Hypothetical: We lock up #5 seed. Do we rest people?

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
If we win and Minny loses this week, I read we'll lock up the #5 seed and can't be moved out of it.

If that happens, do we rest people against KC and AZ?

I could see resting Baldwin to let him recover more, and I could see Carson taking a break so Penny can have more reps.

Of course the biggest call: Do we rest Wilson to keep him out of harm's way, particularly against AZ who have nothing to play for and wouldn't cry if they broke Wilson on a cheap shot?

Who else gets a rest?

CPHawk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":d9bnrzsv said:
If we win and Minny loses this week, I read we'll lock up the #5 seed and can't be moved out of it.

If that happens, do we rest people against KC and AZ?

I could see resting Baldwin to let him recover more, and I could see Carson taking a break so Penny can have more reps.

Of course the biggest call: Do we rest Wilson to keep him out of harm's way, particularly against AZ who have nothing to play for and wouldn't cry if they broke Wilson on a cheap shot?

Who else gets a rest?

I'd rather they not rest anyone. Way to many examples of teams getting hot and resting players, only to lose in the first round.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I think they will want to keep their positive momentum going.

Wilson won’t be rested for that reason. Injured players could be.

OP
OP
KiwiHawk

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
On the other hand, Kendricks lost for the year last game. Carson and Lockett both broke legs on seemingly normal plays. We all recall the Kam & Sherman game. Injuries happen.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Everybody knows you don’t rest your team going into the playoffs, or sit your starters for the entire pre-season, or else you don’t get off to a running start.

Wait, Rams, What?

Fade

Reaction score
Pete has talked about his philosophy on this situation many times. He plays his guys, he believes in playing well at the end of the year and riding that momentum into the playoffs.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I can see some of the younger guys getting more snaps on O and D. Guys like Shaquem, Ford, Moore, Penny, Hill, Greene, Martin, Pocic, etc. I know some of those guys are already getting good snap counts, but they could see bigger roles through the final three weeks.

I doubt we'll regularly be sitting the starters unless they're nursing some injuries or we're trying to keep them fresh, though.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I don't think that's in PC's DNA. He's smart about resting guys who are beat up. But He wants to win ALL games, he's not going to due the traditional "rest" of putting in a slew of backups. It never seems to work in any case.

toffee

Reaction score
I like to see Keenan Reynolds gets some playing time, to prepare him to take over from Baldwin next year.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Fade is right. Pete’s philosophy is to play hard until the end. Personally I’d start resting them this week, but Pete won’t.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
^^ I don't think Baldwin's going anywhere

I agree we'll probably play more young guys. Maybe rest players in the 2nd half. Who knows, but I personally don't see much wrong with having a 2nd bye week. So long as we don't run any silly plays that gets Russ hit or puts too much wear on Carson. I'd rather see more Mike Davis and McKissic.

Even mini byes like what we had right before the Carolina game I think helps.

Reaction score
I think we'll start to pass a lot more, Davis will take up the majority of the Carson role and we'll see more rotation for guys like Simmons, Pocic, Shaquem, Poona etc. but I think we'll still be playing hard.

There's a very true idea amongst boxers that when you go easy to avoid injury, that's when cuts and things like that happen in sparring prior to a fight because the boxers aren't used to being half hearted so it's not what they're used to. Just play hard like we've done all year and even though an injury would be unfortunate, it's a sport where an injury can happen at any time and because it is an inevitability, you don't want to lose momentum.

Seymour

Reaction score
Wilson won't sit. He has a consecutive games started streak still going. Pete said no rest anyway. People should know by now he doesn't think that way even. Ya...if your dinged up that is another matter obviously.

sutz

Reaction score
If anybody 'rests' it will be in the 2d half, and after we build up a lead.

Like has been said, it's not really in Pete's DNA. But he is smart.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think it's clear that Baldwin, Fluker and K.J. aren't playing until they are 100%.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1jkob93s said:
I think it's clear that Baldwin, Fluker and K.J. aren't playing until they are 100%.

According to Baldwin.....that won't be until next season. :|

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":10h5rccg said:
Hawkstorian":10h5rccg said:

According to Baldwin.....that won't be until next season. :|

I can see many injured guys getting rest until the playoffs, or maybe getting a little playing time the final week to get them "game ready". I think we need to take care of the injured guys in this situation. Healthy guys should play, at least until the second half of the final game.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Resting guys never works, unless they're nicked up and might aggravate an injury. Best to keep them in there and keep them sharp.