Fant as RT from now on?

toffee

Reaction score
Any merit in having Fant as starting RT from now on with Ifedi as backup? No doubt that Ifedi's plays improved this season with experience and coaching from Solari, but so has Fant ....

A-Dog

Reaction score
Fant's contract status after this year will be one of the more interesting stories of the offseason IMO. He's a RFA after this year, and if he isn't signed longer-term, both he and Ifedi would be UFAs after next season. Who do they keep for 2020 (at which point Duane Brown will be 35 years old and could be cut for a cap savings of $8,500,000).

How much is he worth as a back-up swing T and monster TE? How will Dissly come back from his devastating injury? And what about Jamarco Jones - could he be a solid 3rd OT?

In an ideal world Fant would be signed long-term, play a similar role in 2019, and take over LT in 2020. Ifedi would solidify himself at RT and also re-up, and Jones would develop, stay healthy, push the starters and provide solid depth at both spots. Brown would lead the line through two title runs (2018 and 2019 seasons) before restructuring/getting cut/retiring before the 2020 season (opening up the cap space to sign Fant and Ifedi).

Jville

Reaction score
Over the course of this season, George Fant, JR Sweezy and Ethan Pocic have demonstrated how indispensable and valuable versatile linemen are to the success of a football campaign.

Although typically overlooked nationally, it's good to have a forum where the versatility their service can be duly recognized and celebrated.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Based on a single game performance, how did Fant do at RT vs Ifedi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tical21

Reaction score
I think as we move into the next few years, best possible scenario is that Jones takes that job. He will be on his rookie deal for three more years.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
toffee":gtuldz1a said:
Based on a single game performance, how did Fant do at RT vs Ifedi?

I think Fant re-created Ifedi down to the ever annoying holding call.

I think we have a nice collection of OL now that Solari is coaching them to success. I would ideally like to keep Fant, Ifedi, Fluker, Brown, Britt for a few more years. Sweezy would be nice if cheap but he really is the Chris Gray of Seahawk linemen. Limited talent but great attitude and always working hard.

Then I'm hoping Jamarcus Jones develops, Pocic gets stronger and Hunt grows 3 inches.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
According to field gull:

Fant more than held his own, posting a 77.0 pass blocking grade and a 67.0 run blocking grade, which ranked 21st and 15th out of 63 tackles last week, respectively.

Small sampling but don’t think Ifedi enjoyed that kind of ranking.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Tical21":3ie7qzuz said:
I think as we move into the next few years, best possible scenario is that Jones takes that job. He will be on his rookie deal for three more years.
Yeah but then who is backup? If we are only considering options currently on the roster, that means Fant, Ifedi, Jones... ideally we can lock up Fant and Ifedi long-term on reasonable deals after the season ends.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Fant has found a great role for the team. Would love to see him keep that role.

THE TABS

Reaction score
I would NOT pick up Ifedi’s 5th year option. I’d have have Fant and the Jones kid compete for the job, with the loser being the 6th o-lineman in our 6 lineman package.

I do think Ifedi has performed much better, but I’d rather save that money if we’re getting comparable performance at a cheaper rate.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I imagine Seattle will want to keep their ability to run 6 OL when they want, so I doubt Ifedi goes anywhere for the time being.

sutz

Reaction score
They are probably hopeful that Dissly will make it back. Then we wouldn't have to run so many 6OL sets. ;)

olyfan63

Reaction score
Ifedi is now serviceable, even above average at times, at RT, since a full season of Solari coaching.
Fant is now serviceable, with upside, at RT.
Isn't this a happy problem to have?
The Seahawks will find a way to keep them both, that's what I expect.
Then you have Jordan Simmons in the mix, granted, at G instead of T.
Expecting Simmons to come back healthy next year.
Young and cheap and good OL... what's not to like?

On Ifedi or Fant at RT, I say go with Ifedi for the time being and next year, if he wins the job again.
Fant can do the Outside Tackle thing and be almost a receiving threat. Ifedi? I'd have to see that one.

Fade

Reaction score
Fant is an upcoming RFA, and he will be tendered. So he isn't going anywhere.

2020 will be decision making time in terms of who to keep. Ifedi, Fant, or neither. It will all depend on what they will be offered in Free Agency. I wouldn't want to spend anything crazy on those guys.

I would continue to play Fant at TE to keep his value down as a Tackle, and then re-sign him at a bargain to be the new starter at RT if Ifedi gets paid big money elsewhere. Every start Fant makes at Tackle his value will go up.

Jamarco Jones is a nice prospect waiting in the wings that could play LT or RT.

The Seahawks are in good shape at Tackle with no need for a significant investment at the position for another season.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Fade":3pu9woda said:
I would continue to play Fant at TE to keep his value down as a Tackle

Strongly disagree with this. If the team has a better chance of winning with Fant at T, that's where he should play, period.

I would like to see him signed long-term, sooner rather than later. I think it would give Fant long-term financial stability in exchange for the chance at a big payday in free agency, and it would be a long-term investment for the Seahawks that will pay off if he continues to stay healthy and develop in to a future starter at OT.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Well going into this game, Sweezy is doubtful and Fluker is questionable.

So assuming Pocic plays LG, wo is going to play RG? Might I suggest Ifedi at RG and Fant at RT? That would likely spare Ifedi's groin more trauma and put the 5 best available guys out there.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2xylfkon said:

So assuming Pocic plays LG, wo is going to play RG? Might I suggest Ifedi at RG and Fant at RT? That would likely spare Ifedi's groin more trauma and put the 5 best available guys out there.

might as well rest Ifedi for another game, start Fant at RT, Hunt/Pocic as guards.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3axv4s6t said:

Looks like My line of thinking meshes with the coaches. Unfortunately Ifedi played guard like he did his rookie season. He may be a so-so tackle but he's a bad guard. Plays too high.