Pete Carroll: prime COY candidate

Ruminator

Reaction score
Pretty sure the general consensus among most of us here is that it's a slam-dunk no-brainer Pete Carroll deserves COY. And Bucky Brooks agrees. His write-up on this topic was a refreshing read:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ll-for-coy

Excerpt:

...Seattle ranks among the top 10 in scoring defense (sixth), takeaways (tied for eighth), third-down percentage (fifth) and red-zone D (ninth). This is quite impressive, considering the unit lost Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and Sheldon Richardson during the offseason, while Earl Thomas went on injured reserve in early October. Those six players have 19 combined Pro Bowl appearances to their names.

Stop and think about that for a second. A unit led by a coach (Norton) considered a flop after getting fired by the Raiders one year ago has played solid football with a new cast of characters slotted in key roles. Although Bobby Wagner and Frank Clark have stepped in as leaders, the defense is loaded with a bunch of inexperienced playmakers and former reserves maximizing their opportunities on the field. To me, that's a sign of great coaching and player development, which points back to Carroll and the work that he's done with everyone in the building.

Osprey

Reaction score
Well deserved. Think Pete needs the Bears or Bolts to struggle the next couple weeks or it goes to Nagy (higher profile market) or Lynn (bigger market AND the need to make LA football relevant).

Rat

Reaction score
It usually goes to the coach of the team that most surpasses expectations. Carroll has a shot, but I think it's going to be really difficult to hold off Matt Nagy.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Coach of the Year has become somewhat of a lazy math award. 1. Subtract this year's win total from last year's win total. 2. Enter the name of the HC of the team with the highest win total differential on your ballot. Done.

Hopefully, the award becomes something more this year. I think Houston has the biggest win differential from last season. But does anyone think O'Brien did the best coaching job this year? Houston was fortunate to get an incredibly easy schedule; they are loaded with talent; they were only terrible last year due to injuries to their star players (namely, Watson & Watt); and Houston's own fans booed O'Brien for his questionable decision making last week.

Nagy and Lynn have both done a good job. But neither has overcome the obstacles and personnel losses that Carroll has faced this season. With a lesser head coach, the train would have gone off the rails.

Carroll is a top two coach in the NFL, yet he has never won Coach of the Year. This should be the year he does.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
If We make a deep playoff run and face the bears, it should go to the winner of that game

sc85sis

Reaction score
The AP already named Nagy their COTY. The Bears definitely have made a huge turnaround. I’d argue that Pete had more to deal with due to staff changes, personnel losses and fixing the locker room culture, but I’m also a homer.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
If we manage to push into the playoffs a game or two then yes, Pete def. deserves the honor.

And he should co-share it with Schotty because Schotty ball is both fun and effective.

GO HAWKS!

sc85sis

Reaction score
sc85sis":2i0fviaw said:
The AP already named Nagy their COTY. The Bears definitely have made a huge turnaround. I’d argue that Pete had more to deal with due to staff changes, personnel losses and fixing the locker room culture, but I’m also a homer.
Ah, seems the article I read was misleading. Nagy was announced as COTY in a poll of 10 AP writers. That’s not the actual award.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah think it will likely go to Nagy but Pete will be in consideration. Definitely one of his best coaching jobs since he’s been in Seattle.

doso

Reaction score
Pete will get coach of the year honors... When we beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl this year... Believe...

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2plr2s3v said:
If we manage to push into the playoffs a game or two then yes, Pete def. deserves the honor.

And he should co-share it with Schotty because Schotty ball is both fun and effective.

GO HAWKS!

Pretty sure the voting is done before the playoffs

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Ruminator":zf6oad22 said:
Pretty sure the general consensus among most of us here is that it's a slam-dunk no-brainer Pete Carroll deserves COY. And Bucky Brooks agrees. His write-up on this topic was a refreshing read:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ll-for-coy

Excerpt:

...Seattle ranks among the top 10 in scoring defense (sixth), takeaways (tied for eighth), third-down percentage (fifth) and red-zone D (ninth). This is quite impressive, considering the unit lost Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and Sheldon Richardson during the offseason, while Earl Thomas went on injured reserve in early October. Those six players have 19 combined Pro Bowl appearances to their names.

Stop and think about that for a second. A unit led by a coach (Norton) considered a flop after getting fired by the Raiders one year ago has played solid football with a new cast of characters slotted in key roles. Although Bobby Wagner and Frank Clark have stepped in as leaders, the defense is loaded with a bunch of inexperienced playmakers and former reserves maximizing their opportunities on the field. To me, that's a sign of great coaching and player development, which points back to Carroll and the work that he's done with everyone in the building.

What about the return of the run game. Last years team could barely fall down for positive yards. Two new lineman were brought in, and a new O-Line coach. A number one pick was used on a RB but it was a guy already on the roster who has churned out the yards that were never there last year. Pete retooled this team in areas of weakness from coaching to locker room cancers to highly contributing new players. The defense has definitely been reworked. Don’t count out the changes on offense.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Pete came in and created the best defense the league has ever seen. There was no COTY because we had Quinn as DC, and because we had standout defenders marketed as the Legion of Boom. This persisted even though when Brandon Browner went elsewhere he wasn't as good, and when Byron Maxwell went elsewhere he wasn't as good, even though back in Seattle every time we lost a good corner we sprouted another like the mythical hydra. When Quinn went elsewhere, the defense was still top - credited now to the players, specifically ET, Kam, Sherm, Bennett and Avril.

Well, now we're all out of excuses. There's no Sherm, Kam, ET, Bennett, and Avril, and all the coaches are gone. There's Bobby, and while he's acknowledged to be excellent (and finally getting consideration as best MLB in the league), he alone doesn't explain the defense.

It's ridiculous to put forth a narrative that includes Tre Flowers spontaneously blossoming at corner having played safety through college.

So having eliminated all of the probable causes of the defensive success in Seattle, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth, and that one constant that remains is Pete Carroll.

So now you not only have to evaluate Pete Carroll as the architect of the 2018 defense, but go back and realise that hee put ET, Kam, Sherm, Maxwell, Browner, Quinn, Braldey, Richards, Bennett, and Avril in position to be famous, and with all of them gone for the vast majority of this season, it becomes quite plain that they weren't the main reasons for our success.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1gi5608p said:
Yeah think it will likely go to Nagy but Pete will be in consideration. Definitely one of his best coaching jobs since he’s been in Seattle.

Yep, I think Nagy will get it. Will continue a remarkable run where the Seahawks brain trust gets no love.

Donn2390

Reaction score
One thing is for sure, not that there was ever any doubt, but it's obvious that Pete made the LOB, the LOB didn't make Pete..!

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
HawkGA":353u5nrm said:
Hawk-Lock":353u5nrm said:

Yep, I think Nagy will get it. Will continue a remarkable run where the Seahawks brain trust gets no love.

I can't say I'd begrudge Nagy getting Coach of the Year this year. The Bears really have come out of nowhere to be a pretty solid team all of the sudden. They've been bottom-feeders in that division for so long, it's hard for me to even remember they're the division leaders, and that says a lot, at least for national perception, if not outright coaching by Nagy.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Anthony Lynn: SD Chargers are an interesting team, all the turmoil with the move, they are winning their division, #1 Seed in AFC? Honestly, who expected that?
Matt Nagy (Bears: have played a weak schedule, I'm not impressed with their record. Can they beat Vikings and Packers? )
Pete Caroll

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Donn2390":3d46vijp said:
One thing is for sure, not that there was ever any doubt, but it's obvious that Pete made the LOB, the LOB didn't make Pete..!
True..

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Osprey":2lmjp6av said:
Well deserved. Think Pete needs the Bears or Bolts to struggle the next couple weeks or it goes to Nagy (higher profile market) or Lynn (bigger market AND the need to make LA football relevant).

Why do you need market size conspiracies to explain it?

Nagy took his team from 5-11 and last in their division to 9-4 so far and first in their division.

The Chargers and Seahawks we're both 9-7 last year and this year the Chargers are 11-3, tied for 1st in their division and tied for the second best record in the NFL, whereas the Hawks are 8-5 and gonna make the playoffs but can't win their division.

I think this is a very impressive coaching year for PC no doubt, and he slots in third no doubt, but so far Nagy is gonna win because Nagy deserves to win, not because Chicago is a big city.