We have to get better, maybe not the refs' fault

MO Hawk

Reaction score
Just my thoughts, help me think this through as I process it tonight? I think we have to look at our weaknesses lately and admit tonight was on us and a good wake up call.

Defense:
1. Our defense has been giving up huge gains on first downs, 8 yards or more most of the time.
2. Our defense has a hard time getting off the field
3. A lot of poor tackling this evening on D and special teams. This is not the refs fault
4. We continue to play exceptionally well in the red zone

Offense:
1. Line isn't getting the push without Fluker
2. Rus isn't himself lately as far as performance. He is either missing open receivers or they aren't getting open.
3. With the success of our running game it should open up the passing game more than it has.

Special teams:
1. Not bad, missed tackles hurt us tonight
2. Janakowski does not appear to be the solution. Obviously his age tells us he is not our long term solution. Hope we can find a kicker who is as good at kicking as Dickson is at punting. What a great pick with Dickson!

Overall, We are a great team on the rise that is in a slump lately. Keeps us humble and hungry, not totally a bad thing going into the playoffs.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
We have to get better no doubt, A lot of piss poor play by Seattle, but so do the clowns throwing the penalty flags.
The call on Shaq was HORRIBLE! It was a gamechanger.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
The team is young and needs/needed to get better even if they had won and even if they win the next 2 games. The real goal in this NFL is a team has to get good enough (specially on D) to win despite what calls you may or may not get in a game or in a season. It's always that way in sports, but it's even more important these days in the NFL where they have grossly over legislated the game to borrow a political term. There are so many specific rules that don't fit well within the game of football that even good officials struggle to remain good/consistent. When you are a good not great team, you are susceptible to getting the short end of the stick in close games. The Super Bowl team was good enough to win despite getting an inordinate number of PI and other defensive penalties called on them regularly. This team is not yet good enough to withstand those and the offense isn't good enough to overcome setbacks that put you way behind the chains regularly.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
We definitely have an issue in our short zone play. Allowing a bad team to consistently connect on 6-8 yard passes is maddening.

I think last night we blitzed too much. Mullens showed early he is good at making quick throws under pressure. Bring 4 and cover better is what we should have done more. Not sure what the stats say, but by eye it sure seemed like we were blitzing a ton. Blitz when its 3rd and long, not 2nd and 5.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I’m sorry but we played exactly like we’ve played on the winning streak. Big rushing stats. Win the turnover ratio. Good on 3rd downs. Efficient in red zone. Only difference was penalty numbers were way off.

I agree we have to be better if we are going to put up 14 penalties. You have to be pretty much perfect on every other down if you are going to do that. But the reality is, if we played the same as Sunday and just had 4 penalties, we win that game in a laugher.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
One bad game and people are jumping off bridges. Meh, upsets happen. The refs had a hell of a lot more to do with this loss than anything. Big play.....penalty. Over and over again.