Week 3 Dallas at Seattle re-watched

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
A few observations after re-watching the week three game:

1. Brandon Marshall played a horrible game. Maybe the worst of his career. He killed three drives with 3rd down drops. On all three occasions, Doug Baldwin Basic makes the catch. Having Doug in over Marshall is a greater benefit to the Seahawks than the Cowboys adding Cooper over Hurns/Austin, in my opinion. Dallas did very little to stop this offense outside of Russell throwing to Marshall. Six targets, two completions for 30 yds with all four incomplete passes coming on manageable third downs.

2. The Seahawks front seven gave the Cowboy's offensive line fits. Elliott's final of 16 carries for 127 yds does not tell the story. He had totaled 78 yds rushing at the time the Seahawks went up 24-6 early in the 4th quarter. From that point on he had three carries for 49 yds and also lost a fumble. Before the game was in-hand the D had done an excellent job keeping him contained.

3. Earl Thomas is good.

4. The Dallas front seven was a chore all day. Carson did a great job getting what he could, which was often just two or three yards. Joey Hunt did a good job filling in for Britt. It will be interesting to see the impact of having Britt back in there. Things should open up just a bit more for Carson/Davis/Penny.

5. Mychal Kendricks played fast. He was not always in position though, including the play that Elliott would have scored on had he not inexplicably stepped out of bounds just before catching the pass. Having K.J. back in there next to Bobby is so nice.

6. Vannett had a nice game and was wide open on a few key plays. Having him and Dickson on the field may be quite a problem for the Cowboys.

7. Russell was able to pick apart their secondary pretty easily, with the exception of trying to get the ball to Marshall. He looked comfortable and was spot on target. He was able to move around the pocket fairly easily to buy time, which brings up a point. The Cowboys six losses were against Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Alex Smith, Marcus Mariota and Andrew Luck. All of them are very good at moving around the pocket and a threat to run for substantial yardage repeatedly if that part of their game is not accounted for. They beat Stafford, Manning twice, Ryan, Wentz, Bortles, Mccoy, Foles, Brees and Winston. A lot of concrete cleats on that list.

If week three is an indicator, I don't see what Dallas can do to make up the differences that were apparent in that game. Amari Cooper is an upgrade, but he is not a game changer of that magnitude. Being able to line up Baldwin, Britt, Ed Dickson and KJ Wright more than compensate overall for not having Earl in there. And one other player that was not on the active roster that may have an impact is Poonah Ford.

If the Seahawks just play their game we will see them in the divisional round. Hopefully in L.A.!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Some of these things we'll see again, but rarely do games go the same when teams outside the division play each other twice........especially when the first game was so much earlier in the season.

Different players, different offensive and defensive scheme/playcalling.

But yes, our front seven is going to have to contain Zeek and get to Prescott more then the Cowboy's front seven contains Carson and gets to Russell.

IMO this is the key of this game. We gotta get Carson loose and get to Prescott like we did the first game. If they shut down our run game and Lawrence and company can pin their ears back on 2nd and 3rd and long? Not gonna be a good outcome.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Feels like it's gonna' be an old school snot knocker with a LOT of running the ball, eating up the clock etc.
Keep it close in the 4th and I really like our chances.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Was Jalen Smith starting for the Cowboys then? If not, the 3 upgrades they have from that game are him, LVE, and Cooper. If he did play, they have 2 upgrades. Hawks have Baldwin, Wright, and Britt but are down in the back end without Thomas.

I remember Zeke ripping off some big runs in the 4th quarter of that game. I had totally forgotten about the play where he stepped out of bounds negating that long pass.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Thanks very nice recap, I had forgotten about Marshall that day. Now that I remember it, it felt like Russell was being asked to almost force balls to Marshall to see if he was worth keeping around. Again, thanks for the recap.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":214aacbo said:
I remember Zeke ripping off some big runs in the 4th quarter of that game. I had totally forgotten about the play where he stepped out of bounds negating that long pass.

Yes he had over 100 yards, but we had him contained nicely until those two 4th quarter long runs.

More of the same please.

Erebus

Reaction score
SoCalSeahawk":35uz92hf said:
2. The Seahawks front seven gave the Cowboy's offensive line fits. Elliott's final of 16 carries for 127 yds does not tell the story. He had totaled 78 yds rushing at the time the Seahawks went up 24-6 early in the 4th quarter. From that point on he had three carries for 49 yds and also lost a fumble. Before the game was in-hand the D had done an excellent job keeping him contained.

78 yards on 13 carries is 6 yards per carry. That is not "contained" at all. If he does that to us again we probably lose.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Erebus":fi5ineod said:
SoCalSeahawk":fi5ineod said:

78 yards on 13 carries is 6 yards per carry. That is not "contained" at all. If he does that to us again we probably lose.

That's why I said "contained until those two long 4th quarter runs."

OP
OP
SoCalSeahawk

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":vlnz4wpp said:
Was Jalen Smith starting for the Cowboys then? If not, the 3 upgrades they have from that game are him, LVE, and Cooper. If he did play, they have 2 upgrades. Hawks have Baldwin, Wright, and Britt but are down in the back end without Thomas.

Jaylen Smith played 87% of the defensive snaps and LVE played 48%. LVE was all over the place. He replaced Sean Lee who left the game in the late second or early third quarter.

Erebus

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":25yb32uj said:
Erebus":25yb32uj said:
SoCalSeahawk":25yb32uj said:

That's why I said "contained until those two long 4th quarter runs."

No. 78 yards on 13 carries was before the two long 4th quarter runs. He totaled 127 yards on 16 carries when you account for those two runs.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He had 2 long runs to go along w/an average game. Hawks were the better team that day, period.
Dak was 19-34 for 168, 1 TD and 2 Picks, QBR of 57.8. :pukeface: :pukeface:

Meanwhile, Russ had a QBR of 117.1, 2 TD's and zero picks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Funny how Cowboys fans try to pull the old "so and so didn't play in the first game" and just ignore anyone who was missing for the Hawks.

OP
OP
SoCalSeahawk

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Erebus":1dfij01r said:
SoCalSeahawk":1dfij01r said:

On his first *14 carries he gained 3 yards or less 8 times (-1, 0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3). This includes the opening drive third-and-one when he was stuffed for -1. The other six carries went for 4, 5, 7, 11, 19 and 21 yds. The 11 yard run came on a 2nd and 20. He did have a 19 and 21 yard run on 1st and 10. They were nice runs, but he couldn't string anything together. He did not have a single drive with more than one run over 5 yds. In my opinion he was contained pretty well that day.

*My type-o on the initial post, it should have read 14 rushes for 78yds.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's a damn good player, and he'll likely get his. But as long as you keep him out of the end zone and limit the huge plays, I really like our chances if you're gonna' make Dak beat you. And IF Dak does, tip of the cap.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
On another note, hearing that Dak was sacked 56 times this year. That's crazy considering how good that O Line was just a year ago, one of the best w/out a doubt.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Yes Amari Cooper being there this time is huge. But just watching nfl network it seems like people are sleeping on Doug Baldwin being there this time too

j hawk

Reaction score
Also this time we have Ed Dixon and David Moore will be available (much improved). I like our chances :2thumbs: