Is Lockett ready to be our #1 WR or starting slot WR?

toffee

Reaction score
Doug is the league's best slot receiver and our #1 WR, no doubt about it. In case we don't have Doug ... how ready is Lockett to assume the role of our slot receiver or as our #1 go to WR?

sdog1981

Reaction score
This is one of the quirks of the Seahawks personnel. The Hawks talked about being a power run team and both of there best WR's are spread offense slot guys. Doug can play well into his 30's, and I hope Lockett can too.

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":1hikocvi said:
Doug is the league's best slot receiver and our #1 WR, no doubt about it. In case we don't have Doug ... how ready is Lockett to assume the role of our slot receiver or as our #1 go to WR?

Lockett's body would not take the hits game in and game out, just not built with muscle mass and stocky enough.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
You can't expect our offense to progress with having Baldwin or Lockett as the number 1. Really really good receivers, but their skill set is more based towards being a #2 or slot receiver. We need a 3rd receiver. Doesn't have to be a number 1 guy. In fact, I'm actually of the mindset that a team can excel with multiple number 2 guys

Get another #1 or #2 receiver, and this offense will be rolling. Some examples of number 2's around the league are Amari Cooper(not a number 1 imo), a Juju Smith-Schuster, Stefon Diggs, Marvin Jones, Sammy Watkins, Tyreek Hill. The Rams and Chiefs don't have a bonafide number 1 but they have several #2's and a killer tight end. Same for the Rams. That's what we're truly missing on offense

John63

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1uyd136c said:
You can't expect our offense to progress with having Baldwin or Lockett as the number 1. Really really good receivers, but their skill set is more based towards being a #2 or slot receiver. We need a 3rd receiver. Doesn't have to be a number 1 guy. In fact, I'm actually of the mindset that a team can excel with multiple number 2 guys

Get another #1 or #2 receiver, and this offense will be rolling. Some examples of number 2's around the league are Amari Cooper(not a number 1 imo), a Juju Smith-Schuster, Stefon Diggs, Marvin Jones, Sammy Watkins, Tyreek Hill. The Rams and Chiefs don't have a bonafide number 1 but they have several #2's and a killer tight end. Same for the Rams. That's what we're truly missing on offense

Most of them have one thing in common, they are big. Would love a big WR to be our #1 or co #2

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":3cvsd8c3 said:
toffee":3cvsd8c3 said:

Lockett's body would not take the hits game in and game out, just not built with muscle mass and stocky enough.
I thought Lockett did pretty well in a season that Doug missed so many games. ;)

The whole #1/#2 WR argument sounds so much like a fantasy football argument rather than a real football argument.

We need receivers that run good routes, can block, and that have soft hands. We don't need any 30% drop level prima donnas, no matter how big or fast they are.

Ozzy

Reaction score
chris98251":16f5k9cn said:
toffee":16f5k9cn said:

I disagree. Lockett has taken a ton of hits and while small he almost seems a little more compact than Baldwin. I'm only guessing and there isn't really a way of knowing though. Lockett is probably our #1 next year or that's how opposing teams will view it. I still think we need a viable 3rd thread and a threat at TE which I'm hoping Dissly can become.

Jville

Reaction score
austinslater25":3aab5xn4 said:
chris98251":3aab5xn4 said:
toffee":3aab5xn4 said:

I disagree. Lockett has taken a ton of hits and while small he almost seems a little more compact than Baldwin. I'm only guessing and there isn't really a way of knowing though. Lockett is probably our #1 next year or that's how opposing teams will view it. I still think we need a viable 3rd thread and a threat at TE which I'm hoping Dissly can become.

Learning how to take a hit is like learning how to fall. And yes, some people pick up the knack. Lockett has convinced me that he knows how to do both. When I think of Tyler Lockett interacting with the physical aspects of the game, I sometimes think of an animated character ...... Uploads2F20112F102FGumbyCentralButton final med
.......................................... I'm not worried. Tyler's got it handled.

Seymour

Reaction score
Even Gumby needs a good Pokey horse now and then.
Hate seeing him so alone. :lol:

Gumby pokey 6 dog toy 25

AgentDib

Reaction score
Lockett lines up in the slot half a dozen times per game mainly so we can fake a sweep or he can run a quick out route. We don't use him as a traditional slot receiver, and when people talk about "#1 WR" what they usually mean is a possession receiver who gets a high volume of targets. Lockett on the other hand gets just 4.4 targets per game but makes them count as many result in long completions for 20+ yards.

One thing we were missing this year with the injuries to ADB and Dissly was a reliable intermediate receiver who Wilson felt comfortable targeting. Maybe that will be ADB or Dissly next year depending on health, but the Hawks churn through personnel every year looking for big possession targets. They've drafted Kris Durham, Chris Harper, Kevin Norwood, Kenny Lawler, Tanner McEvoy (UDFA) and Amara Darboh and signed BMW, Sidney Rice, Chris Matthews, Kevin Smith, and Brandon Marshall. I would bet quite a lot that the search continues this off-season.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Lockett isn't a slot WR. He has average route running, and is faster than quick, versus Baldwin who is quicker than fast with incredible route running.

getnasty

Reaction score
We just need a guy that can catch a back should fade agaisnt the blitz on 3rd and Long. David Moore was that guy at times but need to be a little more sure handed.

BigMeach

Reaction score
chris98251":3eiusrtk said:
toffee":3eiusrtk said:

Isn't this nearly impossible to really tell ? All shapes and sizes get injured out of the league early and all shapes and sizes have surprisingly long careers.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":2orbuzps said:
Lockett isn't a slot WR. He has average route running, and is faster than quick, versus Baldwin who is quicker than fast with incredible route running.

This!

Besides the team would then need to add an outside speed guy like Lockett.

My answer is no, and it is unlikely to happen as well.

rjas77

Reaction score
toffee":9uty9b6e said:

Nota chance unless he puts on some serious thigh and upper chest muscle...of course, if he had that in him, your question would not be an issue. that said...if he took the off season to seriously devote time and serious effort to address said issues without losing game speed, I could be wrong

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
You need receivers who don't mind blocking and don't care if they aren't targeted every week. I think that's why Seattle has never really signed a receiver the last few years. Its been all homegrown guys.

You hope Moore can dedicate himself. Brown also was a disappointment other than the touchdowns

Latest posts