Defensive Tackles, personnel questions

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This a another area of disguised weakness. Thankfully this is rich area in this upcoming draft. It is very likely to me the team will try to find a player that fits in the draft at DT.

The team has a budding star in Jarran Reed with his 10.5 sacks this season, and UDFA Poona Ford seems like a genuine find. The recent signing of Jamie Meder is encouraging as he is proven run stuffer. Shamar Stephen is a UFA, he played OK this year and the team will try to keep him but at their price. The team has indicated that they are moving Nazair Jones to 5 tech and the 3 techposition is then suspect as weak. Here the team has had no luck and McDowell who never played a snap is the example of this buzzard luck. If Reed was suddenly unavailable there isn’t much depth.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Pete has announced that Ford will be competing for a starting position next year. Between him, Jones, and Q-Jeff, it feels like this position could use less attention than DE. But I still want a vet from somewhere, and better than Shamar Stephen.

Meder is a bit overrated, by the way. A classic PFF miss.

bighawk

Reaction score
I think Meder could be a gem he is incredibly strong with a 515lbs bench press and this was in 2014 there is videos of him benching it. In 2017 Pff rated him the 2nd best DT against the run in the NFL. Great pickup in my opinion.

justafan

Reaction score
I think Reed showed he can be an elite DT.He was supposed to be a run stuffer but if he is showing that kind of pass rush then we need another run stuffer and turn him lose to be the 3 tech.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
bighawk":8eoobvpc said:
I think Meder could be a gem he is incredibly strong with a 515lbs bench press and this was in 2014 there is videos of him benching it. In 2017 Pff rated him the 2nd best DT against the run in the NFL. Great pickup in my opinion.

If you are signing a futures contract you aren't that good. And that PFF ranking was through 6 games. Regardless of that crap ranking stat if he was any good he wouldn't be signing a futures contract. Chances of him making an impact next year.... 1%.

bighawk

Reaction score
Thats your opinion he was put on IR because he had a high ankle sprain.

Jville

Reaction score
bighawk":1p43h3js said:

There is certainly room in a rotation for a strong run stopper. He has an interesting back ground and something to prove. The 2019 roster needs to add in excess of 40 more players.

Chawker

Reaction score
Hello guys, this is a pisition that needs to be handled with care, let me explain. When WE have a MLB like B-wags it makes pretty scene to take care of him to the point of making sure he can flow side to side without dealing with second level blockers.
This means two good DT on run plays and two more for passing and rotation. I'm not sure if a team mite get by with three if they are altheletic enough.

I dream about drafting a Dexter Lawrence to help crush they run game, make'em one dimensional.
Cheers

getnasty

Reaction score
After Reed there a big drop off to a bunch of guys who have shown flashes but not any consistency. We were horrible agaisnt the run this year and
need a Brandon Mebane type run stuffer hopefully Poona can be that guy.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Go look up Meder on PFF he is a very possibly a fix for that needed run stopping body. Of course that is if he's actually any good after he is looked at here, and the draft and FA are just loaded with capable bodies. If not he's another potential high reward low cost addition to the pile which will be sorted out in the preseason.

To me I suspect the team will add more than one guy this offseason through the draft, the UDFA class, and possibly through FA. They've had reasonable success in identifying players like McDaniel who can help. At present there is little doubt the depth after Reed and Poona is weak but this will be a good offseason for cost effect additions to the depth inside. The 5 tech pile is not weak at all and could have some players starting to come into their own as pros.

As an aside for me, I think they need to be more gap disciplined which will cure a great many of the observed cutback opportunities for opposing RBs and right there the run D will see a significant improvement.

The whole if he wasn't drafted early complaint seems to miss the obvious that many exceptional players like Baldwin or John Randle, or pick a name, can be stars even though they weren't drafted. Draft position is simply zero guarantee of playing ability and it's got more to do with the fight in dog than size of the dog if you take the analogy.

Key to team success will be the retention of Clark and the addition of at least another edge rusher that can attract a double team at times. The inside depth is something I think is an offseason priority.

kf3339

Reaction score
These "personnel questions" threads of yours Jammerhawk are really useful! They help to identify areas of strength and need for improvement in a very meaningful and objective manner.

I personally think Puna Ford could be the answer as a starting 1tech within a few years, but it may need a quality veteran to sign for another year as a strong run stuffer before he is ready to take over that position. Putting Reed at 3tech makes a lot of sense and hope that is what PC intends to do as well.

I think Rashan Greene can be a quality backup and play on passing downs next to Reed in the interior line. Add Clark and another pass rushing end and you have the makings of a really good pass rushing D-Line!

Seafan

Reaction score
I can see the Hawks trading down into the 2nd round and possibly taking a flyer on Jeffery Simmons. He may not play a game in 2019, he'll start on someone's PUP. He'd be a steal in the 2nd round.

Other than Simmons I don't see the Hawks taking a DT early in this draft. DE will be a priority and perhaps a safety.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Need to add someone to replace Bennett's 'inside' of his inside/outside routine. Pass rushing interior talent is useful. Reed was an unexpected quality at DT. But still need someone to pair with him situationally. Poona can be a decent base option. And hopefully can develop/improve as a pass rush talent as well. Really interested to see if he blossoms in his second season with more opportunity.

Not considering DE prospects in this thread.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There are quite a few inside /out guys in this draft some we won't even get a sniff of with a trade down but there are others some with some personal conduct clouds and others that still need some coaching up that could be around when the team picks. This area could possibly be addressed in FA.

I'm looking at more 3 tech/ 5 tech types when I post the above, it's rich draft in that area. The pure edge rushers deserve there own thread and there are quite a few of them.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":17jn43nm said:
I'm looking at more 3 tech/ 5 tech types when I post the above, it's rich draft in that area. The pure edge rushers deserve there own thread and there are quite a few of them.

5T is technically an end. A specific type of end typically reserved for a 3-4 DE (roughly 275-290 lbs). Although Seattle doesn't run a 3-4, Pete's referenced multiple times that he runs his 4-3 under with 3-4 personnel. At least as it pertains along the line (Wagner being a strong exception to a 3-4 MLB).

Also, it'd be interesting to see if they don't consider moving Reed into more of a 3T role (at least in 7 man fronts on X and long situations). Perhaps this is where Poona Ford's anticipated rise in snap counts will factor in.

If Seattle retains Clark, it would strongly suggest that Seattle may not be in the market for a lighter rush end under 260 lbs. Which should narrow likely early round DL/DE prospects that we're targetting.

knownone

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1o3igsvt said:
jammerhawk":1o3igsvt said:

5T is technically an end. A specific type of end typically reserved for a 3-4 DE (roughly 275-290 lbs). Although Seattle doesn't run a 3-4, Pete's referenced multiple times that he runs his 4-3 under with 3-4 personnel. At least as it pertains along the line (Wagner being a strong exception to a 3-4 MLB).

Also, it'd be interesting to see if they don't consider moving Reed into more of a 3T role (at least in 7 man fronts on X and long situations). Perhaps this is where Poona Ford's anticipated rise in snap counts will factor in.

If Seattle retains Clark, it would strongly suggest that Seattle may not be in the market for a lighter rush end under 260 lbs. Which should narrow likely early round DL/DE prospects that we're targetting.
I would put the 34 defensive end range at 290+ lbs. Frank is 275 right now and he'd get destroyed if they asked him to play that role.

I actually think any pass rush added would be good. We have 2 guys who fit the Bruce Irvin pass rusher / SAM role, and both seem to be lacking in creating consistent pressure.

mrblitz

Reaction score
do you remember red bryant? was he moved to end, and then back to tackle again? i've got memories of him being a big 'end' with the championship seahawks.

wherever he played her positionally, will they try to get another guy like that, or do they already have him?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
mrblitz":1vb407cp said:
do you remember red bryant? ....wherever he played her positionally, will they try to get another guy like that, or do they already have him?

I don't see that. Red was kind of unique and also kind of out of a position. The players they've added since that year have not been of Bryant's mold. More like Bennett/McDowell (~280-295) lb with much more speed. Rasheem Green is another right in that wheel house.

Bryant was much heavier, with good short area quickness, but offered very little in the way of pass rush. The team has seemed to consistently try to replicate the Avril/Bennett prototype, instead of the Clemons/Bryant mold.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CourtneyRCronin/status/1105259963973332993[/tweet]