough to pass on them anyway

I really miss Paul Richardson. Bad move letting him get away. All it takes is one injury to Lockett or Baldwin and we've taken a huge step down at WR.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Wilson had a bad game it happens even so he made the one play when he needed to get the win.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Tusc2000":3aek2eo6 said:
Scorpion05":3aek2eo6 said:

I really miss Paul Richardson. Bad move letting him get away. All it takes is one injury to Lockett or Baldwin and we've taken a huge step down at WR.

This is a funny post seeing as Paul Richardson has been on the IR since Week 10

chris98251

Reaction score
Steve2222":1x9sxjna said:
Tusc2000":1x9sxjna said:
Scorpion05":1x9sxjna said:

This is a funny post seeing as Paul Richardson has been on the IR since Week 10

Need to forgive them, they were Vikings fans till we went above .500 and bounced back.