When are we going to start trusting our QB?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Pete Carroll, Pete Carroll, when are you going to trust your Quarterback? This is a reoccurring theme under the Carroll regime. I don't think this is the fault of Russell Wilson, this falls on our head coach. This game was not only a monumental game planning disaster, but it also showcased the lack of trust Carroll has in his QBs. I have no doubt that if we had Peyton Manning in his prime we'd get this same kind of offense.

I understand, Pete Carroll's main goal is to keep turnovers down, and passing usually holds a bigger potential for turnovers. Unfortunately constant three and outs can have a similar effect to turning the ball over in some instances. The offense itself is designed to limit what the QB can and can't do. We're missing timing routes, and passes such as slants. It seems as if the playbook was created for the sole purpose of limiting turnovers. We don't use huge swaths of the field in our offense, and most of the routes concepts are overly simplistic. Many of the bread and butter plays that most offenses utilize are missing from our offense.

What Pete needs to understand is that the passing game, and running game complement each other. A passing game that stretches defenses horizontally (something our offense doesn't do) as well as vertically open up the running game. Holmgren used to do this with Matt Hasselbeck. He would stretch defenses out horizontally, and then switch it up with at least one long pass per quarter. When defenses hard committed to the pass he would then send in Alexander to gash the defense. When they started to key in on the run, he would then call in Hasselbeck to open up the run game again. The run game and passing game play off of each other.

What we saw today was a demonstration of a lack of knowledge on the offensive side of the ball. Lining up, and broadcasting what you're going to do doesn't work against top tier defenses. It isn't like the defense. Carroll needs to start trust his Quarterback to make plays, and to run a conventional NFL offense. I'm not talking about passing 500 times a year either. I'm more speaking about concepts. NFL defenses strive to make the opposing offense one dimensional, we're taking away that responsibility from the defense, because our one sided nature is self-imposed. Just like an offense that relies on the pass too much, a team that does nothing but run also has similar downsides.

I just hope that next year Pete Carroll realizes that there needs to be a balance, a yin to the yang.

getnasty

Reaction score
I don't think it's lack of trust in Russell as much of its just being stubborn. Pete has a way he wants to play and I like that he is committed to that but there are defintly times where you are gonna go up against teams that are gonna take that style away and you need to adjust.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":265fz2an said:
Pete Carroll, Pete Carroll, when are you going to trust your Quarterback? This is a reoccurring theme under the Carroll regime. I don't think this is the fault of Russell Wilson, this falls on our head coach. This game was not only a monumental game planning disaster, but it also showcased the lack of trust Carroll has in his QBs. I have no doubt that if we had Peyton Manning in his prime we'd get this same kind of offense.

I understand, Pete Carroll's main goal is to keep turnovers down, and passing usually holds a bigger potential for turnovers. Unfortunately constant three and outs can have a similar effect to turning the ball over in some instances. The offense itself is designed to limit what the QB can and can't do. We're missing timing routes, and passes such as slants. It seems as if the playbook was created for the sole purpose of limiting turnovers. We don't use huge swaths of the field in our offense, and most of the routes concepts are overly simplistic. Many of the bread and butter plays that most offenses utilize are missing from our offense.

What Pete needs to understand is that the passing game, and running game complement each other. A passing game that stretches defenses horizontally (something our offense doesn't do) as well as vertically open up the running game. Holmgren used to do this with Matt Hasselbeck. He would stretch defenses out horizontally, and then switch it up with at least one long pass per quarter. When defenses hard committed to the pass he would then send in Alexander to gash the defense. When they started to key in on the run, he would then call in Hasselbeck to open up the run game again. The run game and passing game play off of each other.

What we saw today was a demonstration of a lack of knowledge on the offensive side of the ball. Lining up, and broadcasting what you're going to do doesn't work against top tier defenses. It isn't like the defense. Carroll needs to start trust his Quarterback to make plays, and to run a conventional NFL offense. I'm not talking about passing 500 times a year either. I'm more speaking about concepts. NFL defenses strive to make the opposing offense one dimensional, we're taking away that responsibility from the defense, because our one sided nature is self-imposed. Just like an offense that relies on the pass too much, a team that does nothing but run also has similar downsides.

I just hope that next year Pete Carroll realizes that there needs to be a balance, a yin to the yang.
Great topic and one that needs to be asked of the coach. Sadly he’ll spin his way out
Of the question.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I severely doubt it’s a lack of knowledge that they don’t have in their combined years of football, but that can be found on this forum—lol. What I witnessed yesterday was a refusal to alter course. Even Pete was convinced that it was gonna work when Russ ran in the score and we took the lead. He wants it to work his way so bad that he can’t conceive an alternative. Frustrating...

mistaowen

Reaction score
2/13 on third constantly putting him in challenging situations. Offensive game plan was garbage to begin with and did not adjust. At least bevell would go into half time after realizing his brilliant script failed and adjust.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
A year ago they threw too much
This year not enough.

Need an oc thst can coach balance. Maybe an offseason helps schotty.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
From the opening drives of the game, they just seemed very rigid.

They weren't as loose and flexible, playing on the fly like they normally do.

Also, I didn't see adjustments after the run game by Carson was shut down.

Fade

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":20ysu3jn said:

This is the main problem going forward.

Pete knows this, but doesn't care, doing it his way is more important than everything else, and the more casual fans will not understand what you're talking about. They will just call you entitled which is sad.

I have no doubt in my mind if they got a big time OC, and Pete got out of his way and just focused on the defense they would win multiple Superbowls.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":37zjhoc9 said:
Spin Doctor":37zjhoc9 said:

This is the main problem going forward.

Pete knows this, but doesn't care, doing it his way is more important than everything else, and the more casual fans will not understand what you're talking about. They will just call you entitled which is sad.

I have no doubt in my mind if they got a big time OC, and Pete got out of his way and just focused on the defense they would win multiple Superbowls.
So much this.

Jville

Reaction score
This thread is hysterical.

It's like sitting in the cheap seats out in right field. LOL

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Last night Aikman pointed out that while Russell had the fewest passing attempts of any starting QB this season the more surprising statistic was that he also had his personal all time low for number of caries. Last season he was forced to shoulder the entirety of the offense. Maybe this season was a rest. Hopefully next season we will get the best of both?

mrt144

Reaction score
getnasty":2zesiadz said:
I don't think it's lack of trust in Russell as much of its just being stubborn. Pete has a way he wants to play and I like that he is committed to that but there are defintly times where you are gonna go up against teams that are gonna take that style away and you need to adjust.

I think some people who are very successful find more mirth in winning their way, how they want to, than just simply winning.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Everyone wanted Di Filipo and he was a failure in Minnesota.

Who is this big time oc that will push PC to the defensive side of the ball?

mikeak

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ggnq0v3 said:
This year not enough.

Need an OC that will adjust and analyze the opponent

We gameplanned to hit them where they were strongest.

We kept hitting them where they were strongest after seeing that it didn't work.

That is what is crazy

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
mikeak":1rphbkvs said:
Uncle Si":1rphbkvs said:
This year not enough.

Need an OC that will adjust and analyze the opponent

We gameplanned to hit them where they were strongest.

We kept hitting them where they were strongest after seeing that it didn't work.

That is what is crazy

And Pete actually said the reason it didn’t work is because we didn’t convert third downs (which is made far more difficult by running poorly twice). He actually thought the same runs could become effective at any point in the game. That is indeed, crazy.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Maybe Carroll didn't want to seem like he was going to deny the OC of making his own "calls" and "gameplan," more or less, be somewhat of a "micro manager."

At the end of the day, whoever thought let's run and run and run some more, clearly did not want to adjust and failed with this game plan.

Carroll, is 0-2 against former coaches in playoffs (Quinn and Richard).

nwHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3evjhcle said:

We lost, but we weren't blown out. Going into this game we had suffered injuries that raised flags about who would even play. Not sure if that affected anything or not.

Russ played very good. Cool and collected, but asking him to play like that the whole game has other strings attached. Is Baldwin healthy enough to get through it? After Baldwin and Lockett, do you really trust our wide receivers? David Moore still doesn't run "crisp" routes. Brown was brought here to block. Russ`s handcuffing is probably due to not having another crafty WR.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
nwHawk":l196cr45 said:
Spin Doctor":l196cr45 said:

We lost, but we weren't blown out. Going into this game we had suffered injuries that raised flags about who would even play. Not sure if that affected anything or not.

Russ played very good. Cool and collected, but asking him to play like that the whole game has other strings attached. Is Baldwin healthy enough to get through it? After Baldwin and Lockett, do you really trust our wide receivers? David Moore still doesn't run "crisp" routes. Brown was brought here to block. Russ`s handcuffing is probably due to not having another crafty WR.
This is the crux of the problem. Pete Carroll did not trust his QB to go out and make plays for him. Russ has been handcuffed here ever since he came in 2012, it's just the Pete style of offense. Its sole purpose is to limit turnovers, which is fine but at some point you have to trust that your QB can have more autonomy, and handle greater responsibility. I am not talking about just pass run ratio either. He doesn't seem to have many options while audibling, and we certainly don't run many types of route concepts that are found in just about every other NFL team.

Yesterday Russell Wilson actually had one of this better days. He made big throws, even though he was put into impossible situations. Furthermore we were running an offense that depended on two injured guards stepping up. We were playing right into their strengths, and forcing our team to be one dimensional by our own volition. Most of our losses this year came because of our offense crapping the bed, and flat out refusing to adjust. This offense is a boat anchor. and a liability.

John63

Reaction score
getnasty":8pcdisx5 said:

I agree, he does open it up when he has to. So it is not a lack of trust it is being hard headed. At USC he won a Championship with it, 1 and then not so much. Now the same thing here. I don't believe we will win another SB unless he opens things up some. This system makes the margin for error to small.

John63

Reaction score
mistaowen":1ohw3nmq said:
2/13 on third constantly putting him in challenging situations. Offensive game plan was garbage to begin with and did not adjust. At least bevell would go into half time after realizing his brilliant script failed and adjust.

Guess what 10 of the other 11 were? 3rd and long, and the one that was not, we ran on.

Latest posts