11-5 Not A Stretch

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Who could have ever thought that in September?

While I am not one to seek out cart in front of horses per se but it's hard not to think about the real possibility of winning out. The 49ers could seek revenge and we could legitimately under perform after all these emotional big games we've been winning. The Chiefs are - on paper - our toughest final task. Their offense will give everything our defense can handle at home. Anything short of the performance they had last night and it's an easy L. The Cardinals? Who cares what their record is? Throw it out when it comes to them inexplicably owning us in our own house in recent years, it's creepy.

Yet, something tells me this team has turned a corner. Emotional, mental, spiritual, what-have-you...A corner has been turned. We can win ugly games. We can win convincingly. Hell, we can win when our QB throws for 72 yards all game long with a 30-ish QB rating. Pound the rock, pound the rock, play stingy D...Wear the other team out.

That's winning football.

11-5? Not so laughable anymore.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Also, Norton’s new defensive scheme is a trap for a young overzealous QB.

Polaris

Reaction score
I'd love us to go 11-5, but I still expect a loss vs the Chiefs in about two weeks.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I'm not sure I've mentioned it but, I predicted 11-5 before the season started so.......

sutz

Reaction score
I didn't join much in the early season arguments about how good we'd be, and how many games we would win.

One thing I knew, neither Pete nor Wilson like to lose. A fire burns in their bellies, and they are good at getting those around them to share in the confidence and desire that it takes to win games. And that includes not over scrutinizing 'bad' games, nit picking things ad nauseum until it all falls apart. Nope, they look ahead. Sure, they analyze the last game, but they are quick to spot things that were just boneheaded screw-ups and one-offs that not much can be done about. Then they get busy figuring out the best way to coach up the guys who made mistakes and to attack the next team on the schedule.

Did I have my doubts? Sure, and those first two games didn't look too good, for sure. But the fact is, Pete has not had a non-winning season since his second year here, by which time he pretty much had the team he wanted in place. After that, we've been averaging 10 wins/season, especially with Russ at the helm. With 72 wins in 7 seasons, Russ is averaging more than 10 wins a year.

I pretty much always figured they would find a way to win 9 games, and now I'm not surprised that they could easily get to 10-11 wins.

It's what they do.

:229031_shrug:

knownone

Reaction score
I am not worried at all about the Chiefs. They can definitely beat us but we know the team will show up. I'm worried about the 49ers and Cardinals, even in our best years we lay an egg in the division once or twice.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Division games are tough. Hopefully they'll smack those two crapshows from SF and Arizona around.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
We play the Chiefs at home at night, and while the Chiefs are not all that far east, it's still tough for a team to travel west and play at night. This is akin to us going east for a 10 am game.

Not a massive advantage, but still it's an advantage.

Mahomes has never had to deal with the noise we make. Another small advantage.

Biggest advantage will be if KC has nothing to play for. They might sew up HFA throughout by our game, provided they beat the Chargers at home and the Patriots lose to the Steelers on the road. Both are very possible.

Polaris

Reaction score
There is a good chance we might not have anything to play for either. If we win and the Vikings lose (both very realistic possibilities), then Seattle is locked into the #5 seed.

doso

Reaction score
As stated before, were running the table. Period. 8)

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
sutz":m709cn9l said:
I didn't join much in the early season arguments about how good we'd be, and how many games we would win.

One thing I knew, neither Pete nor Wilson like to lose. A fire burns in their bellies, and they are good at getting those around them to share in the confidence and desire that it takes to win games. And that includes not over scrutinizing 'bad' games, nit picking things ad nauseum until it all falls apart. Nope, they look ahead. Sure, they analyze the last game, but they are quick to spot things that were just boneheaded screw-ups and one-offs that not much can be done about. Then they get busy figuring out the best way to coach up the guys who made mistakes and to attack the next team on the schedule.

Did I have my doubts? Sure, and those first two games didn't look too good, for sure. But the fact is, Pete has not had a non-winning season since his second year here, by which time he pretty much had the team he wanted in place. After that, we've been averaging 10 wins/season, especially with Russ at the helm. With 72 wins in 7 seasons, Russ is averaging more than 10 wins a year.

I pretty much always figured they would find a way to win 9 games, and now I'm not surprised that they could easily get to 10-11 wins.

It's what they do.

:229031_shrug:

Astute analysis as usual old friend.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
It is a very real possibility... We play the exact style of offense that can keep mahomes off the field..

chris98251

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":1mbavwe7 said:
I'm not sure I've mentioned it but, I predicted 11-5 before the season started so.......

I predicted that we would win a Super Bowl in 1977 also, but the damn board didn't exist then.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":3ocq99eh said:

Picks or it didn't happen.

Don't see 11-5 in your post history.

Can't see how anyone saw this as an 11-5 schedule. We got a bit lucky with Jimmy G going down early for the year which eased our home stretch. But it was a bear of a schedule with a new DC, OL coach and OC and a loss of a ton of pro bowl talent. We stunk through the whole preseason and first 3 games of the regular season.

You either were a total pollyanna or high.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
We’re going to give the Chiefs a run for their money. Our D is coming together with our pass rush improving and our running game is going to keep Mahomes and co off the field. Control the clock, no turnovers and we rush into the playoffs full steam.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
These were my predictions copied and pasted from august 30th. I had us at 10-6. I expected the vikings to be better and the broncos to be worse. In reality broncos werent very good, so right there, but we looked bad that first game. Other than that, looks pretty close to our actual season. Only 2 wrong pics out of 13. I do think we can beat the chiefs, so total instead of the 10-6 I predicted, I agree, 11-5 is doable.

Here are the picks from aug 30th:

Week 1 @ Denver- W----L :?
Week 2 @ Chicago- L----L
Week 3 vs Dallas- W----W
Week 4 @ Arizona- W----W
Week 5 vs LA Rams - L----L
Week 6 vs Oakland- W----W
Week 7- bye
Week 8 @ Detroit- W----W
Week 9 vs LA Chargers- L----L
Week 10 @ LA Rams- L----L
Week 11 vs Green Bay - W----W
Week 12 @ Carolina - W----W
Week 13 vs San Fran - W----W
Week 14 vs Minnesota - L----W :?
Week 15 @ San Fran - W
Week 16 vs Kansas City - L
Week 17 vs Arizona - W

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1ciswlgy said:
Hockey Guy":1ciswlgy said:

Picks or it didn't happen.

Don't see 11-5 in your post history.

Can't see how anyone saw this as an 11-5 schedule. We got a bit lucky with Jimmy G going down early for the year which eased our home stretch. But it was a bear of a schedule with a new DC, OL coach and OC and a loss of a ton of pro bowl talent. We stunk through the whole preseason and first 3 games of the regular season.

You either were a total pollyanna or high.

They weren't pro-Bowl talent last year. People over inflate the play of those who left-- who had clearly dropped off in their play last year before being injured. Bennett was overrated- Clark had more sacks over the last 2 years and is showing this year that he's an upgrade over Bennett (the very fact that we aren't getting 1-2 offsides penalties every game is a +) Sherman, Chancellor, and Avril wasn't pro-bowlers because they were on the shelf.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Really hope they can finish 11-5. Gotta continue that winning streak. Finishing strong is important. Also, securing a 5th seed isn't far fetch.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Def. a possibility, that's just crazy considering the outlook before the season. I would have zero problem with a 10-6 finish and a 5 seed though.