If last night was Pet-ball

sdog1981

Reaction score
Then why the hell would you ever pay a QB 30 million per year, in a salary capped league?

Pete-ball will be around until 2021 as of today.

Fade

Reaction score
sdog1981":2felonqb said:
Then why the hell would you ever pay a QB 30 million per year, in a salary capped league?

Because without Russell Wilson this year they are competing for the #1 pick in the draft.

I would rather be a playoff team than the worst team in football.

Pete needs to make some minor tweaks to his philosophy, and things will get much better.

The tweaks are utilize playaction vs run to a 50/50 split on 1st downs. This of course makes you less predicable and more effective on 1st down. Throw more on 2nd and long to get to 3rd and manageable and stop giving up on those possessions. Putting the QB in 3rd and long consistently is just bad coaching, and anti what you're trying to accomplish as an offense.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Fade":2l5oisq8 said:
sdog1981":2l5oisq8 said:

Because without Russell Wilson this year they are competing for the #1 pick in the draft.

Pete needs to make some minor tweaks to his philosophy, and things will get much better.

The tweaks are utilize playaction vs run to a 50/50 split on 1st downs. This of course makes you less predicable and more effective on 1st down. Throw more on 2nd and long to get to 3rd and manageable and stop giving up on those possessions. Putting the QB in 3rd and long consistently is just bad coaching, and anti what you're trying to accomplish as an offense.

The drive they put together to get their first down and that led to the first field goal had a lot of that. It was a good drive. I saw some efforts to try those plays again but Dallas went with the runners.

John63

Reaction score
Fade":3vzdhuzb said:
sdog1981":3vzdhuzb said:

I can see both sides here. The reality is you really don't need to pay 30+ for a top tier elite Qb to run the offense PC wants. On the other hand, the offense he wants will not work without one. What was strange to me is the first scoring drive we had we stated pass first and mixed it up till we got close and then went back to run, run, 3rd and long, It was kind like opposite day, hey it worked so let's stop doing it, run, run pass was not working so let's keep doing it.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
Peteball can be played with Ryan Tinnihill.

This is a capped league. Either you find an old elite QB making 15 million per or you take your chances with a Dak type on a rookie deal.

If Pete traded Wilson to the Giants for Sequan, along with a first and second rounder this team would still be 11-5 10-6.

It is based on the math of salary cap and deminiahing returns. Don’t pay a QB 30 million if he is going to throw the ball less than 25 times a game. You can win in the NFL running the ball, just use the strategic advantage of low pass attempts to save money at the QB position.

knownone

Reaction score
It's not Pete's philosophy that is the problem. It's the lack of a contingency plan when the philosophy isn't working, that is the problem. They need to do a better job of planning for teams that can potentially shut down our running game. As good as our running game was for 12 of 17 games this season when teams found a way to stop it our offense completely fell apart. The Seahawks are like a boxer with one great punch, neutralize it, and they suddenly turn into a boxer who's just trying to stay alive long enough to hopefully land one of em.

Pete, Schotty, and Russell's objective this offseason should be to find a way to build our offense so that when we need Russ to take over he can. If they don't feel like we have the personnel in place to do that then they need to do whatever it takes to get those guys on this team. Pete's proven he can take an average defense and make them good. He should use that to his advantage by investing more in his offense and relying on his strength at developing defensive players to offset the loss in spending on defense.

John63

Reaction score
sdog1981":ossd1i8y said:

This is a capped league. Either you find an old elite QB making 15 million per or you take your chances with a Dak type on a rookie deal.

If Pete traded Wilson to the Giants for Sequan, along with a first and second rounder this team would still be 11-5 10-6.

It is based on the math of salary cap and deminiahing returns. Don’t pay a QB 30 million if he is going to throw the ball less than 25 times a game. You can win in the NFL running the ball, just use the strategic advantage of low pass attempts to save money at the QB position.

Ahh so far off base it is funny. First, you are basically saying Wilson is worthless. So worthless we can get another RB, and a couple of picks that may or may not work out and still go 10-6. Which is not true at all? 2nd you cannot say Tannehill would work at all. First, he has already gotten hurt and so would have missed games Wilson has played every game. Next, he has never had Qb rating over 93, he has 80 TDs and 75 INT, He avg well under 2oo yards rushing a year, missed a whole year. So he is magically going to stay injury free behind our oline.

FYI do you pay a Qb 30mil if he is top 3 in TDs? Last I checked scoring is what wins not attempts I would say yes. You might be able to win in the NFL running the ball, but can you win a Championship without having a QB that can carry the team when needed? The answer is very rarely. Even the year we won the SB Wilson had to carry this team offensively at times. I think you are underestimating how important Wilson has been to this team.

The interesting part is in a way I agree with you. However, I do not believe you can put an avg QB with this team and go 11-5 or even 10-6.

John63

Reaction score
knownone":25lqyni2 said:
It's not Pete's philosophy that is the problem. It's the lack of a contingency plan when the philosophy isn't working, that is the problem. They need to do a better job of planning for teams that can potentially shut down our running game. As good as our running game was for 12 of 17 games this season when teams found a way to stop it our offense completely fell apart. The Seahawks are like a boxer with one great punch, neutralize it, and they suddenly turn into a boxer who's just trying to stay alive long enough to hopefully land one of em.

Pete, Schotty, and Russell's objective this offseason should be to find a way to build our offense so that when we need Russ to take over he can. If they don't feel like we have the personnel in place to do that then they need to do whatever it takes to get those guys on this team. Pete's proven he can take an average defense and make them good. He should use that to his advantage by investing more in his offense and relying on his strength at developing defensive players to offset the loss in spending on defense.

The issue is we already have that, see the Carolina game, they just refused to do it in this game till it was too late.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
sdog1981":xt25htk6 said:

Not quite as anti-Russ as you are but you make a valid point.

Here's another layer to add to the discussion.

We stop playing "Pete Ball".

Have to wonder how much better all around (including non-stat type stuff that is sometimes far more important) Wilson would be under a non-Pete scheme.

We have to be willing to raise that question.

Then again, Pete has put together a remarkable number of playoff appearances so he should be given some credit for that as well.

Did we win more because of Pete or in spite of him - and the same should be asked of Wilson.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see games with RW calling his own plays.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
John63":3282j12p said:
sdog1981":3282j12p said:

Ahh so far off base it is funny. First, you are basically saying Wilson is worthless. So worthless we can get another RB, and a couple of picks that may or may not work out and still go 10-6. Which is not true at all? 2nd you cannot say Tannehill would work at all. First, he has already gotten hurt and so would have missed games Wilson has played every game. Next, he has never had Qb rating over 93, he has 80 TDs and 75 INT, He avg well under 2oo yards rushing a year, missed a whole year. So he is magically going to stay injury free behind our oline.

FYI do you pay a Qb 30mil if he is top 3 in TDs? Last I checked scoring is what wins not attempts I would say yes. You might be able to win in the NFL running the ball, but can you win a Championship without having a QB that can carry the team when needed? The answer is very rarely. Even the year we won the SB Wilson had to carry this team offensively at times. I think you are underestimating how important Wilson has been to this team.

The interesting part is in a way I agree with you. However, I do not believe you can put an avg QB with this team and go 11-5 or even 10-6.

We are both on the same wavelength here. Yes, an injured QB cannot play for a team then that player has less value than a player that has never missed a start.

The main point with this Pete ball strategy would be the team would use the money saved at the QB position to get more returns at other positions pass rush et. Leading to a similar record. I was one of the people on this site that felt the team was closer to the 2011 team than it was to the 2012 team.

Last night was Wilsons 30 million moment but Pete froze. The funny part is if the defense stops Dak on 3rd and 14 they win the game 22-20/21-20 or go to OT tied at 20 and all of these arguments are moot.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
sprhawk73":3nuzv38k said:
It would be interesting to see games with RW calling his own plays.

Agreed.

That's one of Brady's greatest attributes and something that truly places him as possible GOAT QB. When he is at his best nobody has played the position better. NOBODY.

This was a fascinating interview with Coach Belichick regarding Brady's ability to change plays when needed based upon his football mind that is able to respond to a challenge in seconds, call his own plays, and come out on top more often than not...

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2017/ ... -mistakes/

“The biggest thing Tom does for us is to try to keep us out of those bad plays where we have 5 to 10 percent chance of really being successful, whether it’s a coverage or a blitz or an alignment that they give us, and he sees that what we’ve got called just isn’t what we want to be in,” Belichick said on SiriusXM in an interview Wednesday with Duke basketball coach Mike Kryzyzewski. “That wasn’t why we called the play, was to run it against that particular look. Then sometimes he’ll be able to get out of those and get us something that, like I said, gives us more of a fair fight.

“That’s a big job of the quarterback in our league is to not just manage the game in terms of getting the ball out of bounds and the clock and stuff like that, but also managing the game in terms of giving the offense the chance to run plays that are competitive because defenses can get in certain alignments and really make it tough on you. Tom does a great job of that.”

The above is where Brady, even at this advanced stage of his career, remains head and shoulders above WIlson and most every other QB in the league.

I'll take it one step further.

If Tom Brady were was the QB for Seattle against Dallas we would have won because he would have responded far more quickly to the defense and likely overcome it. I really wish Russ would take over like that as well but he just doesn't seem to be wired for that kind of alpha QB type of play. Not sure why. He has all the cred to do it - he just chooses not to.

I would love to see him sometimes look to the sideline and tell Pete, Schotty, etc., "This is on me. I'm doing it my way. Back off and let me do my thing."

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
semiahmoo":j2ehzupl said:
I would love to see him sometimes look to the sideline and tell Pete, Schotty, etc., "This is on me. I'm doing it my way. Back off and let me do my thing."

That was Rusess's 30 million moment too. He could have been like "That is stupid we are not doing that and you are not going to bench me. Now shut up and let me win this game"

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If I am Wilson's agent, I save this game as an example to Wilson that he might get some 4th quarter heroics but under Pete he is never going to win big games in the playoffs - because he is very rarely going to get the opportunity.

Wilson is probably a better QB than his record in the playoffs indicate.

But he is often put in difficult situations to get out of, or not given the chance in the first place.

Wilson with a team that used him as their lead horse, would probably go a lot farther.

The thing Pete forgets is that while that blueprint works during the regular season - you are facing bad opponents in at least half your game. The top teams in the playoffs cannot just be beaten by an 'out-athlete the other guy' strategy unless you are loaded with HOF players (like we were). But they can be beaten by a great QB that gets hot at the right time, this is why everyone was so worried about guys like Aaron Rodgers making the playoffs.

As they said, all you have to do is make the playoffs. But not if you won't use your QB.

Not using Wilson and running the ball repeatedly (with freaking Mike Davis?) in the 2nd half is the equivalent of trying to do a sacrifice bunt with Ken Griffey Jr. It might work, but it robs you of a hell of a lot of upside.

I still think Wilson does not extend, and reasons like this are why. He could go to a loaded team and carry them - to become a hero. But he is criminally underused here. Either the HC does not trust him, or the HC is old and tired clinging to an old and tired philosophy that won't work against the better defenses in the playoffs.

The narrative of that game after the game is that Pete failed Wilson by failing to use him. We will see if Wilson or his agent ends up bothered later because of it. I know if I knew the guy I would be telling him that his coaches let him down on this one. I imagine the people that know him now are saying the same thing as the media is saying right now.

Getting beat outright is one thing but we were ridiculously conservative with a freaking 4 point lead in a playoff game. We didn't even get a sense of urgency until it was far too late because we played that game as if we expected the defense not to give up scores. Average defenses get scored on, that is why you need to score points in all 4 quarters.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
The ground and pound game is devastating in the second half of NFL seasons because some teams have nothing to play for and they will quit. The Seahawks only beat one team this year that they played twice and that was the Cardinals. The formula of pounding them until they quit works but when the chips are down in the playoffs you need an elite QB to do elite things. The Eagles just beat the Bears and rushed for less than 50 yards.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
sdog1981":2c9vtt78 said:
The ground and pound game is devastating in the second half of NFL seasons because some tea
ms have nothing to play for and they will quit. The Seahawks only beat one team this year that they played twice and that was the Cardinals. The formula of pounding them until they quit works but when the chips are down in the playoffs you need an elite QB to do elite things. The Eagles just beat the Bears and rushed for less than 50 yards.

You talk about how you dont need a running game then wouldn't we want Wilson who is an elite QB

John63

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1vcvvdg7 said:
sdog1981":1vcvvdg7 said:
The ground and pound game is devastating in the second half of NFL seasons because some tea
ms have nothing to play for and they will quit. The Seahawks only beat one team this year that they played twice and that was the Cardinals. The formula of pounding them until they quit works but when the chips are down in the playoffs you need an elite QB to do elite things. The Eagles just beat the Bears and rushed for less than 50 yards.

You talk about how you dont need a running game then wouldn't we want Wilson who is an elite QB

Yes but it is not that you dont need a run game, it is you need to have balance, not be predictable and adjust. We did not adjust.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":27iy86br said:
If I am Wilson's agent, I save this game as an example to Wilson that he might get some 4th quarter heroics but under Pete he is never going to win big games in the playoffs - because he is very rarely going to get the opportunity.

But he is often put in difficult situations to get out of, or not given the chance in the first place.

Wilson with a team that used him as their lead horse, would probably go a lot farther.

The thing Pete forgets is that while that blueprint works during the regular season - you are facing bad opponents in at least half your game. The top teams in the playoffs cannot just be beaten by an 'out-athlete the other guy' strategy unless you are loaded with HOF players (like we were). But they can be beaten by a great QB that gets hot at the right time, this is why everyone was so worried about guys like Aaron Rodgers making the playoffs.

As they said, all you have to do is make the playoffs. But not if you won't use your QB.

Not using Wilson and running the ball repeatedly (with freaking Mike Davis?) in the 2nd half is the equivalent of trying to do a sacrifice bunt with Ken Griffey Jr. It might work, but it robs you of a hell of a lot of upside.

I still think Wilson does not extend, and reasons like this are why. He could go to a loaded team and carry them - to become a hero. But he is criminally underused here. Either the HC does not trust him, or the HC is old and tired clinging to an old and tired philosophy that won't work against the better defenses in the playoffs.

The narrative of that game after the game is that Pete failed Wilson by failing to use him. We will see if Wilson or his agent ends up bothered later because of it. I know if I knew the guy I would be telling him that his coaches let him down on this one. I imagine the people that know him now are saying the same thing as the media is saying right now.

Getting beat outright is one thing but we were ridiculously conservative with a freaking 4 point lead in a playoff game. We didn't even get a sense of urgency until it was far too late because we played that game as if we expected the defense not to give up scores. Average defenses get scored on, that is why you need to score points in all 4 quarters.

One of the best posts EVER on this little message board. So good it deserves some Seahawks Reddit attention where this kind of knowledge would be more fully appreciated.

Keep it up. This place needs the understanding of the game and the outside-the-game dynamics the post above represents.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1qxp73vh said:

Thats one narritive, another is one where they adapted the offense to his skill set, he still needs some pieces to exploit aspects like a big target. His height limits his quick throws on quick slants, they roll him out and allow hom to use his legs to make plays here, many others would not and in fact still frown on the mobile QB. You want numbers 5000 passing yards etc, thats not going to happen with Wilson regularly. Pete tries to use the skill sets of his players and puts them in a position of what the do best, Wilson is given that. Many Coaches want a player to adapt to what they want which may not be what that player does well.

Wilson is in a situation that works with his skill set, you may be able to send him to Oakland / Miami / Tampa Bay / Buffalo / Arizona / New York Jets and or Giants . Seems those teams have had a lot of QB turn over and or have not been able to have a QB that transcends to the top of the list of the league. This is while they have turned over Head Coaches, OC's and a truck load of players. You have to look at how they run their organzations and who dictates what to be consistenly having problems. Sending a player like Wilson to be a savior will likely continue that level of futility and just make him the new Scapegoat. I think Wilson knows this as well if he is as self aware as he appears.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":f8emjxl4 said:
TwistedHusky":f8emjxl4 said:

Thats one narritive, another is one where they adapted the offense to his skill set, he still needs some pieces to exploit aspects like a big target. His height limits his quick throws on quick slants, they roll him out and allow hom to use his legs to make plays here, many others would not and in fact still frown on the mobile QB. You want numbers 5000 passing yards etc, thats not going to happen with Wilson regularly. Pete tries to use the skill sets of his players and puts them in a position of what the do best, Wilson is given that. Many Coaches want a player to adapt to what they want which may not be what that player does well.

Wilson is in a situation that works with his skill set, you may be able to send him to Oakland / Miami / Tampa Bay / Buffalo / Arizona / New York Jets and or Giants . Seems those teams have had a lot of QB turn over and or have not been able to have a QB that transcends to the top of the list of the league. This is while they have turned over Head Coaches, OC's and a truck load of players. You have to look at how they run their organzations and who dictates what to be consistenly having problems. Sending a player like Wilson to be a savior will likely continue that level of futility and just make him the new Scapegoat. I think Wilson knows this as well if he is as self aware as he appears.

So the first narrative is something that is a fact because we see it time and time again. The 2nd narrative is a what if, with a lot of unsubstantiated things such as the height issue which while we can guess we really don't know. I could also argue with some fact to support it that he has not adapted the offense to Wilson at all, except for latter 2015. Which brings us the point in latter 2015 we saw an offense that was explosive, fast, we saw slants, we saw it all. That was because we had to, with no run game. As soon as PC could he went back to his run at all cost offense which is not built for Wilson and in fact, is basically the same offense he ran with Tjack, and in college. In fact, if he had really adapted to Wilson we would have an oline that has pass blockers as well, instead, every oline are known as run blockers. We have seen Wilson do well in PC offense and in the 2015 offense which was more like a real NFL passing offense. So narrative 2 is a very unlikely What if, with most fo the facts supporting the first narrative.