Completely Conservative and Pointless Gameplan

falcongoggles

Reaction score
What was the point of today's gameplan? Seriously, sit on your nuts and watch the other team eat you slowly like an anaconda? At some point you have to adjust or let it rip. You won 10 games by running smash mouth. When you got smashed in the mouth at the LOS, you have to adjust. They did not...ballgame/season.

mrt144

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1a28yaxx said:
What was the point of today's gameplan? Seriously, sit on your nuts and watch the other team eat you slowly like an anaconda? At some point you have to adjust or let it rip. You won 10 games by running smash mouth. When you got smashed in the mouth at the LOS, you have to adjust. They did not...ballgame/season.

Its good to be good at running and to rely on it but...relying on it does come at the expense of cogency and competency with our passing game.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
When Seattle needed to score quickly - they did, against a prevent defense...so maybe we should have done that, eh?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Cowboys watched us last week vs the worst team in football and did the same. The offense is so predictable and Shitty has Wilson playing with one hand tied to his balls. Here I thought we had a top 5 qb to turn loose??

bighawk

Reaction score
The gameplan stank completely this game is on Pete and Brian what a time to be conservative :?: i love my boys but wooooooow.

kf3339

Reaction score
I do understand trying to establish the run for the 1st half. But at halftime the game plan should have been abandoned for a pass first to set up the run. Let RW be the guy. He is getting the money and should have trusted him to bring a win home today. Just a boring plan all game long.

The defense did their part.

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
Could not believe how vanilla the game plan was. No imagination, nothing new. I understand wanting to establish the running game but when it was not going to happen, needed to open things up a bit. Do we have any WRs other than Lockett and Baldwin? Really disappointing to lose like that.

John63

Reaction score
Cyrus12":33ru8vss said:
Cowboys watched us last week vs the worst team in football and did the same. The offense is so predictable and Shitty has Wilson playing with one hand tied to his balls. Here I thought we had a top 5 qb to turn loose??

We do, but the HC and OC need to let him do it, tonight they did not.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I felt like they got lazy; looked at our first game against them where we just ran the ball down their throats,and decided that would work again without looking at the development of Dullass over the rest of the season.

Couple that with failure to adjust when it was obvious they were all about stopping our running game and you get the crap show we saw here today.

Ohh well, we made it farther than most expected. Need a couple more O lineman and a CB.

Go Hawks!!!

James in PA

Reaction score
They stuck with the run TOO long. I get it, we’re a running team and most teams in the NFL abandon the run too soon. It’s a fine line. But they were a bit too stubborn to admit that it wasn’t going to be their night. Shoulda put the game on Russ’s shoulders sooner. DAMNIT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Dallas has a really good defense. That’s really what it comes down to.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The refusal to open up the playbook and give Wilson a chance to sling it around was both disappointing and completely stupid.

The Cowboys have a good defense, yes. But let Wilson have an opportunity to shine,
It's great that they had no turnovers, but at what cost?

Really frustrated with the offensive gameplan, and even more angry that they were too bull headed and stubborn to adjust at halftime.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I believe in our identity. But by mid-3rd quarter, we needed to switch gears. Keep them honest with play action sure, but use the running THREAT to leverage the pass. It was honestly infuriating

Also infuriating? Sometimes players have bad games, running backs included. So why the **** did we not switch to Penny earlier? Completely bizarre. They clearly game planned for Carson, and it worked. Switch things up, Schotty choked. It’s like he was afraid to lose, no balls whatsoever

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2v4vwaqb said:
Also infuriating? Sometimes players have bad games, running backs included. So why the **** did we not switch to Penny earlier? Completely bizarre. They clearly game planned for Carson, and it worked. Switch things up, Schotty choked. It’s like he was afraid to lose, no balls whatsoever

:ditto: Penny was a bright spot given the few carries he had, outside the toss play that got blown up.

Penny and Davis should've got a few more touches like all season. The rotation was successful. To make Carson the bell cow out of the blue in the playoffs just didn't make any sense

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete was an idiot for firing Kris Richard. That is the first thing.

But the offense was exactly the garbage I expected all year when they hired Schotty.

However, he produced all year until the 1st playoff game when he failed to understand that if you did not score 30 in this game (or ANY game with this defense) you are going to lose. And yet, here we were committing to a stupid and ineffective run game that clearly was not workking.

Notably, when they did that stupid dump off on something like 3rd and 17 (it was in the first half), I knew they were losing this game.

Not that Russell Wilson has a great record in the playoffs ever since he lost Lynch anyway, but a lot of that was because his team was missing so many pieces. Now, with a decent line and something of a run game - it made sense to bet on your best horse.

But no, we kept running the ball even though Carson was not finding holes, even though our kicker was down and so a low scoring game was stupid, we still insisted on trying to grind our offense forward. When our best weapon just sat there as a decoy.

And when I saw Mike Davis running, even though it worked, it was another sign we were screwed. Mike Davis is going to get you 4-6 yards maybe. We knew we had a middling defense and still insisted in keeping the game close.

The number of 3 and outs courtesy of running into a brick wall was pretty indicative we were stuck.

But hey we looked good in the regular season. It wasn't until the playoffs that we looked like garbage...so I guess we are the NFL version of the Atlanta Hawks (back when they were 'good' every year until they flamed out in the playoffs).

bighawk

Reaction score
This game isn't on the defense they played well considering the offense stunk it up. We should of won this game if we threw the ball more. Come on Pete let Russell be the man.

mrt144

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1mtcn57q said:
I believe in our identity. But by mid-3rd quarter, we needed to switch gears. Keep them honest with play action sure, but use the running THREAT to leverage the pass. It was honestly infuriating

Play action isn't wholly or even majorly impacted by running success as shown time and again by Ben Baldwin. We have object lessons in this like last year's Houston game.

I think most troubling was that the run selection was a bunch of ineffectual inside runs with Chris Carson. Why have 3 RBs that all can do a few things differently if you are going to force the rock to the one who is struggling the most, and perhaps because he is the best suited back for inside runs?