T2's health

HawkGA

Reaction score
As I like to say, I'm a doctor but not that kind of doctor. Anybody know what this means?

Pete Carroll provided a little more insight into the mysterious chest issue that kept free safety Tedric Thompson out Sunday night, saying he has "some air in the tissue outside of his lungs" that needs to dissipate on its own before he can play again. Carroll said Thompson is running and feeling better today. He'll be re-examined later this week.

(taken from a tweet through ESPN but I don't know how to post it that way and took it from the ESPN Seahawks page: http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/sea ... e-seahawks ).

themunn

Reaction score
svenge":3upigvjq said:
Could be Pneumothorax, at least based on that description that Pete gave.

Sounds exactly like that. Usually lasts a day for me though the worst I ever had was about 1 week before I could breathe freely

sutz

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3benm0k5 said:
what causes that?
As they said, it's essentially air trapped in the chest cavity, but not inside the lungs. This causes pressure, that prevents the lung/s from filling completely, kind of like having a heavy weight on your chest. In severe cases, I believe they can insert a probe and let the air escape, but that creates a wound that has to heal, which could last a week or two, which is probably why they didn't do that.

Funny kind of condition, but I can understand why it could be disabling, if you can't take full breaths, you can't play at full strength.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Thanks..understand better and that sucks

Seafan

Reaction score
A pneumothorax is a collapsed lung. He has air in the interstitial space. It is known as air crepitus and can be caused by blunt trauma which is likely how his was caused. It can interfere with breathing if it is a large amount.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
The website linked to above suggested it was a condition found in infants. Guessing that's not the case for T2. So did he just take a hard hit and that's what did it?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I had that once, from coughing too hard. My right lung was quite collapsed. I had a spigot pounded between 2 ribs, ripping the cartilage. A 3-day hospital stay, a couple weeks off work, and the pain didn't totally disappear for 20 whole years. Hopefully Tedric's deal isn't quite that bad! The ER doc said that if I wasn't careful for a while it could recur in either lung and if the left one collapsed the resulting heart strain could kill me. Not the sort of thing one normally heard at 24 years old!

Donn2390

Reaction score
I had it once many years ago and every time you take a breath it feels like someone stabbed you. Very painful but eventually goes away on it's own.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
spontaneous pneumothorax tends to occur in people with small pockets in the apex of their lungs that occasionally burst.
TT probably had a traumatic pneumothorax from blunt force that ruptured an air cell and leaked air between the lung and pleura. If its mild it will spontaneously resolve. If severe and the lung is partially collapsed a chest tube is required.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3uzt85ot said:
I had that once, from coughing too hard. My right lung was quite collapsed. I had a spigot pounded between 2 ribs, ripping the cartilage. A 3-day hospital stay, a couple weeks off work, and the pain didn't totally disappear for 20 whole years. Hopefully Tedric's deal isn't quite that bad! The ER doc said that if I wasn't careful for a while it could recur in either lung and if the left one collapsed the resulting heart strain could kill me. Not the sort of thing one normally heard at 24 years old!

Aaaarrrrggghhhh, don't remind me of that horrid procedure! Chest-tube was maybe the most painful event I've ever experienced, and passed out (I guess I was a 17 year-old wimp), but then upon waking up with a surgical tube sticking out my chest, I felt OK, and the lung reinflated after a couple days. Watching the Doc whip the tube out was entertaining, too--I'll spare you the disgusting details. :177692:

Is there any indication that T2 actually collapsed a lung?

sutz

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2a9n3ph0 said:
GeekHawk":2a9n3ph0 said:

Aaaarrrrggghhhh, don't remind me of that horrid procedure! Chest-tube was maybe the most painful event I've ever experienced, and passed out (I guess I was a 17 year-old wimp), but then upon waking up with a surgical tube sticking out my chest, I felt OK, and the lung reinflated after a couple days. Watching the Doc whip the tube out was entertaining, too--I'll spare you the disgusting details. :177692:

Is there any indication that T2 actually collapsed a lung?
They haven't said it's that serious so far. Sometimes hard to tell with Pete's comments, but it sounds like it's the less serious type that goes away on it's own. Let's hope so.

Jville

Reaction score
Good news is always welcomed .........

[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/1078045263124586496[/tweet]