Cowherd on Mahomes and Wilson

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Colin is right on this point. RW is one of the most underrated QB's in NFL history. People are infatuated with total passing yards. RW has the #2 passer rating in the history of the league, is having a career year and no pro bowl?? WTH???

SlickRick

Reaction score
SeaWolv":j65plkb7 said:
Colin is right on this point. RW is one of the most underrated QB's in NFL history. People are infatuated with total passing yards. RW has the #2 passer rating in the history of the league, is having a career year and no pro bowl?? WTH???

Cosign, heard it this morning

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
The pro bowl snub was borderline disgusting. Rodgers and Goff lol.

Considering our losses, Russ should definitely be in the MVP conversation (alongside Brees imo), but I doubt he even gets a single vote when it comes down to it.

Also agree with SeaWolv. I don’t know if there has ever been a more underrated or overlooked guy than Russ. Massive, consistent success under all circumstances, but for whatever reason, his name doesn’t carry the weight like Rodgers, Brady and Brees.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
The idea that Mahomes was better than Wilson was always laughable. Is Mahomes more talented? Absolutely. But it’s kind of like the Aaron Rodgers vs Tom Brady debate. Mahomes has not earned his stripes yet

chris98251

Reaction score
If you want to label guys, Mahomes is a guy that has yet to carry a team and prove himself under less then ideal situations, Wilson has done it with a good defense, he has done it with no O line to speak of, he has done it with a Running game, and without a running game.

He has not put in the time under the circumstances that Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Brees, Rivers has and produced regardless of the record of the team he plays for.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":1axvkmj4 said:
If you want to label guys, Mahomes is a guy that has yet to carry a team and prove himself under less then ideal situations, Wilson has done it with a good defense, he has done it with no O line to speak of, he has done it with a Running game, and without a running game.

He has not put in the time under the circumstances that Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Brees, Rivers has and produced regardless of the record of the team he plays for.

Heck, even add MattyIce to that list.

sutz

Reaction score
Nice to see Russ get some props. Things we all know like, he works harder than most, he plays better than most, he puts his ego aside and just does what he can to help the team win.

When he was drafted, I considered him an interesting prospect and was worried that the big bad NFL would not allow him to succeed for all the old tired reasons: too 'small' being one of the biggest. Most guys his size don't even get a chance. But Pete has that mindset, perhaps unique among NFL coaches, that he can get the best out of anybody, and you don't cut a guy out because of things that in the end don't matter. Russ is like the living embodiment of that old saying, "It's not about the size of the dog in the fight, it's about the size of the fight in the dog." As a guy that just never quits, and always believes he can win no matter the situation, he's a great guy to have on your team.

Bandwagon76

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1vjtpjne said:
chris98251":1vjtpjne said:

Heck, even add MattyIce to that list.

We love to hate him but Big Ben belongs on every list like this.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
That whole argument is flawed. Like saying Dilfer is better than Moon because he won the big game. Mahomes lost the big games this year because that defense is damn near the worst in the league.

Now, i agree with the premise but the logic to get there is flawed. This isn't tennis. It's not one on one. It's a team sport.

LTH

Reaction score
sutz":2qz7jjq9 said:
Nice to see Russ get some props. Things we all know like, he works harder than most, he plays better than most, he puts his ego aside and just does what he can to help the team win.

When he was drafted, I considered him an interesting prospect and was worried that the big bad NFL would not allow him to succeed for all the old tired reasons: too 'small' being one of the biggest. Most guys his size don't even get a chance. But Pete has that mindset, perhaps unique among NFL coaches, that he can get the best out of anybody, and you don't cut a guy out because of things that in the end don't matter. Russ is like the living embodiment of that old saying, "It's not about the size of the dog in the fight, it's about the size of the fight in the dog." As a guy that just never quits, and always believes he can win no matter the situation, he's a great guy to have on your team.

I totally agree... great analogy about the dog... who said that?

LTH

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Trrrroy":9thi48c8 said:
That whole argument is flawed. Like saying Dilfer is better than Moon because he won the big game. Mahomes lost the big games this year because that defense is damn near the worst in the league.

Now, i agree with the premise but the logic to get there is flawed. This isn't tennis. It's not one on one. It's a team sport.

Mahomes was not going against the Bears defense. He was going against what by all numbers is supposed to be an average Seahawks defense. With Hill, Kelce, and an offensive genius at head coach

Mahomes did not make some of the throws late that Wilson did. Wilson had several wide throws. People are talking about the Chiefs defense as if guys were running wide open

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2er1liy5 said:
Trrrroy":2er1liy5 said:

Mahomes was not going against the Bears defense. He was going against what by all numbers is supposed to be an average Seahawks defense. With Hill, Kelce, and an offensive genius at head coach

Mahomes did not make some of the throws late that Wilson did. Wilson had several wide throws. People are talking about the Chiefs defense as if guys were running wide open

Yeah, but he also put up 31 points in a prime time game in Seattle. What more is he supposed to do? It's not his fault that his defense gave up 38. He scored 51 against the Rams and 40 against the Pats, but somehow it's his fault they lost? The Only loss where he performed poorly was against the Bears and the best defense in the NFL. And guess what, Russell struggled there, too.

sutz

Reaction score
LTH":30nig1zz said:
sutz":30nig1zz said:

I totally agree... great analogy about the dog... who said that?

LTH
TBH, I don't know, but it goes way back. I think I heard it first in the 80's or so.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Trrrroy":3gs54hp1 said:
Scorpion05":3gs54hp1 said:
Trrrroy":3gs54hp1 said:

Yeah, but he also put up 31 points in a prime time game in Seattle. What more is he supposed to do? It's not his fault that his defense gave up 38. He scored 51 against the Rams and 40 against the Pats, but somehow it's his fault they lost? The Only loss where he performed poorly was against the Bears and the best defense in the NFL. And guess what, Russell struggled there, too.

Absolutely agree.

I love Russ. But Mahomes is an absolute stud and did everything he could to win that game, just as Wilson did.

Both guys balled out, Wilson's team just happened to be better Sunday.

That shouldn't have any bearing on how a fan regards Mahomes.

As a fan, would love either guy on my side honestly.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Both have unique gifts. But Russ is in his 7th season, and is far more experienced. Russ doesn't cough the ball up anywhere near as much. Mahones has a better arm and a higher ceiling. But right now Russ is the better QB -- and it showed the other night.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I loved his point on volume. Buffets have a lot of food but it certainly isn't the best. Excellent analogy.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Trrrroy":3nta640e said:
Scorpion05":3nta640e said:
Trrrroy":3nta640e said:

Got it, Mahomes put up 31 and his defense gave up 38. All Mahomes on the scoring and all KC defense on the scoring against.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
My point is Mahomes has played more than well enough to win in every single game he's played this season minus one. For Cowherd to say he's a worse QB than Russell just because he's lost "the big games" is flawed logic.

Like I said, I agree with Cowherd's premise, i just disagree with the logic that got him there.