Defensive Ends, personnel questions

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is a weak area of the team and could be an offseason priority for the team to add.

The team presently has Frank Clark and Dion Jordan as Unrestricted FAs. Clark is a key piece of the present D and will be expensive but essential to retain. He could be franchised. Jordan is genuine question mark as his knees have restricted his availability significantly, he could be kept but will need to recognize until he can prove some dependability his price will be a key part of any team decision to keep him. He certainly played adequately the last few games and had some key sacks and tackles for loss. I suspect the team will try to keep him but the price will need to be right.

After to the two above the team has Rasheem Green, as the only other DE that is signed Quinton Jefferson and Brandon Jackson are both ERFAs and as such are easily re-signed by the team. I'd expect them to be kept. Jefferson played quite adequately at times. To these will be added Naz Jones who the team wants to play as a 5 tech. There is also a player retrieved from IR Ricky Ali'fua who we know very little about. I am hopeful to see a significant improvement from Rasheem Green this next season.

The team has some OLB/edge rushers in Mingo and in the rookie Martin but they list those players as SOLB and it is the case that Mingo is more used as a SOLB than as an edge rusher. Martin flashed at times when he got PT.

I see this grouping as a critical area of a needed infusion of talent. I expect to see them add to the edge rushing group collectively.

If the team were to lose Clark they would be in a critical draft need position.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1085345890305376256[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/TheRealFrankC_/status/1085340963361472513[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/TheRealFrankC_/status/1085340341883060224[/tweet]

massari

Reaction score
For sure they won't lose Clark. They'll just franchise him if they can't get a deal done

Rasheem Green's draft profile:

"I wanted him to go back to school because he probably would have been a top-10 pick next year. He's not strong enough to handle NFL guys yet so this year may be a redshirt year for him. He's got some serious juice though. He's going to be a dude when it all comes together." -- AFC team regional scout

Pete Carroll:

“He’s going to improve in his pass rush for sure,” Carroll explained. “The finesse part of it, he’s just new at it. He’ll grow more. He’ll get stronger in the next couple of years, I bet he’ll play 15 pounds heavier in the next two years which will help him in the run game. But he’s quick now. He’s a quick, slasher type of guy, he’s not a load up, heavy duty type of guy or run defender.

Looking forward to see what Green brings in the 2nd season, and if they finally found Bennett's replacement after failing with McDowell and Richardson.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Wow, really impressive from Clark given the circumstances

BubbaGump

Reaction score
I really liked what I saw from Jacob Martin this season. If he can bulk up a bit he can compliment Clark and Reed for the next few seasons. He had only three sacks on what seemed like minimum snaps, but man was he always around the ball! He always seemed to be moving the opposing QB out of their spots in the pocket. I hope to see more of him next season.

Now Dion Jordan was underwhelming to me. I didn’t see him getting much pressure and I didn’t know when he was on the field until I saw him standing around a pile. I’m not knocking him but just stating what I observed. If we can get another edge rusher along with Clark and Reed, this Defense improves to top 5. IMHO

sdog1981

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Dion Jordan turned out to be Dion Jordan. I wish him all the best on his future endeavors unless he takes the lowest possible contract.

The team is starting to get the depth it needs in regards to pass rush. It will be interesting to see what Naz Jones can do on the edge.

Some of the potential value pass rushers that could become available this free agent period are.

Markus Golden
Benson Mayowa
Michael Johnson
Dante Fowler
Camron Wake
Shane Ray
Brian Orakpo

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I like the stable of Green, Clark and Martin as passing DE's/LEOs and Quinton Jefferson/Naz Jones as 5 Tech DE's in the Red Bryant role.
Get another vet in the rotation and I think we're fine barring major injuries, DT rotation fo Reed, Stephens, Ford will be solid.

DL is the least of our worries. I think we need to remake the LB corps around Wagner. Mingo is not a good enough tackler. KJ has a bum knee. Kendricks is likely to be a jail bird. Shaquem is a special teamer. Calitro is too slow.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
If it were me I would transition tag Frank for 14M$ I think it was. If you lose him, you lose him after that point. I just don't see Clark as a must-have. He has generated pressure against weak lines and has been way to spotty over his career for me to put too much stock in a career-high year that just happens to coincide with his free agency year.

At the same time, it's not like we have a depth of options or draft capital to fix that, so I understand if they sign him at all costs. I just have a sneaking suspicion its going to come back to bite us.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No way, Clark is a beast, and was playing with two messed up elbows this year. He's only gonna' get better. You don't let DE's of his level just walk.

sutz

Reaction score
bbsplitter":f2yfxfhy said:
If it were me I would transition tag Frank for 14M$ I think it was. If you lose him, you lose him after that point. I just don't see Clark as a must-have. He has generated pressure against weak lines and has been way to spotty over his career for me to put too much stock in a career-high year that just happens to coincide with his free agency year.

At the same time, it's not like we have a depth of options or draft capital to fix that, so I understand if they sign him at all costs. I just have a sneaking suspicion its going to come back to bite us.
I've heard as high as $17 mill for the tag. Still probably worth it. Pass rush can be hard to find. Every team in the league is looking for it, so if Clark sniffs FA he'll get some offers.

Jville

Reaction score
bbsplitter":1h798xs0 said:

Prior to this season, I had strong reservations about Frank Clark maturing into a Seahawk. Not anymore. The fight to over come adversity has a way of maturing us. The explosive growth of Frank Clark as a player and as a person has been a pleasure to witness. Understanding the whole picture with maturity and leadership are prerequisites to a second contract with the Seattle Seahawks. More likely than not a consciences will be found for the 2019 season.

Jville

Reaction score
massari":ui735g5n said:
For sure they won't lose Clark. They'll just franchise him if they can't get a deal done

"I wanted him to go back to school because he probably would have been a top-10 pick next year. He's not strong enough to handle NFL guys yet so this year may be a redshirt year for him. He's got some serious juice though. He's going to be a dude when it all comes together." -- AFC team regional scout

Pete Carroll:

“He’s going to improve in his pass rush for sure,” Carroll explained. “The finesse part of it, he’s just new at it. He’ll grow more. He’ll get stronger in the next couple of years, I bet he’ll play 15 pounds heavier in the next two years which will help him in the run game. But he’s quick now. He’s a quick, slasher type of guy, he’s not a load up, heavy duty type of guy or run defender.

Looking forward to see what Green brings in the 2nd season, and if they finally found Bennett's replacement after failing with McDowell and Richardson.

The coaching staff was very careful with young 21 year old Rasheem Green. He was limited to only 20.3% of the line snaps. Prior to seeing a bigger and stronger and more experienced 22 year old Rasheem Green some time in August, it's easy for many to overlook him and his potential impact. For them, he'll be that "coming out" surprise to get excited about in 2019. And that's fun!

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Jville":1ng8sd72 said:
massari":1ng8sd72 said:

Pete Carroll:

The coaching staff was very careful with young 21 year old Rasheem Green. He was limited to only 20.3% of the line snaps. Prior to seeing a bigger and stronger and more experienced 22 year old Rasheem Green some time in August, it's easy for many to overlook him and his potential impact. For them, he'll be that "coming out" surprise to get excited about in 2019. And that's fun!
I sure overlooked him because of the low snaps. There were some games where I was saw him on the field and remembered who he was. I hope he has a bigger role next season.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1s8sbbr4 said:
DL is the least of our worries. I think we need to remake the LB corps around Wagner. Mingo is not a good enough tackler. KJ has a bum knee. Kendricks is likely to be a jail bird. Shaquem is a special teamer. Calitro is too slow.

I agree that LB is a problem if Kendricks isn't able to return, but DL is far from the least of our worries.

There's an awful lot of optimism on this board regarding one of the most important positions than simply didn't cut the mustard outside of Clark and Reed. You need four respectable pass rushers across the board to truly be a threat in the playoffs, or your best guys get doubled up. We have two. Nobody else has demonstrated any real staying power yet. Rasheem Green spent much of the season on the inactives list. That could be the coaching staff being "careful", or it could be the sign of a bust. Jacob Martin flashed - and that's it. Nobody else was even worth talking about. That was fine for a developmental year. It's not a good situation for 2019.

Passing up a historically deep draft at DL right when we're headed into a second Super Bowl window would be a colossal mistake. If you're going to risk developing Green or Martin, do it without diminishing our playoff chances. This line needs either a top draft pick or a difference-maker vet this offseason.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
bbsplitter":3d5wj2o0 said:

I'm sorry that's just silly.

It is way too hard to find elite pass rushers. They are not a dime a dozen.

I think his sacks are up because he played more snaps -- even when he was our backup only coming in on rush downs he averaged 10 sacks a year in seasons 2 and 3.

He's missed what, one game in his career? I don't feel like he's a risk to be a bust at all.

Chawker

Reaction score
One draft prospect that has me very intrigue is Ala. Isaiah Buggs 6'5" 290 DE who is strong enough to play a inside position, much like Bennit did.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Interesting nobody has commented at all about Dion Jordan. If he is healthy he may be worth keeping around but only if he realizes he won’t get paid until he shows he can stay healthy.

bighawk

Reaction score
I like Jordan i agree with u jammerhawk if he gets right he could be a gem on the cheap if hr gets down to 260 lbs. He doesn't have a lot of wear and tear from playing.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
bighawk":3px7ennl said:
I like Jordan i agree with u jammerhawk if he gets right he could be a gem on the cheap if hr gets down to 260 lbs. He doesn't have a lot of wear and tear from playing.

He's had multiple knee surgeries and injuries - I would argue he does have a lot of wear and tear.

A good player who is never on the field is not helpful at all.

zetes

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1l93zbk3 said:
Interesting nobody has commented at all about Dion Jordan. If he is healthy he may be worth keeping around but only if he realizes he won’t get paid until he shows he can stay healthy.

Nobody mentioned him because he can never be depended on to stay healthy. He is what he is which would be last man on the DL bench at best on top tier team.
Cheers
Z.