Is George Fant the #1 TE? (snaps counts)

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1072547411636224001[/tweet]

George Fant ....... 39 snaps
Ed Dickson .......... 36 snaps
Nick Vannett ......... 29 snaps

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1072499657362849793[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1072535926868451329[/tweet]

ivotuk

Reaction score
That catch and run was fabulous! If he'd kept his feet, he might have rumbled on for 15 more yards! :mrgreen:

mistaowen

Reaction score
Pretty sure they showed a stat that said they're run 6 offensive linemen on 20% of the plays this year. Who needs a FB when George Fant can play Right Right Tackle and TE.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Fant could well be a "#1" TE...but the Turf Monster remains his #1 nemesis. We need an antidote!

Actually he's become an invaluable all purpose blocking back and I welcome his further integration into our scheme.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Breakdown on Fant’s 39 snaps: 29 run blocks, seven pass blocks, three routes.

Vannett: 20 run blocks, one pass block, eight routes.

Ed Dickson: 18 run blocks, nine pass blocks, nine routes.

knownone

Reaction score
Random question. If Fant changed his number to a receiving number and he came into the game to be a lineman... would have to report as a lineman?

sdog1981

Reaction score
knownone":1o5ltiic said:
Random question. If Fant changed his number to a receiving number and he came into the game to be a lineman... would have to report as a lineman?

No, he can't the NFL numbers mean something. Once he changes his number he can only play as a TE and report as an eligible receiver.

NFL rules dictate that there will be seven players on the line at all times. There is the TIGHTend who is a receiver tight to the blocking line. His number can be 40-49 or 80-89.

The next player on the line is the SPLITend we call them wide receivers so much we have forgotten that one of them is an End split wide. If you look at old pictures from the 19-teens split ends were in a three-point stance 10 yards away from the line. Split ends can have numbers 10-19 or 80-89.

Olinemen can only have the numbers 50-79 and they are not eligible receivers on a play unless they report in as one. Teams still need to have 7 players on the line even with a reported eligible receiver.

So Fant will keep his linemen number and play as this blocking player swiss army knife. Because he can report in as eligible then lineup as an Olinmen not go out for a pass and screw teams up. The Patriots did this to the Ravens in the playoffs in 2014.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Is he our #1 Te? No. But he IS our 6th OL.

JGreen79

Reaction score
sdog1981":3nmgiygj said:
knownone":3nmgiygj said:

No, he can't the NFL numbers mean something. Once he changes his number he can only play as a TE and report as an eligible receiver.

NFL rules dictate that there will be seven players on the line at all times. There is the TIGHTend who is a receiver tight to the blocking line. His number can be 40-49 or 80-89.

The next player on the line is the SPLITend we call them wide receivers so much we have forgotten that one of them is an End split wide. If you look at old pictures from the 19-teens split ends were in a three-point stance 10 yards away from the line. Split ends can have numbers 10-19 or 80-89.

Olinemen can only have the numbers 50-79 and they are not eligible receivers on a play unless they report in as one. Teams still need to have 7 players on the line even with a reported eligible receiver.

So Fant will keep his linemen number and play as this blocking player swiss army knife. Because he can report in as eligible then lineup as an Olinmen not go out for a pass and screw teams up. The Patriots did this to the Ravens in the playoffs in 2014.

Eligible receivers can report as ineligible unless they changed the rule after the patriota did that. Shane Vereen reported as inelgible, and lined up in the right slot which made the LT an eligible receiver.

toffee

Reaction score
knownone":5xidde8a said:
i am curious about this one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawknation2018

Reaction score
toffee":1vn8ek6u said:
knownone":1vn8ek6u said:
i am curious about this one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to a lazy search on Wikipedia, the answer is yes.

“Similarly, a player whose number is typically "eligible" must report himself ineligible to the referee, otherwise his team would be penalized for illegal formation. An example is when New England Patriots running back Shane Vereen did this in the 2014–15 NFL playoffs versus the Baltimore Ravens.[2]”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tackle-eligible_play

sutz

Reaction score
Well, he has caught 100% of passes thrown to him. :twisted:

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Carroll said during his radio interview that they investigated changing Fant's jersey to an eligible receiver number, but he said the league wouldn't authorize the number change. Interesting.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I just looked at the slow-mo replay of this catch/run/trip... I couldn't tell exactly where he was marked as 'down' from the replay because they cut it off too soon. It sure looked like he was sliding forward on the turf due to his tremendous inertia, and was really close to the 1st down line before he was touched by The Enemy. Anybody?

TreeRon

Reaction score
GeekHawk":k0euvxdt said:
I just looked at the slow-mo replay of this catch/run/trip... I couldn't tell exactly where he was marked as 'down' from the replay because they cut it off too soon. It sure looked like he was sliding forward on the turf due to his tremendous inertia, and was really close to the 1st down line before he was touched by The Enemy. Anybody?

I thought the same.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think he has to wait till next year to change a jersey unless he is traded, NFL rules and all and marketing merchandise as well a precedent set where player could change their numbers at will during the season.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Would love to a compilation of all snaps by Fant. Anyone knows where I can find one?
Thanks in advance.
hawknation2018":1fma6pfh said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1072881317229015040[/tweet]

A-Dog

Reaction score
George Fant's role at TE is one of the best and most interesting stories of the season.

I think people forget that Fant has elite (top 1%) athleticism for an offensive tackle - he profiled very similarly to Trent Williams in his pre-draft testing. Cable was a terrible coach for us but there's a reason they invested in the Fant experiment.

Sure, you can say the Seahawks' run-first offense is boring, but putting a 6th offensive lineman that plays in more than just the short yardage/goal line package is pretty innovative in a league that is as pass-heavy as it's ever been, when defensive coordinators play with 5 defensive backs in their base defense and are loading up on athletic, lightweight pass rushers to go after those mobile QBs who are putting up historic numbers. The fact that there are very few offensive lineman as athletic as Fant (which he displayed by making a tough catch look easy) means it's not something that other teams can easily replicate.

Defense aren't built to stop this kind brute force offense any more. I love it. Only thing I wonder about is what Fant's contract negotiation will look like.

chris98251

Reaction score
A-Dog":2hf01ipp said:
George Fant's role at TE is one of the best and most interesting stories of the season.

I think people forget that Fant has elite (top 1%) athleticism for an offensive tackle - he profiled very similarly to Trent Williams in his pre-draft testing. Cable was a terrible coach for us but there's a reason they invested in the Fant experiment.

Sure, you can say the Seahawks' run-first offense is boring, but putting a 6th offensive lineman that plays in more than just the short yardage/goal line package is pretty innovative in a league that is as pass-heavy as it's ever been, when defensive coordinators play with 5 defensive backs in their base defense and are loading up on athletic, lightweight pass rushers to go after those mobile QBs who are putting up historic numbers. The fact that there are very few offensive lineman as athletic as Fant (which he displayed by making a tough catch look easy) means it's not something that other teams can easily replicate.

Defense aren't built to stop this kind brute force offense any more. I love it. Only thing I wonder about is what Fant's contract negotiation will look like.

10 million a year best blocking TE in the game and will wear 88 :)