Reddit thread breaks down individual failures vs. Cowboys

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Yes, I'm asking you to read Reddit. This is by far the most relevant thread I've read on the game yet, way past generalities. Spreads the blame out nicely.

https://4x.reddit.com/r/Seahawks/commen ... _failures/

Some of my favorite clippings:

Failed run. Highly suspect blocking by Britt and Vannett. Britt appears to stumble off the line and misses his block. Vannett pulls across the formation, arrives at his designated position, and lets a guy run right by him. Those were the two Cowboys who tackled Carson.

Failed pass. Wilson had Lockett and time to throw. Either the pass was a little high or Lockett was a little slow to the spot.

Drive 7 (RPP)

Failed run. Fant elects not to block his man on the backside of the play at all and goes charging upfield. Whoever Sweezy was attempting to block throws him bodily out of the way. Those two defenders tackle Carson.

And others. It spreads the blame out quite nicely. Schotty, Wilson, the OL, receivers, Carson...everyone.

I came away with one impression: the entire offense did not come to play. For whatever reason.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The "leverage" injuries to Sweezy and Fluker are a little concerning in how they reflect on Pocic/OG depth. There's still room for Pocic to have a big step up in his second full off-season but he clearly needs it.

Agree with Ivotuk that it was a team loss. I don't see it as a matter of blame but rather one of philosophy: offenses should play increasingly more conservatively as their defense plays increasingly better. When our defense gives up two TDs in the fourth quarter then in hindsight we all wish the game plan had been more aggressive, but one of the core problems remains that the defense gave up more points than Carroll thought we needed to win.

Entering the season I'm sure most of us were curious to see how much we would open things up given a defense that looked like it was going to be terrible. Instead Pete went the other way and Houdini'd the defense into being pretty good. If he can make a similar improvement to the defense this off-season then he can be as conservative as he wants next year. If he can't, then that's where a good portion of the discussion should center as good defense is fundamental to his strategy.

Where I differ from most(everybody?) on here is I think it's OK to lose games with an overly conservative game plan sometimes. Pete is an excellent defensive coach and believing in his defense is important to how they play. Sometimes opposing teams play well, sometimes we are hampered by key injuries or penalties, sometimes otherwise reliable players just make poor plays, and there is always a large factor of randomness in NFL games due to the parity between teams.

What we witnessed on Saturday was a bad outcome in which our defense gave up three TDs on four red zone trips while our offense converted just two third downs. If we had a rematch tomorrow there's no reason to think either of those factors would go as poorly a second time in a row. Not having that option, the best we can do is look at the broadest possible picture. In that regard I'm generally happy with how the season went given our personnel and how much dead money we entered the season with.

Maulbert

Reaction score
ivotuk":cjuorhwl said:
Good post. But let's not forget the Defense's culpability in all of this.

We can complain about the offense all we want, but we lost that game when Dak Prescott scrambled for a first down on 3rd and 14. The offense didn't do that.

Tical21

Reaction score
Re: Fant -- It is pretty common to leave backside outside defenders unblocked.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Every game is going to have issues and failures and things you could have done better. I feel like we all know what the main failure was here—why we keep trying to find other targets to project at is beyond me. Every player or unit that failed to do what it was supposed to can take their jabs, but the failure to adjust was the culprit. There’s no explaining it away. The coaches were called out on it, as were the players in EVERY press conference since, and they’ve ALL copped to it in some form.

A singular play from Dak didn’t cost us the game. The truth is we were out coached by a guy who wouldn’t be hired by another team right now if he were to be fired. It hurts, but let’s refocus and look forward.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":1kwd146e said:
I feel like we all know what the main failure was here—why we keep trying to find other targets to project at is beyond me..

"Everyone who disagrees with me is wrong."

Kara, the Hawks didn't have these kinds of problems all year. The running game had much better traction and the blocking was superior.

The answer lies somewhere between "Pete could have thrown a few more passes in" and "things would have been fine if the players executed like they did in the regular season."

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":qsywh334 said:
KARAVARUS":qsywh334 said:
I feel like we all know what the main failure was here—why we keep trying to find other targets to project at is beyond me..

"Everyone who disagrees with me is wrong."

Kara, the Hawks didn't have these kinds of problems all year. The running game had much better traction and the blocking was superior.

The answer lies somewhere between "Pete could have thrown a few more passes in" and "things would have been fine if the players executed like they did in the regular season."

But therein lies the problem. If you enter the game saying you’re gonna do what you did all year and then get stuffed and fail to adjust because you just can’t believe it’s not working, you deserve the criticism.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Interesting opinion they have. I disagree with most of their opinion.