What the offence needs next year

Reaction score
I understand a lot of people are very down about Schotty's play calling yesterday and whilst I'm generally a bit more supportive, I absolutely see where people are coming from. However, as someone who will likely be seen as a defender of his, there is no question that next year, we need to make a few changes:

1. There has to be more flexibility with the scheme. Carson was brilliant all season and whilst I think he looked tired yesterday, a point which I think isn't being stated enough, you can't just rely on that one tool over and over. If you want to stick to the running game, fine, but not always straight through the middle, be creative with it. The Seahawks had some really nice running plays throughout the season but these went out of the window yesterday, for whatever reason.

2. Russell Wilson has to run the ball more. The lack of carries for such a potent threat is bizarre, there probably isn't a more consistent threat on our offence that Wilson's running game just because it's so easy and so reliable, so why do we see so little of it? He should be running the ball as often as Trubisky does. The opposition should see Wilson as a threat both with his arm and feet, rather than Wilson just occasionally saving our bacon with his legs when he can't find his passing target.

3. The 3rd and long play calling is atrocious. As I said at the start, I'm not against Schottenheimer but this? It's appalling to watch. The 3rd and 17 yesterday was such a ridiculous call, I don't know what they were expecting. I don't just dislike these calls because they have no chance of succeeding, I hate them because there's such a small time, weak, cowardly mentality behind them that has no faith in Russell Wilson to pull off a fairly long throw when needed.

4. As much as I love our running game, it needs to be mixed up a bit more. The run, run, pass pattern is such a predictable one, it's playing right into the defence's hands. If I'm an opposing DC, I know that Carson is going to carry the ball first off and if he doesn't get 6 yards, he'll run it again. This is too predictable, and if Carson wasn't such a rugged, hard RB who is very difficult to stop, it just wouldn't work. Our running game is the product of Solari, the O-Line and Carson, it's not the play calling which is hard. Our running game is like Joe Frazier, overly reliant on one thing and easy to predict but, like Frazier's left hook, Carson will keep coming. It can, however, be helped with more play action calls.

As I started off the topic with, I'm not here to hate on anyone and I'm proud of what the team has done this year but the above 4 points should not be controversial, they're just obvious, and I hope that Carroll and Schottenheimer see this. We've got the bedrock for a very good team but the play calling with the ball needs to be more nuanced and can utilise the talent we have better than we saw yesterday. That game was there to be won and we lost through our own mistakes. That's the bad news, the good news is that our mistakes are easily corrected.

LTH

Reaction score
I think the O line struggles in pass protection against elite competition we have seen this all year... Not sure how the Hawks might address that, maybe they think they need to add competition through the draft, maybe they think the current O line roster will just improve with another years experience... but I think it was the reason why they ran the ball like they did... IMO they were forced to run the ball and then figured out they had something...

The secondary gave up some plays but I think that's just youth, they will probably add some depth for competition...

Definitely need to add a field goal kicker

There are a lot of contract situations up this year so what they do will probably be effected by those..

LTH

mrt144

Reaction score
LTH":3ud4waly said:
I think the O line struggles in pass protection against elite competition we have seen this all year... Not sure how the Hawks might address that, maybe they think they need to add competition through the draft, maybe they think the current O line roster will just improve with another years experience... but I think it was the reason why they ran the ball like they did... IMO they were forced to run the ball and then figured out they had something...

The secondary gave up some plays but I think that's just youth, they will probably add some depth for competition...

Definitely need to add a field goal kicker

There are a lot of contract situations up this year so what they do will probably be effected by those..

LTH

I really hope the RBs open up a new can of whoopass next year. Just a bit more confident, a bit less hesitant, more sure in their blocks to pick up.

I would really love to see our RBs get more involved in the passing game but off of chip blocks and/or with lots of motion.

I think both guard positions need to be upgraded especially if there is a further predilection for inside rushes. Don't have a clue as how that happens.

pmedic920

Reaction score
They simply need to take the bit out of Russ’s mouth.

Sure a couple of upgrades would be nice but I think we have a decent core.

It’s time (Probably past time) to let Russel truly lead the team.

Most of the greats got to call a bunch of their own plays.

Our guy is smart enough to do that and more.

If you say Russ isn’t elite, I would argue that the only reason he’s not, is that he’s being held back too much.

IMHO, what the offense needs is, let Russ be Russ.

It’s time.

Seymour

Reaction score
Pete is not going to run likes he wants without getting the Oline in better shape. 1 if not 2 top guards are in need to keep Russ and the RB's clean. Fluker would be a great 2M backup but too weak on pass pro and not real reliable. Once that happens, you'll find we are close to already having 95% of our needs here.

John63

Reaction score
Seymour":njv6god1 said:
Pete is not going to run likes he wants without getting the Oline in better shape. 1 if not 2 top guards are in need to keep Russ and the RB's clean. Fluker would be a great 2M backup but too weak on pass pro and not real reliable. Once that happens, you'll find we are close to already having 95% of our needs here.

Yeah have to disagree, we still need more, our defense needs another pass rusher, maybe DB, may LB. We still need a big Wr and we still need to run a truly balanced offense that adjusts quickly and is creative and I agree if Wilson is here they need to hand over the reins period. So we need a lot. not sure with only 4 picks and a lot of players to sign we can get all that.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
pmedic920":f1hqotxq said:

If you say Russ isn’t elite, I would argue that the only reason he’s not, is that he’s being held back too much.

It’s time.

Yup. At least a couple times a game and not just before a half ends or we are down by 2 or 3 scores. Mix it in.

Also, I've seen a couple on here talk about how we have to run it as much as we do to set up play action because that is our passing scheme. Well, if Dallas and the rest of the country thinks we are going to run it on 1st and 2nd down, why cant we do play action then?

kf3339

Reaction score
pmedic920":2zvfdy6p said:

It’s time.

:ditto:

I couldn't have said it any better than this. :irishdrinkers:

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
The offense needs a more effective power running scheme against top ten defenses. This year was a good start. Pound the Rock.

2_0_6

Reaction score
A legit big bodied WR. Seems like Pete/John have been trying to find a legit big CONSITENT target since they have been here.