What coach would you rather have then Pete?

getnasty

Reaction score
There's been a lot of complaining about Pete over the last couple of days. If you were going to swap Pete with any other coach in the league not named Belicheck who would it be? For me I wouldn't trade him for anyone, I know he has his faults but who doesn't? He certainly doesn't have the most exciting brand of football but it's hard to argue with the result.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily want a new coach (wait, is Belichick an option?). My only real critique is that I don't like the notion of playing close and just trying to win it at the end. Winning it at the end is great and all, but playing all 4 quarters is good too. There should be more blowouts than there are (maybe not blowouts, but at least more comfortable wins). But playing it close and hoping to win at the end leaves you exposed to losing at the end, just like Saturday.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Nobody who's available.. The current pool of coaches looking for jobs is crap.

If we are talking about currently employed coaches, McVay or Tomlin.

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
I'm talking anyone not named Belichick regardless if they have a job or not.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
getnasty":63kr66e8 said:
There's been a lot of complaining about Pete over the last couple of days. If you were going to swap Pete with any other coach in the league not named Belicheck who would it be? For me I wouldn't trade him for anyone, I know he has his faults but who doesn't? He certainly doesn't have the most exciting brand of football but it's hard to argue with the result.
The thing with Pete is when he came in here, he was pretty innovative. He ran some really interesting defensive formations, and he really did some cool things with our personnel, like throw Red Bryant at DE. People thought he was crazy, but it was a stroke of genius. Carroll saw a trend in the NFL with NFL wide receivers. A lot of them were getting bigger, and taller, and as a result they were bullying smaller DBs. Carroll responded by going after big corners that were considered too large, and stiff to play. Through this we brought in Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman. We also went after a safety that was considered too large, and slow to play safety, and we used him as a linebacker, safety hybrid (Chancellor).

The Seahawks were the trend setters. We went after player types that were considered to be role players, or non-viable in the current NFL. The results were shocking to say the least. We mauled big wide receivers, and our safety, Thomas could cover them with his incredible range. It was virtually impossible to get off of the LOS with Sherman, and Browner playing press. The next thing the 'Hawks did was use under-sized tweener DE's like Clemons, and turn them into upright pass rushers like in a 3-4 defense in passing situations. Really interesting stuff was going on here during 2010-2013.

Unfortunately, with success comes recognition. Our staff got poached, and people understood the brilliance of Pete Carroll's scheme. All of the sudden the big corner back came in vogue, and all of the sudden there were teams running our schemes. The talent pool to pick from became much smaller due to people trying to copy one of the best defenses the NFL has ever seen. We were no longer the trend setters, we were the norm.

I personally don't think Pete Carroll has another championship in him. We're going to be competing for the wildcard spot from here on out. I believe people refer to this as "Marty ball". Our offensive scheme is broken, and incapable of adapting to situations, and our defense is not as strong as it once was, which is what you would expect when the pool of talent becomes smaller. The types of players that went overlooked are now the norm. In the NFL it is adapt or die, and I think Pete Carroll is incapable of doing so. He lives and dies by his philosophy, and as a result I think we can expect some very stale football, especially when Russell Wilson is taking up a huge portion of the cap.

I don't think Carroll is ever going to be a bad enough coach to be outright fired, but it definitely seems like the league has caught up with him, and passed him by. 9-7, to 10-6 is going to be our new norm. Carroll now reminds me of the 2006, and 2007 Holmgren. A coach that was once at the cutting edge no longer knew how to adapt to a rapidly changing league. Sure, Holmgren could still get us to the playoffs, but that is as far as he could take us. I think Carroll is firmly in this boat at the moment. Still a good coach, but is unable to evolve, and adapt to overcome. He still will bring the Seahawks winning seasons, but I think competing for the championship is now out of the question.

John63

Reaction score
I don't want a new coach, I want him to get an innovative OC and then let him do his thing without micromanaging him.

mrt144

Reaction score
getnasty":nuqglddh said:

I can't tell you exactly, but I'd been keen on Pete hiring a different OC who is part of the succession plan for when he retires and who is in the vein of Nagy and McVay. Schotty is a means to Pete's end and doesn't set the table for anything after Pete.

But Pete isn't going to do it that way and we're stuck with his faults until he retires. Hopefully they just build a superior team to cover for the coaching warts.

Seymour

Reaction score
John63":2ioyuq96 said:
I don't want a new coach, I want him to get an innovative OC and then let him do his thing without micromanaging him.

Since that 2nd part is never going to happen because it doesn't follow his core philosophy, you are stuck with the rest of us....

9415014 300x300

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don’t want another coach, I want Pete and his staff to make quicker adjustments when Plan A isn’t working.
I think that is a reasonable request. :)

Smellyman

Reaction score
I wouldn't want another one, but he needs to be more hands off the O and not hire a retread terrible OC

John63

Reaction score
Seymour":39g0wj1e said:
John63":39g0wj1e said:

Since that 2nd part is never going to happen because it doesn't follow his core philosophy, you are stuck with the rest of us....

9415014 300x300

yup but I would argue it more than that. Example

The issue with PC and his offense philosophy
The fact we have an elite QB
The fact that PC just resigned
The fact OUR QB is a FA after this next year
The fact he might be frustrated enough to want out
etc, etc. etc

There is about 4 catch 22s here

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
A Doug Pederson.

He’s got:
1. Ability to be innovative; he’s creative
2. Ability to go against the “the book” of what you should do.
3. Ability to put your “stones” out there and deal with the consequences. Players would love that, too, I think.

I like Pete and love what he’s done for the Hawks but just wish, like many of you, he wasn’t some stubborn and would put the “traditional” book down. We are simply too predictable in every facet.

HawkGA

Reaction score
2_0_6":2pxmzz6q said:

Tomlin? Seriously? I mean, not a bad coach but take him over Pete? No thanks.

McVay at least has the up and come vibe.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
PateratoWilson":17ch5b1w said:
A Doug Pederson.

He’s got:
3. Ability to put your “stones” out there and deal with the consequences. Players would love that, too, I think.

I like Pete and love what he’s done for the Hawks but just wish, like many of you, he wasn’t some stubborn and would put the “traditional” book down. We are simply too predictable in every facet.
No. Give me Carroll over this guy any day of the week.

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkGA":2mnne3kd said:
2_0_6":2mnne3kd said:

What if we got Omar Epps playing Mike Tomlin for 500k a year? Good enough right?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
mrt144":243fgnne said:
HawkGA":243fgnne said:
2_0_6":243fgnne said:

What if we got Omar Epps playing Mike Tomlin for 500k a year? Good enough right?

No way man. I did not care for his attitude in The Program. Plus, he fumbled too much.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":kkkiv4in said:
PateratoWilson":kkkiv4in said:
A Doug Pederson.

He’s got:

No. Give me Carroll over this guy any day of the week.

Why so? Just curious more than anything. I’m not saying THE Doug Pederson... just someone like him, I guess.

justafan

Reaction score
I was expecting to hear more people wanting Red since he "outcoached" Pete