The Seahawks Just Ran Themselves Out of the Playoffs

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Some good takes

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1/6/18168786/seattle-seahawks-dallas-cowboys-wild-card-round

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1/6/18168787/exit-interview-seattle-seahawks

New offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was met with skepticism when he was hired in the offseason. Before this season, Schottenheimer had been an OC in nine seasons with the Jets and Rams, and his teams had never once ranked in the top-10 in the league in yardage. Yet through most of this season, the Seattle offense succeeded, so any criticism of Schottenheimer was muffled. But after his fanatical commitment to the running game, Schottenheimer will find few defenders among Seahawks fans—this team isn’t quarterbacked by Mark Sanchez; it has Russell Wilson. Schottenheimer failed to utilize the team’s best player until it was too late, and now Seattle is heading home.

Per Over the Cap, the Seahawks are projected to have $54.7 million in effective cap space, which is the ninth-highest figure in the league. But they also have plenty of their own players to take care off, especially on defense. The Legion of Boom era just ended, and the Seahawks may already need to retool their defense yet again.

Russell Wilson on passes that traveled at least 15 yards downfield against DAL:

7 attempts, 5 completions, 23.7 yards/attempt, 1.34 EPA/attempt

Unlike Baltimore, Seattle did not run in a unique style that changes the fundamental math of football and hides a raw quarterback, like when the Ravens have Lamar Jackson run a read-option. Instead, they had an MVP-caliber quarterback who was their leading rusher in 2017, and forced him to hand off more than any other quarterback. Against the Chiefs, Wilson proved he could hang with even the best passing offenses in the league. Just two weeks later, his coaches didn’t even want him to try. Either those coaches need to change the team’s strategy next year, or the team needs to consider changing the coaches.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't like Schotty.

He is garbage.

But Solari looks solid. I was wrong about him.

knownone

Reaction score
I’m failing to see why we’d have to retool the defense again. Unless we give Frank Clark Aaron Donald money this offseason there is literally no reason to assume we can’t keep this group together for the foreseeable future.

justafan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":15ufbzmt said:
I don't like Schotty.

He is garbage.

Solari is an average Oline coach.Average looks great after Cable.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
justafan":1js9r7yo said:
TwistedHusky":1js9r7yo said:
I don't like Schotty.

He is garbage.

Solari is an average Oline coach.Average looks great after Cable.

Average is about right, but I'd add that Solari did the best he could with what he had to work with. We are far from loaded on the O-line, but they did play better than last year.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Solari deserves all the credit for retooling this running game. Schotty proved why he can’t play with the big dogs last night. Was like watching the jets once again lose to the Pats because his desire to run the ball 60 times fails. Oh well, hugs and high fives.