Only 4 draft picks this year?!

jmahon316

Reaction score
I mean, I know Pete and Co. like to trade down but that will make it like what, 6 in the end? I didn't realize this year's draft would have us with so little picks...

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
jmahon316":yf5seok4 said:
I mean, I know Pete and Co. like to trade down but that will make it like what, 6 in the end? I didn't realize this year's draft would have us with so little picks...
Don't be surprised if Carroll trades down 3-4 times.

I can see it now....first pick for the Seahawks is in round 4.....ugh....

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hopefully they trade down and get a bunch of 4th-7th round picks, since that is their comfort zone. They don't seem to have a clue how to choose wisely in the early rounds anymore.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
With the Seahawks no longer able to hurt or help their chances of receiving compensatory picks for the 2019 draft, it's pretty simple to figure out where they stand on adding some extra draft capital through 2018 free agency. They won't. Even without help from the experts, it's plain to see that the Seahawks added more actual free agents than they lost. Trading Michael Bennett, releasing Richard Sherman, Jeremy Lane, and DeShawn Shead and letting Thomas Rawls lapse into free agency creates the illusion of greater free agent movement but none of those players actually factor into the equation even though they'll all play for different teams in 2018. Well, Lane still hasn't found work but he's likely to play with another team.

OverTheCap broke it down in more technical detail. The Seahawks lost five players total but it appears offensive lineman Matt Tobin, who only made $790,000 in 2017, doesn't qualify to factor into the formula despite becoming a free agent and signing with the New England Patriots; however, the other four players do qualify. Tight end Jimmy Graham now of the Green Bay Packers; wide receiver Paul Richardson now of Washington; defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson now of the Minnesota Vikings; and tight end Luke Willson now of the Detroit Lions were big losses but ultimately were cancelled out by the Seahawks signing seven players to rebuild their roster.

Wide receiver Jaron Brown, tight end Ed Dickson, defensive tackles Tom Johnson and Shamar Stephen, outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo, guard D.J. Fluker and the last-minute signing of cornerback Dontae Johnson assured the Seahawks wouldn't receive any comp picks back for their 2018 free agency class. The only lost four qualifying free agents and took back seven.

https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seaha ... 118129290/

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
We're at Pick 21 in the 1st Round. We'll probably trade down to like 28 then trade down again to 32 and then trade once more for a high-mid range 2nd Rounder and try to collect picks along the way. We have 4, but as Hernia said it'll probably be 7 at that point, maybe 8.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Nothinbutm":1ohjbv00 said:
FlyingGreg":1ohjbv00 said:
Uncle Si":1ohjbv00 said:
Arent the comp picks coming too?

Nope

Wait, what? Why is that?

Wide receiver Jaron Brown, tight end Ed Dickson, defensive tackles Tom Johnson and Shamar Stephen, outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo, guard D.J. Fluker and the last-minute signing of cornerback Dontae Johnson assured the Seahawks wouldn't receive any comp picks back for their 2018 free agency class. The only lost four qualifying free agents and took back seven.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Trade them all to move up as high as possible and draft the best kicker available, thanks.

naholmes

Reaction score
Not necessary, the best rookie kicker was Mike Badgely of the Chargers and he wasn’t even drafted. I think all the drafted kickers ended up sucking.

Jville

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":31z9ls93 said:
Hopefully they trade down and get a bunch of 4th-7th round picks, since that is their comfort zone. They don't seem to have a clue how to choose wisely in the early rounds anymore.

Seems to be a result of the pursuit of an efficient overall draft and free agency. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that this years draft board will be no more than 70 .... 60 names. They have become very specific about the make up they are looking for at each position.

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2lp4qt2h said:
Nothinbutm":2lp4qt2h said:
FlyingGreg":2lp4qt2h said:
Uncle Si":2lp4qt2h said:
Arent the comp picks coming too?

Nope

Wait, what? Why is that?

Balls.

AKNFidel

Reaction score
The way Pete values the kicker, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Parkey on the roster in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikeak

Reaction score
What drove me nuts this off-season was signing guys to one year deals (Fluker, Sweezy, Stephen) and loosing comp picks because of it

Then we proceeded to trade our 6th round pick for Hundley who yes is also a FA after on year on the bench

And this is the season after Sheldon visited for a few months....

massari

Reaction score
mikeak":25yzr8iw said:
What drove me nuts this off-season was signing guys to one year deals (Fluker, Sweezy, Stephen) and loosing comp picks because of it

Then we proceeded to trade our 6th round pick for Hundley who yes is also a FA after on year on the bench

Sweezy was a good signing because he was cut by the Bucs, which means he doesn't cost a comp pick.

From Over The Cap:

Mingo cancels Graham 4th rd comp pick
E.Dickson cancels S.Richardson 4th rd comp
J.Brown cancels P.Richardson 5th rd comp
Stephen cancels Willson 7th rd comp
https://overthecap.com/compensatory-dra ... ion-chart/

Schneider does seem to throw away a ton of draft picks since the Harvin trade.

mikeak

Reaction score
massari":383esz4d said:
mikeak":383esz4d said:

Sweezy was a good signing because he was cut by the Bucs, which means he doesn't cost a comp pick.

From Over The Cap:

Mingo cancels Graham 4th rd comp pick
E.Dickson cancels S.Richardson 4th rd comp
J.Brown cancels P.Richardson 5th rd comp
Stephen cancels Willson 7th rd comp
https://overthecap.com/compensatory-dra ... ion-chart/

Schneider does seem to throw away a ton of draft picks since the Harvin trade.

Thanks for correction -- I noted that he wasn't on the list of cancelling but didn't reflect on why

Point stands for the others. 1 year deals cancelling comp picks (and some decent ones) and then trading away for one year rentals doesn't make much sense to me

It ESPECIALLY doesn't make sense when we trade down in the early round because the value of late picks supposedly is so high...……

inconsistent

kobebryant

Reaction score
The missing 2nd round pick feels way better when remembering that it got you a franchise LT who made 2nd team all-pro and recently signed an extension.