This was the very definition of a trap game

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Playing a game against an opponent that you seem to beat regularly. An opponent that is struggling and has one of the worst teams in the league. As a game right before the big game with one of the 'better' teams in the NFL.

Add in that the team has a QB with less than half a year of NFL games under his belt, so your scouting team is going to have a much harder time coming up with a game plan.

Also, McDougald has kept us in games and made game turning plays throughout the season. Not having him was huge, because our secondary was tremendously vulnerable.

Additionally, given the officials were bad - a number of studies have shown that poor officials tend to make calls that favor the home team. That favored us last week but was bound to hurt us on the road. Officiating has been awful this year and away games were going to mean calls against us.

Finally, our team has always seemed to play worse on grass. So a sloppy grass field in the rain was bound to bite us.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out our guys were mentally preparing a bit for the Chiefs instead of focusing on this game. It would have been easy to assume the 49ers would just roll over, even in their home stadium, since we regularly beat them. It was the perfect trap game and it clearly caught us.

It happens but I don't think it is anything to worry about.

I am worried a bit that Wilson is on a bit of a cold streak but he is streaky by default. Eventually, he is going to warm up and it is better to have it hit now than in the playoffs.

If they lay an egg against a Chiefs team that looks like they miss Hunt badly? Then we can worry a bit, but this is probably one of those bound to happen losses that has nothing to do with the team's chance at success or overall strength.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure it is a "trap" game if you have the chance to punch your ticket to the playoffs. That should have been enough to get the Seahawks' attention.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":krtvlupf said:
I'm not sure it is a "trap" game if you have the chance to punch your ticket to the playoffs. That should have been enough to get the Seahawks' attention.

True, but it certainly looked like a young immature team after winning a couple big games thinking they've "arrived" and coming out sloppy and flat.

That's what was so disappointing and frustrating for me, not the refs.........after the D looked so solid in the Vikings game to come out and look like their old selves with the misses tackles, terrible gap and fit assignments and busted coverages with guys wide open again.

I get that McDougald is a big loss, but all those DB's and LB's are experienced enough to not play like that.

94Smith

Reaction score
I give you everything except not having tape on Mullens. He’s played 6 games. They played 2 weeks ago. The stars just aligned for a 49ers win. We haven’t had a KO return since 2011. Everything went right for the 49ers, except the turnover and it was still overtime

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
The NFL is a funny place.

Last week: Vikings = hot garbage. Cowboys = Super Bowl Bound. Seahawks = euphoria.

This week: Vikings = "Old Vikings" are back. Rebook those SB plans. Cowboys = Uh oh, read too many press clippings. Seahawks = WTF??

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I agree it was a trap game even with the chance to clinch a playoff spot because it wasn't a do or die for a playoff spot. As much as it would have been nice to clinch outside of a chance to rest some guys in week 17 or the 5th spot vs 6th there was no urgency yesterday. I still have total faith if came down to that the team will beat Arizona in week 17 but it will be an uncomfortable week if it comes to that.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Mentally, I can see the Seahawks focusing more on the Chiefs thinking the 49ers would not require a lot of mindspace.

And remember the team has literally the worst team in the NFL at home, so I imagine the sense of urgency is not great considering that is essentially a win in the back pocket. The Cardinals will probably try to lose that game just to assure they get the #1 pick.

And 6 games is not a tremendous amount of tape to gameplan against a starting QB. (Though I have to say that I was very impressed by how Mullens does not seem to get flustered and makes some pretty damned good throws for essentially a rookie after being thrown into the fire. He looks solid and the moment is not too big for him. He is going to be worth a lot in trades once their starting QB comes back.)

I am not even sure losing to the Chiefs would be a reason to get too pessimistic. As long as they kept it close in a competitive game.

I don't see any way we could lose to the Cardinals. So we should be fine.