Why do NFL teams stink at onside kicks?

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
Like seriously, the point of "needing to recover an onside kick" is generally the threshold for defeat in a football game, meaning that it is "game over" once you need it.

But HOW can they be so bad at it? It is not like the ball is dead when it hits the ground like a hail mary, someone needs to recover. So logically, kicking team should recover atleast 30% of onside kicks.

Yes i know rule changes etc etc but how can they be so TERRIBLE at something so extremly important in terms of winning the game? Like would it not make sense to practice onside kicks MORE than extra points?

I get that there is some difficulty with having it hit the ground first, but do you think players can actually TELL if you hit the ground? if you just chip it i doubt they would have the awarenesso fair catch it.

Seriously any idiot can make a football roll slowly 10 yards. So why dont they just kick a slow rolling ball so that there is a pileup?!? NOO we gotta hit this "ground bouncing so they cant fair catch then air ball that will land exactly at that spot near the sidelines.."

Is this the biggest mystery of football? When i played football it was like a 40% recovery rate when we practiced it. I think it was atleast 30% in games. So how is it that a bunch of swedish truckdrivers can execute dangerous onside kicks, but professional teams cant???? :les: :les: :les: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

Also that stupid chip tactic, it provides a huge chance of the ball going out of bounds / too far for an easy catch. Just practise striking a slow rolling knuckleball and create a pileup!!!! recovery team will atleast have to run and get it.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Clearly, you have never played a down of football.

poly1274

Reaction score
They should remove some people’s privilege to make new topics or post a reply

knownone

Reaction score
New rule changes make it significantly harder to get.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would almost rather see the line drive kick at some one, they won't catch it and it will fumble rooskie or ricochet off and be able to scramble for it.

schkoot

Reaction score
I wish the old rules for onside kicks came back. Like everyone stacked on one side of the field and you got a running start. I am actually surprised the league has made them harder vs easier, as it makes the games a lot more exciting at the end.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
All I know is whatever Dickson did was, um, not the proper technique.

OP
OP
S

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
Hahaha Wow what a drunken sleepdeprived mess of an OP i made xD Apologies!

I guess the main point in that rambling is that the jump ball made more sense when they could run a head start, and that they should focus on perfecting the ground bounce kick.

Is it legal to put the ball on its side and just roll it slowly with your foot?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The rules changes have taken away any reasonable likelihood of any successful onside kick.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Last year, the kicking team recovered 23% of onside kickoffs. This year it fell to 8% because of the new rules. Onside kickoffs were never a good bet, but now it's more like winning the lottery.

Hopefully the NFL can amend this rule, perhaps allowing the kicking team to get a running start if the kickoff goes 20 yards or less. Clearly, this rule has ruined many exciting finishes this year.

sdog1981

Reaction score
knownone":1wb0obco said:

This is the answer. The new rules have made it close to 99% failure rate.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
knownone":2sebxyp5 said:
I agree to an extent. They never should have messed with the onside kick rule. Not only did it add an element of surprise in that teams could use it whenever they pleased, but the success rate was already pretty low.

Now, there is no element of surprise. You can't catch a team off guard (I.E. Saints in in the 2010 SB). And the way it is setup now, the success rate is something like under 10%.

There is probably no changing it though. I think it is something kickers/punters should practice their tails off for. If it's going to be this hard to convert, it needs to be a point of emphasis on their practice regimen.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Honestly, what did you expect with a punter from Australia making the kick? I mean. c'mon. The Seahawks made a ball game out of it. The Texans stunk today. We didn't. We competed.

Anyone living in the 90s would love this brand of Seahawks football. We have been in the tournament for most of Pete's time here. He took a 7-9 team and beat the defending champs in the wildcard round. Pete took a 13-3 team and won the Owl. Since the Owl, we have been to another Owl and won two more playoff games after that.

We were down a kicker last night. We had to use the punter for backup. Pete gets pass on this one.

At least we got in the tournament and competed in their house. Go Seahawks!

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
The rules committee needs to revisit this in the offseason and should at least go back to the way it was last season.

21% success previously was apparently too much for the NFL?? Down to 7% this year with the failed attempt yesterday. Is this really what the league wants-no chance at all for the kicking team?

A realistic chance to recover makes games a lot more exciting at the end.

kidhawk

Reaction score
They need to readjust the kickoff rules this offseason so when a team plans an onside kick they go back to the old rules. The new rules were designed to lessen the amount of injuries on kickoff returns but they’ve totally ruined the excitement of the onside kick.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
Need to improve the odds. Abandon the onside and instead kick hard and fast line-drives into the opponents front line hoping for a bounce-off or drop.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cause it's very hard to make an oblong ball bounce up in the air in a 10 yard window with 5-6 dudes with tremendous hands waiting for it.

Latest posts