KJ Wright

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Do you think he gets re-signed or does the money go to Frank and an LB gets drafted in the first 3 rounds? Even before his injury issues his play was on the decline or maybe he's been hurt the entire time?

hangumhi

Reaction score
I sure hope they don't give kj a new contract. Big mistake if they do.

Elemas

Reaction score
From an individual stats perspective, no. He does work well with Bwags though.
For that sole reason, yes.yesterday

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The recent increase in cap will make this offseason more interesting than was the case before the increase was announced.

Third contracts are highly problematic, competitive money for a player with talent but who has a present significant knee injury issue that has cost him the best part of his contract year is a situation that will depend upon medical prognosis for the knee. KJ is a keeper if he can be counted upon and isn’t a perpetual injury report player. If this isn’t so then I expect he’ll get a contract offer from the Hawks that’s low compared to his FMV and he’ll be gone.

For him his recovery is everything. Healthy, KJ is a genuine keeper. Otherwise he’s a FA, but then he will either be a steal for his new team or a bummer as his unavailability outspeaks his contract. Talent wise it’s a no brainer, he would be kept. Unfortunately as knees go the likelihood of a clean bill of health is not high and this decreases the likelihood of KJ being re-signed.

The cap is a bitch, b/c in an uncapped woulld you’d want to keep KJ.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I would do it if it was like a 1 yr, 3 m deal with another 3m in to be earned incentives. Something that’s fair to both sides since his knee has been a reoccurring issue.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think his knee issue is degenerative. Loved his game but not his future, this is a classic case of don't do the one contract to long.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Let's not close the book on Wright's 2018 season yet. It seems very possible to me that they've been extra cautious with KJ lately because they knew Kendricks was coming back and they wanted KJ to be 100% for the playoffs.

It makes sense to me to play Calitro and even get Shaquem some experience in the next two games given that our playoff seeding is unlikely to change very much at this point. Then we can play KJ in the first half of against the Cardinals to get him back into the flow for the playoffs.

getnasty

Reaction score
Yeah I can see them doing a deal on the cheap with KJ with very little guaranteed money, anything else we'll let him walk.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
In this league, it can be hard to shake the injury bug. I love watching KJ play, but I see the FO erring on the side of youth and coaching instead of paying big money right now.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
It's clearly not a simple ligament strain to that knee. He's got some chronic condition likely degenerative and that will dog him the rest of his career. So no way do you pay this guy anything more than vet minimum as he's on his last legs unfortunately. Much more likely he's done after this year much like the sudden decline of Lofa Tatupu. Great until suddenly he wasn't.

Sad really since he was such a warrior for so long and a great character guy. Wagner/Wright is like Jones/Hutchinson.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3u6msse8 said:
Even before his injury issues his play was on the decline

I'm not sure where you get that particular point from.

King Dog

Reaction score
I would rather sign Kendricks on the cheap if he's available and if KJ wants big money.

TreeRon

Reaction score
No on KJ. Ditto with Baldwin unless it's for same $$ as now or less.No pay raises for habitually injured, aged football players.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Sign both Kendricks and Wright. Both should be reasonably cheap. Of necessity, both will need to take a short-term, team friendly deal. If necessary, one or the other can be cut before the season starts.

We have to come up with 18 million for Clark. Most of which will come from savings on Thomas and Chancellor. We could use some of Wright's money for this, but we have other areas we can pull from.

We are going to have a big increase in OL spending for 2019 with Fant, Simmons, Hunt, Sweezy, and Fluker coming into free agency.

So, I actually edited this bit about the OL out before Mad Dog submitted his post below. I am reinserting it since he responded before the edit went through. I had some second thoughts about just how much the o-line was going to cost us, and thought it didn't necessarily add to the convo.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3j0650ef said:
Sign both Kendricks and Wright. Both should be reasonably cheap. Of necessity, both will need to take a short-term, team friendly deal. If necessary, one or the other can be cut before the season starts.

We have to come up with 18 million for Clark. Most of which will come from savings on Thomas and Chancellor. We could use some of Wright's money for this, but we have other areas we can pull from.

We are going to have a big increase in OL spending for 2019 with Fant, Simmons, Hunt, Sweezy, and Fluker coming into free agency.

Fant, Simmons and Hunt will be super cheap RFA tender type of contracts. Sweezy will be average value. Fluker, we may get a bit cheaper as well because injuries hampered him this year.

Signing/franchising Frank and extending Reed will be priorities. LB we can go after in the draft. Doubt Wright will get signed in FA given his chronic knee. Kendricks has a good chance to be in jail through next year.

Overall I think we'll be in decent shape cap-wise this year so we can maybe save a bit for Wilson's next monster deal.

rain7

Reaction score
I'd give him decent contract with low guarantees. If he has a great 2019, no sense in having him be bitter about being on minimum. If he doesn't do well, cut him or restructure. No one has to lose in this case.

djb28

Reaction score
I would wait for the new Madden to come out and see what his projected score is. :p