A few thoughts about Sunday

lukerguy

Reaction score
First of all the I think we need to stop acting like the 49ers are some pathetic team. With Mullens, they're actually decent. Certainly an average team in the NFL. Playing on the road, poor playing conditions (footing and wetness), with a team playing with nothing to lose.

The Seahawks offense was actually quite efficient most of the day. They controlled the ball, ran it very well. . The defense gave up yards but stood tall a few times on 3rd down but with some poor results. Doug Baldwin looks like Doug Baldwin again which is more important than a win if they want to make a big run in the playoffs. The Seahawks still have a 96% chance of making the playoffs
www.projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-nfl-predictions/

The Seahawks should have won the game and had the following happen to them:
-Two point-scoring drives extended by phantom DPI penalties
- Two most likely game winning drives negated by holding penalties. Ethan Pocic, 3rd string G will hopefully never play another snap for the Seahawks. These were likely not phantom but unlikely nontheless considering it required two guards to get hurt for him to play.
- There was a kickoff/special teams TD.
- There was at least one TD due to wrong equipment (cleats).
-There was one scoring drive due to 3 15 yard penalties.

Some .net poster said the 49ers looked like the "better" team. I cannot disagree more. The Seahawks dominated every aspect of the game except special teams.

The sky isn't falling. The Hawks are very good. And if you say otherwise, that's okay but don't come back here praising them when they knock of the darling chiefs next week who can't stop a nose bleed. End rant.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yesterday's game was a microcosm of why fans love the NFL, it's a parity league with very small margins of error deciding most games every weekend.

Any given Sunday, when you come out sloppy against a highly motivated division rival, make a bunch of mistakes, penalties and your defense looks like garbage for an entire half................you risk getting beat.

We got beat.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Had those 2 holdings penalties on the Davis run and McKissac catch or the one on the Lockett punt return not happened (assuming the O would have driven for the winning points), the narrative would have been despite having issues through the first 3 quarter, the D made the plays when it mattered down the stretch. They dominated the last 2 series of regulation

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Indeed, the 49ers aren't pathetic. Now, as for the Cardinals.......they truly are pathetic.

Bad news is that presuming the Seahawks beat the Cardinals, that might ensure facing Nick Bosa twice a year for a very long time.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":8g3u02m7 said:
Indeed, the 49ers aren't pathetic. Now, as for the Cardinals.......they truly are pathetic.

Bad news is that presuming the Seahawks beat the Cardinals, that might ensure facing Nick Bosa twice a year for a very long time.

I know this isn't practical thinking cause the Cards are in our division too, but based on the my feelings on them vs the Niners, the one bright spot pointed out by Mina Kimes was the Niners pretty much insured they will not be picking first.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":t1or2roq said:
Silver Hawk":t1or2roq said:

I know this isn't practical thinking cause the Cards are in our division too, but based on the my feelings on them vs the Niners, the one bright spot pointed out by Mina Kimes was the Niners pretty much insured they will not be picking first.

Silver lining, re 49ers.

Maybe the Cardinals will trade down anyway. They need far more than just one guy.

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
Thanks for the well-reasoned post. While people get sick of Pete and Russ's blue sky post-game pressers after losses like this, it is as Russ said a learning experience for a young team. Much of the pain was self-inflicted, but as the OP points out, a lot had to go wrong in a divisional trap game coming off a Monday nighter. On to KC. As long as they play well next week (win or lose), and play well and beat the Cardinals and get into the playoffs, I'm content.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
lukerguy":3dsowivo said:
Some .net poster said the 49ers looked like the "better" team. I cannot disagree more. The Seahawks dominated every aspect of the game except special teams.

The sky isn't falling. The Hawks are very good. And if you say otherwise, that's okay but don't come back here praising them when they knock of the darling chiefs next week who can't stop a nose bleed. End rant.

LFG!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Good call.

I too thought we were fine against the Niners and it was merely a bunch of crap penalties that derailed the team. Our penalty numbers for the last 3 games: 4, 14, 3.

That's not the players, that's the officiating. It's been atrocious all year as far as emphasis and consistency and it bit us against SF. But the team otherwise was doing what they always do.

sutz

Reaction score
Was listening to 710AM radio the other day, before the Chiefs game, and heard an interesting comment about officiating.

Apparently, the crew of our 49ers game is the most flag happy in the league, especially on line infractions like holding, while the crew we drew for Sunday night was one of the least penalizing crews in the league. It kind of makes sense, if you believe in conspiracies, that NBC would want less penalties in their flagship weekly game so maybe they screen shit like that and pressure the league on who refs their games. After all, SNFB is all about product and entertainment value and nobody likes to see them standing around figuring out penalties.

Anyway, that comment on ref crews struck me as rather important and it surely worked out that way.

:idea:

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Arizona may be pathetic, but they were pathetic last year and still beat us at the end of the season to knock us out of the playoffs. Important that we kick their butts on Sunday, not just to secure the 5 seed, but simply to demonstrate that we can.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Tusc2000":pzjegbi1 said:
Arizona may be pathetic, but they were pathetic last year and still beat us at the end of the season to knock us out of the playoffs. Important that we kick their butts on Sunday, not just to secure the 5 seed, but simply to demonstrate that we can.
WE were pathetic at the end of last season, so there you go.

sutz

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":s0iw5umm said:
Tusc2000":s0iw5umm said:
WE were pathetic at the end of last season, so there you go.
The point still matters. The playoffs are the worst time to 'play down to your opponent's level."

I agree, by late December, last year's team had pretty much given up. Probably why so many vets were let go of. When they start making 'business decisions' about how hard they play, they are not Pete Carroll type players.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Incredible atmosphere on Sunday night, and that stadium was rockin. Just a great battle the entire night and that team was focused. Russ, Doug and Lockett were flat out nails.
As far as the playing down to your opponent thing, exactly what the Bears did on Sunday at Santa Clara. It's annoying when it happens, but it's pretty common.