Sebastian Janikowski's stats: close to league average

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/dannyoneil/status/1078383323175575553[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/dannyoneil/status/1078383579288104960[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/dannyoneil/status/1078383731860099072[/tweet]

sutz

Reaction score
It's easy to think "he sucks" when his misses are emphasized around here. I posted a few days ago that I thought Seabass was a "league average" kicker. Guess I was right.

Cue the "He's below league average in those tweets!" complaints. Yeah, but hardly a statistically significant amount. I was never really high on him, but he's been adequate so far. One of these days, we're gonna need a long term answer at place kicker. Sure, Walsh sucked, but perhaps the team should have scored more TDs in 2017, too. ;)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":ct98j277 said:
It's easy to think "he sucks" when his misses are emphasized around here. I posted a few days ago that I thought Seabass was a "league average" kicker. Guess I was right.

Cue the "He's below league average in those tweets!" complaints. Yeah, but hardly a statistically significant amount. I was never really high on him, but he's been adequate so far. One of these days, we're gonna need a long term answer at place kicker. Sure, Walsh sucked, but perhaps the team should have scored more TDs in 2017, too. ;)

Talk to Raider fans about Janikoswki, and they'll tell you the same thing that's going on here...........it's not so much his stats, it's his apathetic demeanor that irritates you.

I've defended Seabass, he's made some big kicks this year. But you can tell he literally does not care, which can help a kicker having that move on who cares personality. But it also annoys fans when you whiff on a tackle and barely speak in pressers or interviews like a special needs child.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
He'll get us through the playoffs. We'll replace him next season. Lets find another Aussie, one who can placekick. :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":okaruyqd said:
He'll get us through the playoffs. We'll replace him next season. Lets find another Aussie, one who can placekick. :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

This year's Seahawks ain't a chump team after all...

[youtube]7lHqG3sj1Fw[/youtube]

hawknation2018

Reaction score
He’s been alright. Still below average on FGs. In hindsight, they should have kept Jason Myers. Janikowski’s question marks in terms of age and injuries were known. But who could have known at the time that Myers would have a career year? Myers seemed to be missing more kicks in practice than Janikowski.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I wanted to go get Dan Bailey when the Cowboys cut him before the season. He was my kicker for years in fantasy & always did well for me.

I'm OK with Seabass for the season though. He won 1 game(Cardinals) for us & maybe lost 1(49ers) which is better than straight up costing us 2 or 3 like the last guy.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
He's below average.
Walsh was far below average.

I'd like an above average kicker.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":2m509ry6 said:
I wanted to go get Dan Bailey when the Cowboys cut him before the season. He was my kicker for years in fantasy & always did well for me.

I'm OK with Seabass for the season though. He won 1 game(Cardinals) for us & maybe lost 1(49ers) which is better than straight up costing us 2 or 3 like the last guy.

The Vikings haven’t been too happy with Dan Bailey. He missed four FGs in three games. Bailey’s 74% on FGs is significantly worse than Janikowski’s 80%.

Last season, Walsh was only making 72%.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Bailey is awful -- the key is when you have a good kicker you keep him.

Hauschka is similar to Janikowski 22-27 (5 misses this year)

I don't believe Janikowski has cost us any games as maliciously as Walsh did last year.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":gl6pp844 said:

I don't think Janikowski is terrible, but I have some serious problems with the way they're determining an average number here and what that means. This "average" includes the average of dudes who just completely turded it out and got cut with not many games, and their contribution to the average is significant even with less attempts.

When I go pull the numbers for qualified players on FGs (15 attempts), Janikowski is ranked 26th with 80%. 19 full time kickers were above 83.9% (one of them is right at it). There are several other players that pop up as unqualified and there end up being 45 dudes who have made attempts. Most are washouts who had terrible runs like Zane Gonzalez or Matt McCrane; their numbers are atrocious, even with the limited attempts they have.

The biggest problem with Janikowski's number is that he boned two field goals form the 30-39 yard range, and he seems to make mistakes at weird times that come back to be a bit critical. Most of his problems were earlier in the season. The XP problems happen to enough of the other guys that it's not completely out of whack. But a lot of dudes kicked around/more than the same number attempts from that 30-39 range and they all seem to make them all or miss one (except for Chicago's kicker). If he makes one of those he's doing much better; if he makes both he is one of the better kickers in the league.

He's a below average (probably well below) kicker at this point when it comes to consistent, easier stuff. He's still one of the best guys to have if you need a 50-something yarder with the game on the line. Kind of a weird trade off.

The team can do a lot better and I hope they can upgrade.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3ny9yyer said:
MontanaHawk05":3ny9yyer said:

I don't think Janikowski is terrible, but I have some serious problems with the way they're determining an average number here and what that means. This "average" includes the average of dudes who just completely turded it out and got cut with not many games, and their contribution to the average is significant even with less attempts.

When I go pull the numbers for qualified players on FGs (15 attempts), Janikowski is ranked 26th with 80%. 19 full time kickers were above 83.9% (one of them is right at it). There are several other players that pop up as unqualified and there end up being 45 dudes who have made attempts. Most are washouts who had terrible runs like Zane Gonzalez or Matt McCrane; their numbers are atrocious, even with the limited attempts they have.

The biggest problem with Janikowski's number is that he boned two field goals form the 30-39 yard range, and he seems to make mistakes at weird times that come back to be a bit critical. Most of his problems were earlier in the season. The XP problems happen to enough of the other guys that it's not completely out of whack. But a lot of dudes kicked around/more than the same number attempts from that 30-39 range and they all seem to make them all or miss one (except for Chicago's kicker). If he makes one of those he's doing much better; if he makes both he is one of the better kickers in the league.

He's a below average (probably well below) kicker at this point when it comes to consistent, easier stuff. He's still one of the best guys to have if you need a 50-something yarder with the game on the line. Kind of a weird trade off.

The team can do a lot better and I hope they can upgrade.

Ha. Everyone covering up for the fact that they would never have guessed Janikowski was that close to the average. They probably would have guessed 60%-70% or something. ;)

80% is not below average by a statistically meaningful degree. Only by a small amount that becomes irrelevant in the overall conversation.

Besides, wat? Those terrible and backup kickers' numbers are computed against the good kickers as well as Janikowski. And 85% still means you're going to miss kicks and make bad decisions.

He's not amazing, and he's not SB-era Hauschka, but he's not Walsh, either. The outrage towards him right now is statistically misplaced.

I personally would just like to see him replaced because of his age.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gnkrwey0 said:
sutz":gnkrwey0 said:

Talk to Raider fans about Janikoswki, and they'll tell you the same thing that's going on here...........it's not so much his stats, it's his apathetic demeanor that irritates you.

I've defended Seabass, he's made some big kicks this year. But you can tell he literally does not care, which can help a kicker having that move on who cares personality. But it also annoys fans when you whiff on a tackle and barely speak in pressers or interviews like a special needs child.

Can we tell if he cares or not?

I don't think we can know. The coaching staff and teammates would have better insight to that.

I *assume* he does care.

OK, so he's average - but he cannot be trusted when a game is on the line when he's kicking from 35-45 yards out.

Sure miss Haushka.

Blair Walsh could not trusted, and he had that sh*t grin.

You folks here know much more than I do.

Do you think there is another possible kicker available to be had for next year?

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2njz0c4s said:
Francois Steyn?

[youtube]muI0ULBSWmw[/youtube]

66 metres is 72 yards.

I’ve been saying this for years. We should recruit a Rugby kicking star. They can tackle too!

chris98251

Reaction score
Off a Tee no rush, that's just like a Kick off in the NFL, not a field goal.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/1079535513827045380[/tweet]

Janikowski’s game-winning FG over the Cardinals was the difference between a 10-6 season and a repeat of last year’s 9-7 season (after a missed FG by Blair Walsh against the Cardinals).