Phantom Personal Foul on Ifedi

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
2nd Quarter, we have a drive going. At the Viks 35 yards line, then they call Unnecessary Roughness on #65 Defense. Crowd cheers. No wait, correction, #65 offense. Everyone is confused.

They finally show a replay on TV, Simmons is standing there jawing with 2 Viking d-lineman, then they go after him, pushing him in the face etc. Ifedi tries to step in between all of it. No Seahawks retaliate.

What in the world happened, anyone at the stadium see what happen? Did the refs blow the call? What did they see to throw a flag on us? In the official stats they have Simmons listed, but as far as I saw he didn't punch or push back at all.

3rd & 5 at MIN 35
(8:30 - 2nd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete deep right to T.Lockett. PENALTY on SEA-J.Simmons, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at MIN 35.

StoneCold

Reaction score
That's exactly what I saw. Very confusing and likely just another bad call. Love the Hawks, but am hating refs, and penalties, they are killing the game.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
The Referees totally got that cal wrong. The flag should of been against the Vikings. On another topic, how about props to Simmons playing for Fluker? The online did not miss a beat!

seedhawk

Reaction score
I think what most missed was, when Efedi went over to play peacemaker, he spread his arms out and inadvertedly bumped an official. Yellow flies.

OP
OP
twisted_steel2

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
He played well against the Rams(I think) when he filled in for Fluker before. Pretty good for an undrafted rookie!!

OP
OP
twisted_steel2

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
seedhawk":3vznqkqz said:
I think what most missed was, when Efedi went over to play peacemaker, he spread his arms out and inadvertedly bumped an official. Yellow flies.

You think that was it?

endzorn

Reaction score
I don’t get too worked up over officiating because over the course of a season the good and bad calls generally even out. This morning all I’ve heard about last night’s game is the Wagner leverage non-call and how it may have cost the Vikings the game. The situation was the Vikings were attempting a 47 yard field goal and a penalty on Wagner would give Minnesota a first down and a new scoring opportunity.

I had to point out to a Vikings fan who is a coworker that Seattle was dealt a very similar blow with 8:09 left in the second quarter. Seattle was in field goal range, a likely 52 yarder, when after a third down incompletion Ifedi was called for a personal foul and Seattle lost 15 yards and had to punt. On the replay, which I watched on game pass multiple times, Sheldon Richardson shoves Simmons and immediately after that Tom Johnson shoves him also. Simmons tried to grab Johnson and Ifedi eventually just becomes a peacemaker and had no part in it. The refs call Ifedi for the foul which costs Seattle field goal range. If properly enforced on Minnesota Seattle has a first down on the 20 yd line.

My point is this...these things happen ALL THE TIME to each team. Whether or not you overcome is what wins games.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Penalty calls come at different times and have different impacts. Some calls can have more influence than other on the outcome of a game. The theory is that over the LONG term this evens out. But in the short terms some teams get jobbed. What does it matter after the fact except to give people something to use to rationalize the loss. The outcome doesn't change. Bottom line is random factors are at work and it pays to be lucky.

AKNFidel

Reaction score
Everyone thinks Minnesota would have gone on to score a TD if the officials didn’t pick up the flag.... Where is your evidence, Cousins and the Offense had trouble getting over the 50 yard line most of the night. The only decent drive they has was in garbage time. For all we know if Minnesota was given a 1st down at that point, the next play would have been a pick 6 by Flowers. To cry about officiating to Seattle fans, is asking us to totally disregard XL. Sorry Minnesota fans felt they got robbed but thems the brakes. On to the next game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TreeRon

Reaction score
Simple fact, Seattle dominated the Vikings. If the Vikings had somehow won, everyone would be talking about the collapse of Seattle.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
seedhawk":1gnsjkx1 said:

The flag was thrown long before Ifedi even showed up so that's not what the penalty was for..

They got the wrong team &/or number.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
The announcers like to say the refs often miss the first shove, but throw the flag on the response. In this case everything happened so quickly, I can't see how they could have possibly blew it and flagged Ifidi, but they did.

There were so many bad calls last night -- on both teams -- that i have to wonder if some of those were make-up flags. We got lucky on the PI call, for Lockett, the ball was clearly un-catchable, it was well out of bounds. But that gave us a free FG, which made up for the Ifidi personal foul, which took AWAY a FG.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I just think this was a major case of human error. They got the number wrong but the team right, but then they got confused when they realized that 65 was on offense so instead of trying to find a new (correct) number, they just left the penalty on him.

I know it'll never happen, but I think in cases like this they should allow the official a moment to look at the replay and see where they screwed up. If they did this, they could get the correct call. Again I'll reiterate, that isn't going to happen, but it would help keep these types of simple errors from happening.

Vesuve

Reaction score
StoneCold":33xkfeo5 said:
That's exactly what I saw. Very confusing and likely just another bad call. Love the Hawks, but am hating refs, and penalties, they are killing the game.

Yup.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The foul, if there was actually one on the play, was actually against Minnesota but the Hawks player that responded by pushing back was actually Simmons and not Ifedi. Ifedi was entirely innocent on that play, he had every right to be ticked off.

ivotuk

Reaction score
They also missed the incomplete pass at 1:57 left in the game. Receiver's left foot was out of bounds, but they called it a reception and went on to make a touchdown.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":1bjw2wgk said:
seedhawk":1bjw2wgk said:

The flag was thrown long before Ifedi even showed up so that's not what the penalty was for..

They got the wrong team &/or number.

Correct - Condotta tweeted that it was revised to Simmons 66 afterwards

SeaChat

Reaction score
I saw a few "mystery penalties" called against the Seahawks in last nights game. The one cited regarding Ifedi was outrageous, Germaine was standing there shooting the breeze with a couple of other players,nothing doing at all in the way of a foul. I looked over and saw #66 Jordan Simmons, doing the same a few feet away, nothing that would qualify for a penalty either.

I think the refs had it right to start with when they called the Vikings defense for losing their cool. When they got the number wrong, instead of reviewing and correcting the defensive players number, they decided what the hay, lest just stick to the number "#65" and let the Seahawks suffer the damages of a wrong call. That was one of those possible game changing calls that I speak of when I cry about the officials trying to sway the outcome of games and which teams progress along and which ones get kicked to the curbs.

There was another penalty called on Bwags that I'm still scratching my head over. The commentator said it best, when he asked what kind of penalty was that? Its not even a real penalty, they actually made up a penalty on the spot to sway the outcome of the game, It was something, like Bobby wrapped his arms around the guys helmet as he was tackling him, and that pretty well summed up how the ref tried to define the penalty. It was almost laughable, if it wasn't something that was so obviously aimed at trying to sway the momentum of the game, and potentially the outcome.

The fact that they are having to resort to making up penalties and calling penalties that didn't occur, is a real compliment to the Seattle Seahawks and the high level of professionalism that we are playing at this season. I'll close with the same thing I've been saying all season.

The Seattle Seahawks are a Super Bowl Winning Caliber Team at this moment, and if all things were fair and equal there isn't a team in the NFL that can defeat us if we go out there, remain focused and disciplined, and maybe most importantly, that we don't take the Officials bait, by thinking that they will not throw flags on us for doing the exact same thing that they are letting our opponents get away with play after play. We have seen it happen time again again, where our opponents can hold our defense, drag and tackle them to the ground and not a flag thrown, but the instant we replicate in kind and it starts raining flags.

We need to take the field with every game we play with the mindset of putting up more points than our assigned opponents can overcome, and then double that so that even for a dirty officiating crew, intent on taking us out and advancing our opponents, can't do enough to deny us what is rightfully ours and that is a shot at the 2019 Super Bowl Championship, and when we arrive on the field on that day, we need to play it the same damn way. If they are going to rob us, make them expose themselves for what they are doing, much like when we faced the Steelers and even though they succeeded in denying us, they did iso at a price, because all these years later, that game is forever cited as the most Officialy Manipulated Game Outcome in NFL History.

NEVER DOUBT, NEVER FEAR, ALWAYS BELIEVE, NEVER SURRENDER, WHEREVER THERE IS A WILL THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY!

GO SEAHAWKS !

chris98251

Reaction score
This goes to show you get reputation flags. Ifedi had a lot of penalties up to this year, the officials know it and made an assumption.

This is also how you know there is steering going on.

Latest posts