Announcers Giving Props To Schotty For Saving The Offense

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Announcers took a moment to go public with what I've been sharing in here for a while - Schotty saved this season.

Pete admitted as much, telling the announcers during the pre-game interviews that after game two he knew he needed to step back and let Schotty do his thing. Once that happened the team's fortunes were much improved.

Big props for Pete for saying this publicly. The team/staff/organization knew it when it happened weeks ago. A lot of coaches wouldn't be willing to admit it but Pete pushed aside his ego and did just that.

Schotty has done a heck of a job turning our offensive puke into something legit and given us a great season.

GO HAWKS!!

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Also been noted for several weeks how Wilson defers to Schotty almost exclusively. Pete's still a big part of what's going on, but this it seems Schotty's stock has really risen among the team leaders. That's a good thing and in no way is meant to minimize Pete who has to be applauded for helping to bring Schotty on.

GO HAWKS!!!!

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":3bb1cfv3 said:
no disagreement that Schotty has helped save the offense, however, he was very Bevellish today.

To be fair to him the holding penalties made it tough. Only play call that pissed me off was that playaction Russell fumbled on 3rd and 1 when we could have just ran it twice in four down territory.

getnasty

Reaction score
Schotty getting a lot of love for Solaris work.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Schotty did fine. There was the one pass play when we should have ran it but other than that it was another strong outing from his place on the sideline.

The 49's D played really well.

Our D played just okay for much of the game.

That was the difference.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Solari is a big piece of why Schotty's system has done so well but at the end of the day it is Schotty's scheme that has turned this team's fortunes around - and everyone in the Front Office knows it.

Pete said it himself and the announcing crew made a point of making that fact public during today's game.

I find that to be a very gracious gesture on Pete's part. A lot of head coaches wouldn't do that. He did.

Good on him.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":39taj5yx said:
getnasty":39taj5yx said:
Schotty getting a lot of love for Solaris work.

Weird I didn't know Solari called the run plays...

He doesn't. It's Schotty's call and he's been doing a heck of a good job of it.

Solari has the line working well to fit into Schotty's system and Pete, as stated by the announcers today, took a big step back and let Schotty do his thing.

Wise move on Pete's part.

Schotty ball is good ball.

GO HAWKS!!!

seedhawk

Reaction score
Basically, with a few new wrinkles, all Shotty has done is revert our offense to Bevells first 3 or 4 years here. Ground and pound, eat clock, play down to your opponent, and only consider becoming dynamic when desperation sets in.

seabowl

Reaction score
Was it me or did they say his dad Marty has ALS? Pretty sure he has Alzheimer's not ALS. He was a great coach in his day.

Smellyman

Reaction score
seedhawk":3uj3i3b1 said:
Basically, with a few new wrinkles, all Shotty has done is revert our offense to Bevells first 3 or 4 years here. Ground and pound, eat clock, play down to your opponent, and only consider becoming dynamic when desperation sets in.

He makes Bevell look like a genius when it comes to the passing game though. Coaching on the OL has been the bigger difference.

The last bit is especially true, Pete loves the you can't win in the 1st 2nd or 3rd mantra so in the 4th leave it all up to Wilson.

Be nice to win it in the first half now and again.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Schotty is far better than Bevell and doing it with far less overall talent.

Schotty ball is good ball.

GO HAWKS!!!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Schottenheimer is a good OC for fixing QB fundamentals and in general being a QB mentor. The guy has a good track record with QB's, this niche seems to be his thing. Luck looks way better since Schotty got a hold of him, and we all know what he did for Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers. Heck, even ancient Hasselbeck looked rejuvenated underneath his tutelage.

That being said I don't think he is a good OC. He lives and dies by the game plan for better or for worse. His passing offense is overly simplistic, and a clear weak point of this team. I think some of this is a holdover from Carroll's playbook, that being said this has been the case on all of his teams. He doesn't maximize the talent here, and we're leaving a lot on the table in these respects. He somewhat makes up for his lack of passing chops with how he designs the run game and takes advantage of his runningbacks strengths and weaknesses.

A prime example of this is Penny. He realizes that Penny is not very good at running up the middle so he specifically schemes running plays that get him into space and lets Carson/Davis get the tough yards through the middle. He is also very good at working around the strengths and weaknesses of certain lineman. I believe he is just as responsible for the resurgence of our run game as Solari is.

His situational play calling is somewhat questionable at times and he often falls back into predictable patterns. Though, his philosophy is similar to Carroll's in that respect which is why I think Carroll fell in love with him. He doesn't outwit, he is fairly straight forward. Teams know when we're going to run, and when we're going to pass. He is very much of the mindset of "even if you know what we're going to do, you can't stop us".

Unfortunately this mentality often works against us as well. I don't think this approach works as well for offense as it does with defense. A lot of playing offense is about setting the defense up, and adapting to situations. Taking advantage of clear weak spots. It is more of a chess game on the offensive side of the ball. I do think that overall Schotty is a better fit for the team, but I feel as if his offense is a bit too one dimensional. I'm not talking about the run/pass balance either. His entire offense is predicated on the run game working. If the run game is only so-so our offense really seems to stymie. I don't blame this on Wilson. I think this is more of an issue of Schottenheimer being a one trick pony of sorts.

Unyielding and straight forward is what Schottenheimer is. I think he is a better fit than Bevell, but I must say he still is lacking in very many areas that most teams seem to have figured out.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Schotty makes me yearn for a bubble screen and that makes me hate myself.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I think he's doing fine overall. I don't know who to credit for what and don't care really. I would however, like to see someone at some point, figure out a way to get some productivity with the pass in the intermediate areas of the field. When Doug is out, the middle of the field might as well have a 2 story building blocking it. The Vikings game was maddening to no end. We don't use the middle of the field at all and TEs are invisible with the exception of Fant as an extra blocker.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":39uud3p3 said:
I think he's doing fine overall. I don't know who to credit for what and don't care really. I would however, like to see someone at some point, figure out a way to get some productivity with the pass in the intermediate areas of the field. When Doug is out, the middle of the field might as well have a 2 story building blocking it. The Vikings game was maddening to no end. We don't use the middle of the field at all and TEs are invisible with the exception of Fant as an extra blocker.

I think the difficulties with the mid-range middle of the field passing has more to do with Russ having a bit of trouble seeing over the line. I know that makes some people upset to hear it but it is what it is.

Plus, our biggest potential TE went down to injury early in the season. He was getting some mid-range, middle of the field grabs for us early on.