The Good News for 2019-20: LOB 2.0

A-Dog

Reaction score
One of the best things about 2018 was the re-tooling of the LOB with younger, cheaper players. The secondary took its lumps this year and collectively needs to get better, but the experience should pay off big time over the next two seasons. With the exception of Justin Coleman, the Seahawks have all of their key players in the secondary locked up for at least the next two seasons at a very low cost.

Injuries were a big factor in the secondary this year but with everyone healthy, and if Coleman can be re-signed, this should be a group on the rise with a strong veteran leader (McDougald), plenty of size and athleticism, and a lot of hunger. There is also a two year window before any of these guys are set to get paid big money. Remember it wasn't until their 3rd season together that Kam, Earl, and Sherm were playing together at a top level, and Kam and Sherm didn't start right away.

In his prime, signed through 2020:
Bradley McDougald

Young and cheap:
Tre Flowers
Shaquill Griffin
Tedric Thompson
Delano Hill

ERFA:
Akeem King
Shalom Luani

Unrestricted Free Agent
Justin Coleman

davidonmi

Reaction score
I liked what I saw from flowers.
The secondary still needs to be overhauled. Thompson and Griffin aren't good players. Not good tacklers.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
davidonmi":1qaf38x1 said:
The secondary still needs to be overhauled. Thompson and Griffin aren't good players. Not good tacklers.

This.

You have maybe three keepers in the secondary. The rest of these guys are okay. King played well against Kelce in a sub package but he got burned by Larry last week and failed to contain Zeke for that key first Dallas TD

Back in the day we had guys like Maxwell on the bench. Ron Parker who starts for the Chiefs right now couldnt even make the team!

We need to upgrade the secondary. Shaq is a slot corner at best, Thompson is a decent but not a ball hawking free safety like our system needs. He is better than Terrell but thats not saying much.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I suspect moving Flowers to CB1 would again have everyone calling for his head. Flowers got a lot of help this year leaving Griffin on an island.

I'm not worried about the Griffin brothers. I think they've faced adversity before and worked through it. I think they will realize that this year was not up to par for either and it's time to toss the off the field distractions aside and re-focus. I think it's in their wheelhouse to do that.

I'm not sold on Thompson. Seems invisible most of the time. But again, young player that may be thinking too much. I'd give him another year before laying judgement.

I think like most draft picks. No one is a bust until they absolutely fail in year 3. Unless they've been terrible for 2 years. None of these guys is terrible.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
The D is pretty good except for the secondary. Need Hill back and a #1 corner and a better safety.

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
davidonmi":9tflb82v said:

Injuries and inexperience. Give them a chance - none of the LOB were all-pros their first years as starters.

rcaido

Reaction score
Griffin sucked this season, maybe switch him back to the right side. He was great his rookie season.

We really need Earl Thomas, i hope we can resign him.

getnasty

Reaction score
I wonder if they'll give Earl an offer? I like the two corners, love McDougal, need to resign Coleman, and draft a Earl replacement if he's not back.

chris98251

Reaction score
getnasty":158oftlt said:
I wonder if they'll give Earl an offer? I like the two corners, love McDougal, need to resign Coleman, and draft a Earl replacement if he's not back.

Not one safety can match his speed in this draft, so forget that option, better to get a big thumper SS and move McDougald to FS, or better yet move Shaq 2.0 from LB back to Safety with Kendricks here and I do think we sign him and his prison sentence will be short.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Cheap does not mean good.

They aren't even as good as the LOB when they were a mash unit after the GB playoff game.

They are not LOB. AT ALL.

Maybe Legion of Whatever as an average to slightly above average secondary. But comparing them to HOF players is ridiculous.

They are cheap. They are serviceable. But you won't be able to expect them to hold teams down. They will give up scores because you get what you pay for.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
A-Dog":tpy9nmd9 said:
davidonmi":tpy9nmd9 said:

Injuries and inexperience. Give them a chance - none of the LOB were all-pros their first years as starters.

False narrative.

McDougald, Griffin, Coleman played all 16
Thompson missed 2, Flowers missed 1

Our secondary was very healthy.

I give Flowers a pass as a rookie and Thompson is a backup but Griffin regressed big time and will be out of the league soon if he doesn't improve this year.

Its not that Griffin had a bad year, its that his technique is awful. He doesn't look for the ball and draws a lot of flags.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
rcaido":tuq4fi4x said:
Griffin sucked this season, maybe switch him back to the right side. He was great his rookie season.

We really need Earl Thomas, i hope we can resign him.
We need to move on from Earl. He hasn't been able to stay healthy, and he was a distraction.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I have hopes that Griffin will improve, but this year, and especially in the wild card game when he gave up the TD, he definitely made me miss Sherman.

Latest posts