What exactly what Dickson trying to do on the on side kick?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I understand it's low percentage any way and all that but I was wondering lost in all this was an explanation ever given to what exactly Mikey was attempting to do on the onside kick attempt??

Was he trying to do a traditional onside kick and just failed miserably? Was he maybe trying to do something different with a crazy amount of spin or something and failed?

Honestly I know I it's a pipedream to expect it (maybe) but I heard before the year Dickson knew how to do all these kinds of different style kicks with different spin so I was kind of expecting something exciting and then.. just a weak thud to end the game.

getnasty

Reaction score
Had to be trying to drop it in front of Beasly and just kick it to far. Really no other explanation for it.

OP
OP
therealjohncarlson

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Yeah I mean that must be what happened.. still don’t get why that was the best thing to attempt

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
He got too much of the ball.

What I would like to see is a kicker kick a hard low line drive at one of the front line guys have the ball bounce back at the kicking team and then recover the kick.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
What was crazy was he just tapped the thing and the damn ball just took off like a rocket.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Goodell ruined onside kicks anyway they are like impossible to recover now.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think drilling the ball directly at another player and having it bounce would be better, chances are it bounces back towards your team or up in the air and it would be more a free for all. The way it is now with how I have seen things the odds are tipped heavily in the return teams favor.

That and they may change the rules after a few players get a ball kicked in their face and the fumble pile creates more mayhem then the old return and onside kick.

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
It seems to me that the onside kick has to main tactics:

1. some kind of low bouncing / hard kick straight at the front line. Upside is that it is hard to catch, but downside is that it is also hard to consistently perfect, since randomness is like the point of it. Meaning it is very hard to fine tune it.

2. Kicking the "strike the ground and then up" onside that goes high (like Chris matthews miracle). The downside to this is that kicking it hard into the ground first makes the hangtime limited to the bounce up from kicking it into the ground.

HOWEVER on the drop kick, i assume the fair catch is taken out by the ball hitting the ground before you kick it. So it should be much easier to hit a drop kick very soft and high compared to the conventional kick. So actually the drop kick tactic MIGHT be the smartest tactic, assuming you perfect kicking really high hanging soft dropkicks. But he misshit it BADLY so..

Conclusion: Best recovery chance is probably the low drive knuckler, but then you are still relying alot on chance. Perfecting a drop kick tactic as much as you can might be the best strategy assuming you chip it soft and high