2019 WRs

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Lockett may be the only one back.

Baldwin is $10M in cap savings. The rest were completely expendable.

Even if they bring back ADB (which I I don't think he comes back at that cap number) , we need 2-3 guys who can play.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":12b0y5z3 said:

Even if they bring back ADB (which I I don't think he comes back at that cap number) , we need 2-3 guys who can play.
Baldwin is a bargain if you look at what he's done the last few years. He was banged up this season, and it showed. I don't think we have the luxury of getting rid of him. If we cut him we're left with Moore, and Lockett, that would be a pretty bad WR corps. Moore is a guy that would be 4th string on most teams, a specialty player that is good at one type of play. Our offense would be severely hampered with just Lockett as our only viable option.

Fade

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":8hwj0mga said:

Seattle was the worst passing offense in the NFL when he wasn't on the field. Also he would incur around a $5M dead money hit if cut, they wouldn't save $10M more like $5M. Not worth it.

Extending him would be a better option than cutting him.

John63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2ef4n98w said:
Hawkstorian":2ef4n98w said:

Baldwin is a bargain if you look at what he's done the last few years. He was banged up this season, and it showed. I don't think we have the luxury of getting rid of him. If we cut him we're left with Moore, and Lockett, that would be a pretty bad WR corps. Moore is a guy that would be 4th string on most teams, a specialty player that is good at one type of play. Our offense would be severely hampered with just Lockett as our only viable option.

We are a run first team, They will not invest in WR to catch, only ones that block well, and can catch on occasion. Same with oline we invest in run blockers not pass blockers or people who can do both. Harvin was best known for jet sweeps, not catching, Graham while an Attempt, they misused him and tried to turn him into a blocker. If you are going to try to get people to help the passing game you need to also use them that way, if not you are not helping the passing game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
John63":204qm08q said:
Spin Doctor":204qm08q said:
Hawkstorian":204qm08q said:

We are a run first team, They will not invest in WR to catch, only ones that block well, and can catch on occasion. Same with oline we invest in run blockers not pass blockers or people who can do both. Harvin was best known for jet sweeps, not catching, Graham while an Attempt, they misused him and tried to turn him into a blocker. If you are going to try to get people to help the passing game you need to also use them that way, if not you are not helping the passing game.

using the TE more in the passing game would be helpful.

I also think they need to find a red zone or possession receiver. The team needs more playmakers in the passing game, regardless of where the emphasis in gameplanning lies

Jville

Reaction score
Moore faded rather dramatically once teams adjusted to him. Baldwin and Lockett are the known assets for 2019. Those third and fourth and fifth spots are wide open.

The off season has begun. Receivers that follow Lockett's example and successfully seek out Russell Wilson for off season workouts will have a leg up on the competition.

knownone

Reaction score
Baldwin will be back next season. The ideal time to move on from Baldwin is 2020 where cutting him saves you 10 million and only costs you 3. Cutting Baldwin this offseason only saves you 7 million and you'd still be paying 6 million in dead cap. You won't find a comparable level talent for 7 million.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
John63":2bd5eo76 said:
Spin Doctor":2bd5eo76 said:
Hawkstorian":2bd5eo76 said:

You do realize that having threats at the WR position opens up the running game, right?

John63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3nud8iy8 said:
John63":3nud8iy8 said:
Spin Doctor":3nud8iy8 said:
Hawkstorian":3nud8iy8 said:

You do realize that having threats at the WR position opens up the running game, right?

I do however the question is does PC, and also what good is it when you refuse to use them when you need to example yesterday. I mean I am all for getting a big, fast WR, but we have not shown an interest in doing so, and unless we draft them no good to great Wr will want to come here when we only throw 25 times a game.

knownone

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":x77ql68y said:
If a player has a $10M salary, cutting him saves $10M.
Baldwin's cap hit next season is $13M, 6 million of that is guaranteed, meaning he gets that whether he's on the roster or not. That means cutting him only saves you 7 million.

Jville

Reaction score
In the spirit of clarification .........

The pre June 1st release numbers are $6,287,500 in dead cap charges and $6,855,250 in 2019 cap savings.

The post June 1st release numbers are $3,143,750 in dead cap charges and $10,000,000 in 2019 cap savings.

Doug Baldwin has a key leadership role. As I understand it, his value to the team culture extends well beyond what we see on the field on game day.

Going into the off season, the draw he provides to free agent recruitment come into play for building a 2019 team.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Cutting Baldwin would be a bad move. He hasn't declined a whole lot.

I am more disappointed in second half Moore and Brown. I know Marshall didn't work out but a younger guy his size would be a step in the right direction

chris98251

Reaction score
Baldwin comes down to his injuries and if he can recover fully, he like Wright have a lot of miles on their bodies football wise and there is a time regardless you have to make a hard decision. There isn't a more savvy rote runner on this team however, we have a lot of guys that run fast but few that can break down a zone and cut in traffic and get open. Doug is that guy and it is why the game opens up when he is playing.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
chris98251":2zgwxzml said:
Baldwin comes down to his injuries and if he can recover fully, he like Wright have a lot of miles on their bodies football wise and there is a time regardless you have to make a hard decision. There isn't a more savvy rote runner on this team however, we have a lot of guys that run fast but few that can break down a zone and cut in traffic and get open. Doug is that guy and it is why the game opens up when he is playing.

Well said. I also believe Doug is a WR who will age well. He has never relied on speed, his game is very technical. Jerry Rice, Chris Carter, Wes Welker were all able to stay productive in their 30s

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Baldwin and Lockett are the only sure deals that we have at WR. I think he’s worth the money. We should keep him.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3hobtmya said:
I also think they need to find a red zone or possession receiver. The team needs more playmakers in the passing game, regardless of where the emphasis in gameplanning lies
^^ THIS ^^ I'm going to sound like a broken record here...The Run sets up the Pass...The Pass sets up the Run, & even though we have Lockett, & an 85% healthy Doug Baldwin, Wilson still needs other reliable targets to keep Defenses honest, or you wind up with an "ALMOST" good enough Running/Passing Attack.
Even the Cowboys were smart enough to go & get Amari Cooper to provide Dak with a # 1 Receiver ,and it PAID OFF big time.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2e7s8ofi said:
^^ THIS ^^ I'm going to sound like a broken record here...The Run sets up the Pass...The Pass sets up the Run, & even though we have Lockett, & an 85% healthy Doug Baldwin, Wilson still needs other reliable targets to keep Defenses honest, or you wind up with an "ALMOST" good enough Running/Passing Attack.
Even the Cowboys were smart enough to go & get Amari Cooper to provide Dak with a # 1 Receiver ,and it PAID OFF big time.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Very interesting -- snap counts yesterday

Jaron Brown had 35
David Moore only had 12...

mikeak

Reaction score
scutterhawk":14qigqhy said:
Uncle Si":14qigqhy said:

We had enough but didn't use them. So why add more pieces to be ignored?

We need to draft corners, pass rushers and o-line (fluker and sweezy are one year rentals)