SeaBass did not cost us this game

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Honestly can't believe that people are blaming the kicker for this.

Last play of the 1st half, he misses a 57 yarder. Those are not gimmes. In 2018, 57-58 yard field goals were successful 50% of the time. From 2010-2018, 50% of 57-58 yard field goals were successful.

Did the Seahawks adjust playcalling since they didn't have a kicker? Maybe, on one drive. Did it affect the outcome? No. If it did, it likely only made the score closer than it otherwise would have been.

In the second half -
Drive one - ended on Seattle 29 - No effect
Drive two - ended on Seattle 48 - No Effect
Drive three - 4th & 5 from 39 and a 2 pt conversion - Plus 1-8 points.
Drive four - ended on Seattle 29 - No effect (maybe we would have been passing at this point)
Drive five - ended on Seattle 23 - No effect (maybe we would have been passing at this point)
Drive six - 2 pt conversion - no effect.
Onside kick - almost certainly no effect

Assuming we had a kicker in the second, we likely would not have gone for that 4th and 5, down by only 4. We changed things up and went for it, instead of playing for field position, because we knew we didn't have a kicker for our next drive. Even if we had gone for it, there is no chance Pete would have gone for 2 point conversion. At the end of that drive, the score would have been either 6-10 or 13-10. Cowboys came back and scored the next two touchdowns, so the score would have been either 6-24 or 13-24. Now, you might argue that with a kicker, we would have been down by 2 or more scores and gone to Wilson earlier.

Drive seven would not have been affected by the presence of a kicker. Best case scenario, we would have been down 13-24, and we would have gone for 2 to put us within a field goal of tying up the game.

Onside kick - Single digit success rate since the rule change. Is it possible we would have had a better chance with Seabass? Yes, by some infinitesimal amount, it probably would have,

With Seabass, we likely would have been playing for a tie rather than a win.

The only way you can argue that Seabass cost us this game is to say that we would have been down by 2 scores 6-17 after Dallas' second TD, and therefore we would have gone to Wilson earlier, and he had the kind of success that he had in garbage time. Let's say drive 4 gets us to 13-17. The interception gets us to drive 5 and we score 20-17. Dallas scores to go up 20-24. We score to go up 27-24. Likely there would not have been enough time left for Dallas to kick a Field Goal.

So, to argue that Seabass cost us the game, you have to argue that it is because we would have been FURTHER behind, and thus would have gone to Russ earlier in the game, then assume Russ performs his magic.

That's a lot of assumptions there. Sure it's possible, but not likely.

Anyway, he could have cost us the game, but he didn't. Stupidly giving up a huge run in a short-yardage situation, and failing to abandon what wasn't working, cost us this game. Seabass didn't affect it either way.

Seymour

Reaction score
I don't care about that game now. All I care is I never see that guy in Seahawk blue again! :177692:

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
That kick was not on Seabass.

Depending on Seabass was all on PC/JS. It's very simple; they need to do better moving forward.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As much as I'll be glad to see a new kicker, Seabass isn't the one with pathetic play calling. He wasn't playing Defense. He didn't go 2 for 13 on 3rd down :pukeface: :pukeface:

Cyrus12

Reaction score
^ u mean he wasn't playing offense? Think the defense was okay. Nope wasn't his fault but just gotta get a younger guy. Wish we kept Myers.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm long since done with Seabass. And you're right, a young guy that can be here for a long time.

beaumaris

Reaction score
Seymour":19u29op2 said:
I don't care about that game now. All I care is I never see that guy in Seahawk blue again! :177692:
Me too,cowardly prick.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Seabass didn't cost us the game but he was dead to me after his lame pass by on the kick return a couple games ago...this game just did nothing to make me believe he warrants staying on.

John63

Reaction score
Ahh I agree he did not cost us the game, the horrible game plan did. That said still don't want him back

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
To be clear I don’t want him back either. I just don’t buy into the claims that his injury changed our game plan or hindered us in any way.

IMHO cutting Hauschka and Gresham were two of the stupidest moves ever by Pete and John. Right up there with signing Harvin and Graham. Pete Carroll’s philosophy makes a successful kicking game more important to us than any other team. We should be spending more money here than other teams, because the return on investment should be higher for us.

Going with Walsh was mind boggling, but, on the positive side, it did allow us to finally cut ties with Cable. Going with Jani made more sense, but was still a head scratcher. I can’t claim that I believed that Myer would prove to be as good as he has been, but He sure looked promising.

justafan

Reaction score
I have no problem with him missing that kick. But when he sat on his big butt in sweats while players are busting ass with broken bones and he cant handle an onside kick. Never seen that in my life. The guy is a frigging turd.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
Yesterdays News.... He isn't going to be a Seahawk... He was a fill in and it didn't work... Plain and simple, we have to do better and somehow I trust we will.... He was a Prop that got us through the season, and with respect... Now on to the next! :irishdrinkers:

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":dk10ny2k said:
Seabass gets unfair hate here. He was a average old kicker.
We actually like the guy. Some just dont want him kicking for this team.
Besides, He doesnt give effort to stop a returner and now pulls a hammy as he is likely out of shape. Coming into this season I thought he would once again hurt his back then lose to the rookie. Surprisingly he made it to post season.

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Staying on topic seems to be difficult. No one wants him back. Point of the thread is, his injury didn’t cost us the game, and it had little to no impact on our play calling. Any impact it did have likely kept the score closer than it otherwise would have been.

I started it because multiple threads are including him as part of the reason we lost that game.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It amazes me when people get stupid about Kickers.

Kickers account for a lot of points. They decide games.

Ask Buffalo fans about this (They still freak out when someone mentions Scott Norwood)

Chicago fans found this out recently. (and yes I know it was partially blocked but why was it such a low trajectory to allow the block to start with? It was a 43 yard FG not a 53yd one.)

A lot of games have been won by a single kick. Enough that I would think a kicker is a very important investment.

The Patriots have a win over the Rams in a SB that wouldn't exist if their kicker was average. In fact, Adam V made a number of important kicks over his career to win important games.

So fielding an aging overweight basically average kicker who already had issues with staying healthy? That made no sense.

He didn't hurt us terribly this year but he was still a terminally stupid signing. He was a massive risk with little upside but plenty of downside.