How much $$ extension would be right for Frank Clark?

poly1274

Reaction score
If he doesn't take a paycut,

5 year 80 million 50million guaranteed?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
poly1274":w7rpkvgm said:

I'm hoping 15 million APY. Guarantees are not my business. He's second tier compared to the Donalds and Macks of the world. He's in the Demarcus Lawrence range and he's making 17 million on a franchise tag. So if you guaranteed Glark 15 million per year on a 5 year deal he may take it.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Mad Dog":59c2nsup said:
poly1274":59c2nsup said:

I'm hoping 15 million APY. Guarantees are not my business. He's second tier compared to the Donalds and Macks of the world. He's in the Demarcus Lawrence range and he's making 17 million on a franchise tag. So if you guaranteed Glark 15 million per year on a 5 year deal he may take it.

I wouldn't pay Glark a penny. Clark on the other hand is a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
4 years, 60 mil, 35 guaranteed. Entice him with the front loaded deal and we have him on the cheap for the last 2 years...until he holds out and we trade him for a 3rd.

Fade

Reaction score
19M+ APY. Agents use the Franchise Tag Avg over the 2 years of being Franchised as the starting point.

The Seahawks missed their shot at $15M APY this summer when he should have been extended.

4 yrs $80M. If he hits the open market he will get even more.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Frank and his agent looking for the big bucks.

It may have been Clark and his agent waiting out the market all along not the Seahawks looking for more info. According to Erik Burkhardt, Clark's agent, they're the ones waiting for the right deal and they're even willing to wait out the franchise tag to do it if need be, according to ESPN's Brady Henderson who spoke with Burkhardt.

"I have had several very productive and positive talks with the Seahawks," Burkhardt told Henderson. "Frank loves it there and believes they'll continue to produce as one of the NFL's dominant defenses even with the departure of many great players. ... Seattle has been very good to him. They've believed in him from the beginning and they've continued to help develop him.

"But the financial goal for players in every major sport now is to get to free agency. It often baffles me how some of these agents do early deals just for the sake of doing a deal. I know that it's football and injury risks are very real, but there's insurance policies to protect players' downsides and risks, along with other measures that we put in place to protect our guys. Just to do an early deal for the sake of doing an early deal doesn't excite us, especially for a guy like Frank who's already a dominant pass-rusher in this league and is just scratching the surface of what he will be."

https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seaha ... 123705712/

BigMeach

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":3gmap2xc said:
Frank and his agent looking for the big bucks.

It may have been Clark and his agent waiting out the market all along not the Seahawks looking for more info. According to Erik Burkhardt, Clark's agent, they're the ones waiting for the right deal and they're even willing to wait out the franchise tag to do it if need be, according to ESPN's Brady Henderson who spoke with Burkhardt.

"I have had several very productive and positive talks with the Seahawks," Burkhardt told Henderson. "Frank loves it there and believes they'll continue to produce as one of the NFL's dominant defenses even with the departure of many great players. ... Seattle has been very good to him. They've believed in him from the beginning and they've continued to help develop him.

"But the financial goal for players in every major sport now is to get to free agency. It often baffles me how some of these agents do early deals just for the sake of doing a deal. I know that it's football and injury risks are very real, but there's insurance policies to protect players' downsides and risks, along with other measures that we put in place to protect our guys. Just to do an early deal for the sake of doing an early deal doesn't excite us, especially for a guy like Frank who's already a dominant pass-rusher in this league and is just scratching the surface of what he will be."

https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seaha ... 123705712/

I get it, players want more money.. But I also see it from the stand point of being on a good team. It's a lot easier to get sponsorship deals, commercial deals, etc. when you are on a good team. Especially if you're one of the standout and outspoken players.

If I were an athlete of that level. I'd rather take 17 million to be on a great team, than 19 million on a bad one. But that's me, I hate losing.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Spotrac says Clark’s market value is around $12 million APY. They estimate his next contract should be 4 years, $48 million. That seems low, but take it for what it’s worth. I think he’s worth more like $15 million APY. $20 million per year is too high for his relatively inconsistent production, IMO.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-sea ... ket-value/

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He deserves the big bucks, that's what you do with an impact player like this. People will ultimately complain at no end, but he has earned a big paycheck. Not just with his play, but his leadership.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
hawknation2018":13cub5tj said:
Spotrac says Clark’s market value is around $12 million APY. They estimate his next contract should be 4 years, $48 million. That seems low, but take it for what it’s worth. I think he’s worth more like $15 million APY. $20 million per year is too high for his relatively inconsistent production, IMO.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-sea ... ket-value/

Based on that site and the players they're comparing him to from a production standpoint, Clark is going to want a Danielle Hunter type contract which would put him right at about $15 million APY.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The Spotrac comparison includes one player in the first year of his contract, 2 in their second, and 1 in his fourth. Including Jerry Hughes, who signed his deal in 2014, is kind of a joke.

The market for ends is about to get a lot more expensive when Mack's monster deal is figured in (I know, I know he's listed as a linebacker in a 3-4 now), and we consider who is coming up on free agency in the next couple of years.

Frank Clark - 2019 FA - 26 YO (28 if he is franchised twice)
Ezekiel Ansah - 2019 FA - 30 YO
DeMarcus Lawrence - 2019 FA - 27 YO
Brandon Graham - 2019 FA - 31 YO
Robert Quinn - 2020 FA - 30 YO
Mike Daniels - 2020 FA - 31 YO
Cameron Jordan - 2021 FA, but probably renegotiates early to a significantly higher APY as he is way underpaid now.

The race is on to see who can last the longest and secure the most money. With a rising cap, and several big names ready to ratchet up the market, the smart thing is to wait it out, take the franchise tag, and take out an insurance policy against injury. If he can hit free agency in 2021 he will be able to bring in over $20 APY.

OP
OP
P

poly1274

Reaction score
If Clark is looking for 16-18mill + A year,

Why not go for guys like Sheldon Richardson. ? I know he's not an edge rusher, but. He was making 8 -11mill this season.

rcaido

Reaction score
Seahawks will not resign frank Clark if it is over 16mill.

Fade

Reaction score
rcaido":22djku6w said:
Seahawks will not resign frank Clark if it is over 16mill.

So they will let him walk then? I would be pissed.

FYI

Franchise Tag in 2019 is $17.144M -via overthecap.com
Franchise Tag in 2020 is even more $$$$. $19M+ ballpark.

Open market he will get $20M+ APY as soon as he is available. 26 yr old Edge Rushers entering their prime with multiple double digit sack seasons already under their belt are pretty much the most in demand, high value kind of free agents.

He will be franchised at the very least.

The prices only go up every year for DEs & QBs. The sooner a deal gets done the better.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
If he is resigned, and this goes for any player, especially big buck contract types, they must include a morals clause or whatever you want to call it so we NEVER EVER have a Malik McDowell type of scenario ever again.

You wanna ride a quad or do other crazy stuff, tough, wait till you retire from the NFL or do it and have your contract voided instantly with a signing bonus repayment built right into the contract language.

The MM still burns me up, a 100% waste of money, cap space and draft pick.

I hope they figure out a way to keep him, he is an asset to our team and has been very professional since coming here.

GO HAWKS!!!