Pete's Presser is 100% about penalties

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Pete's entire press conference is summed up as - "we had the same formula going that we use to win - running, clock control, turnovers and yet we lost. I point to one thing penalties, and the 10 of them in the second half." So to everyone saying that penalties didn't influence this game is out of step with the head coach.

Even Pete, when asked about refs and penalties said something along the lines of "they came at key times. Every time we did something explosive they were called. It's baffling."

SlickRick

Reaction score
I watched it, I feel like with no cameras around & no media, Pete tells his guys, that those were b.s calls. Hell maybe even makes a joke about saying teams have to have refs help them to beat us. This loss is hard to stomach.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
SlickRick":duyiwdtj said:
I watched it, I feel like with no cameras around & no media, Pete tells his guys, that those were b.s calls. Hell maybe even makes a joke about saying teams have to have refs help them to beat us. This loss is hard to stomach.

A cursory reading between the lines would lead you to the conclusion that Pete is baffled by the refs and how one sided it was.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The NFL should be embarrassed over today’s Seattle/SC game.
They were one of the main reasons (not the only) for Seattle’s loss AND they cost the Niners Bosa.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1rn0e13a said:
Pete's entire press conference is summed up as - "we had the same formula going that we use to win - running, clock control, turnovers and yet we lost. I point to one thing penalties, and the 10 of them in the second half." So to everyone saying that penalties didn't influence this game is out of step with the head coach.

Even Pete, when asked about refs and penalties said something along the lines of "they came at key times. Every time we did something explosive they were called. It's baffling."
The penalties definitely played a part, but the Seahawks didn't do their part. I hope Pete doesn't just shrug the responsibility off on the refs. We played down to our opponents, and we made some questionable calls at important times. Distilling it into "the same formula" is a weak answer. The same formula does not work for every game, especially when your defense plays like garbage for over a whole half.

This same team destroyed the Niners just a few weeks ago. What happened? We didn't execute, and we played sloppy football. Yes, some of those penalties were really bad. That being said some of them were 100% on our players as well. Not all of them were phantom calls. The Seahawks definitely got in their own way at times during this game. This was a classic case of Pete playing down to his opponent.

olyfan63

Reaction score
The 49ers right now are well better than their 3-9 or whatever record coming in.
Shanahan has turned his 3rd string QB, Nick whatever, into a legit NFL QB.
Or at least limits his decisions and reads enough to make him look serviceable.

49ers played hard. Their coordinators schemed well for us.
It was delusional to think we'd go in there and the 49ers would give us anything other than their best shot.
This was their playoff game.

We had two key injuries that massively affected the game.
Simmons' replacement Posick contributed two holding penalties that cost the Hawks the game.
Bradley McDougald... what can you say, he's been amazing all year. Huge loss to our D.

The rainy conditions led directly to a couple key 49er pass drops.

The one-sidedness of the ticky-tack calls and the blatantly wrong call (PI on Hill) were nauseating.

We played well enough to win, on the road, against a division opponent.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1zmpqu57 said:
falcongoggles":1zmpqu57 said:

The penalties definitely played a part, but the Seahawks didn't do their part. I hope Pete doesn't just shrug the responsibility off on the refs. We played down to our opponents, and we made some questionable calls at important times. Distilling it into "the same formula" is a weak answer. The same formula does not work for every game, especially when your defense plays like garbage for over a whole half.

This same team destroyed the Niners just a few weeks ago. What happened? We didn't execute, and we played sloppy football. Yes, some of those penalties were really bad. That being said some of them were 100% on our players as well. Not all of them were phantom calls. The Seahawks definitely got in their own way at times during this game. This was a classic case of Pete playing down to his opponent.
:roll:
Bullshit ^....There was a giant disparity when penalties that were committed by BOTH THEAMS....The Seahawks did NOT play as sloppy a game as the lopsided Officiating would have everybody believe.
And YES, there were several "Phantom Calls" at key times in the game...….Just enough to give the edge, and assure a win to the 3 (now 4) wins to the 49rs, & that should tell you everything that you need to know.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
falcongoggles":2kvxamvy said:
So to everyone saying that penalties didn't influence this game is out of step with the head coach.

Who said that penalties didn't influence the game? Specifically.

Tical21

Reaction score
I didn't really take issue with the holding calls. There were two defensive penalties that were very costly that I thought were just awful. In summation, I believe the fact that our guys committed so many penalties was a bigger factor than the refs making poor calls.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Despite how poorly the Seahawks looked today statistically they outplayed the 49ers. The biggest difference maker was penalty yardage. Lots of ridiculous homer calls that influenced the outcome.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1i15rq3t said:
falcongoggles":1i15rq3t said:

You don't really play down to your opponent in the NFL. It's not college where there is a clear talent gap between teams often times. You either play well or you don't and same for the other team your playing. Their O isn't terrible and our D isn't consistent. It was by no means a gimme' coming into a road game. There is 50+ really good athletes/football players on each side every week and to win you have to play well. Not many teams get away with playing poorly and still win in this league. Sure we beat them by a lot 2 weeks ago, but it wasn't like we dominated them. Did you not see how many yards they gained in that game? A few bounces go a different way in that game and it's a much closer game than it ended up being.

Crizilla

Reaction score
i usually dont say refs change the outcome of a game but this was bad. All the close calls went against the seahawks. Usually refs "spread" those calls around or just dont call them at all. Most penalty yards in a game in franchise history (148). Oh well. Still control our own destiny.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
In a close game sometimes it does just come down to the penalties. We got a crucial offensive holding on a 3rd down conversion in OT and then got a crucial DPI on second and long on their drive. Ball game.

And neither had to be called and no one would have complained as they were well within the usual status quo of normal tight play.

Even the lamest refs generally know when to keep their hands off the flags and let the guys play.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
The Poor Calls by the Refs and the Poor Kicking is the bottom line to not winning. If the Kick was made first and the Kick Off for a Return wasn't so badly kicked and covered, the Refs couldn't have done much. But, Put it the hands of the Refs to control the game at the end and the result is what we experienced...

cheese22

Reaction score
Sorry, but no coach that's worth a damn let's his team off the hook by blaming the officials. They might complain at a presser but I guarantee that behind closed doors they are pointing out the mistakes that were made. Bottom line, they should have never given the refs a chance to affect the outcome. If a coach goes in the locker room after a loss and puts any blame on the refs, he's opening the door to his players not taking responsibility for their own actions and saying it's okay to blame someone/something for failing.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
scutterhawk":243h07eh said:
Spin Doctor":243h07eh said:
falcongoggles":243h07eh said:

:roll:
Bullshit ^....There was a giant disparity when penalties that were committed by BOTH THEAMS....The Seahawks did NOT play as sloppy a game as the lopsided Officiating would have everybody believe.
And YES, there were several "Phantom Calls" at key times in the game...….Just enough to give the edge, and assure a win to the 3 (now 4) wins to the 49rs, & that should tell you everything that you need to know.

I concur - the penalties were clearly the primary reason the hapless 49ers were gifted the win. Every game has areas that better execution could be identified. The problem with this particular game is that the Seahawks did execute well at critical points and the officials unnecessarily put themselves in the game and took away well executed plays on both sides of the ball.

I get it, and it happens to most teams at some point in the season, but just because it happens doesn't mean people need to accept it without calling it for what it is. Had the calls been even remotely balanced and not skewed the 49ers would not have been particularly close.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
cheese22":1trss20w said:
Sorry, but no coach that's worth a damn let's his team off the hook by blaming the officials. They might complain at a presser but I guarantee that behind closed doors they are pointing out the mistakes that were made. Bottom line, they should have never given the refs a chance to affect the outcome. If a coach goes in the locker room after a loss and puts any blame on the refs, he's opening the door to his players not taking responsibility for their own actions and saying it's okay to blame someone/something for failing.

Being blind doesn't alter the truth of what happened. Obviously the team will look at the game as a whole and identify the areas to improve/execute. To not identify the times the officials didn't execute in a fair and balanced manner is also foolish, especially when the frequency and timing were extreme.

The referees were unbalanced and not calling that out is foolish. The penalties were the worst since 1979. Many of which altered the game significantly and crucial times. Doesn't that seem somewhat peculiar? :shock:

Ozzy

Reaction score
The refs were bad but this was more about what we did and didn't do. Waving the white flag at the end of the half and just being ultra conservative on a few 4th and short calls, the defensive game plan didn't bring any pressure until the end, too predictable on offense etc. This felt like a game where we were out coached, out played and then the officiating was just the icing on the cake. I was a little disappointed that Pete focused only on the penalties post game.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
The refs killed two game winning drives, one in the 4th quarter and the other in OT. The reality is that they can call holding on almost every play. They kept choosing the worst possible times for us to throw the flags, but 14 penalties for 148 yards is absurd, especially when compared to SF that had 8 flags for 66 yards. That personal foul on Thorpe still pisses me off, the ref should have just stepped between them, or else flagged both guys.

I normally don't believe in conspiracy theories, but it does make sense the League wants their nationally telecast Sunday night Chief-Seahawk game to be must-see TV and a ratings winner. If we had clinched a playoff spot yesterday, there would be a lot less interest, since our motivation would be ratcheted way down.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Tusc2000":3j1dfgwd said:
That personal foul on Thorpe still pisses me off, the ref should have just stepped between them, or else flagged both guys.

I loved the TV guys commenting on the replay showing the SF guy initiating the action.They fumbled for a narrative that the SF guy was just playing hard until the whistle was blown. While he initiated the shoving before the whistle he continued well after. That's when Thorpe got up off the ground to retaliate (which was stupid). Yes, Thorpe should have been flagged, but so should have SF.