26.8 Points Per Game - 2nd Highest in Team History

ivotuk

Reaction score

zetes

Reaction score
l don't think "2nd Highest ppg in Team history" means anything. It's like talking about an NBA team's number of 3pts scored. The league is so offense oriented now versus even 5 years ago that it means nothing with regards to the "state of the seahawks offense". The penalties stat speaks to the fact that the really good teams don't have to worry about penalties as much because they can compensate for stupid mistakes or mental errors. The Seahawks had to play near perfect games to compete and have a chance to beat the best teams. I believe they led the league in penalties when they won the Super Bowl which spoke to how good they were and how they could compensate for that with dominant play and execution (on defense and offense).
Cheers
Z.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
OK..

how about 6th in the NFL in scoring. 2 of the teams ahead of them didnt make the playoffs.

For a team that used the run to set up the pass while the rest of the league was playing flag football, they still put up alot of points.

Jville

Reaction score
All in all many encouraging accomplishments in 2018.

#1 in Turn over Differential with +15
#1 in fewest fumbles lost with only ..... 4
#2 in fewest interceptions thrown away .... 7
#1 in fumble take aways .... 14
#18 (tied) in Interception takeaways ..... 12

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":7mwxywqk said:
Uncle Si":7mwxywqk said:
OK..

how about 6th in the NFL in scoring. 2 of the teams ahead of them didnt make the playoffs.

For a team that used the run to set up the pass while the rest of the league was playing flag football, they still put up alot of points.

It worked well.. but one of the reasons it worked is that most defenses are geared to defend the pass.... when most of the teams you're facing are chucking the football down the field, you recruit defensive players and coaches who can stop the pass and you focus on that.

Along comes the Seahawks and the Ravens, and the average NFL team, who isn't used to seeing that, has to figure it out.

And then the next time they play you, usually in the playoffs, they've seen what you can do.

They adjust.

And they shut you the hell down.

Just like what happened to the Seahawks and the Ravens.

I mean, we had to do that to keep our QB alive... but it can only take you so far. There will always come a time where you have to throw it to win, and that's always been the case.

Has it?

I remember a high flying Seahawks team in 2016, rolling up ridiculous stats with Wilson at the helm, throwing up 38 against the Vikings... and then scraping 10 out of the same team in the same building. Just throw? (and yeah, it was -6.. it wasnt raining rocks though).

Teams can adjust to any game plan.

I get what you're saying. But I also think the Seahawks deserve a lot more credit for the offensive output this season. Even if they couldn't get it together against the Cowboys in the end.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I don’t know if this has any bearing on your point, but I was at that playoff game in Minnesota and it might as well have been raining rocks. I wasn’t playing, was bundled in four layers and hated every second save for the last ten of that game. I remember saying ‘anyone who does anything of value in this weather is a miracle.’ No doubt in my mind that weather factored heavily into it. I watched it on TV when I got home and it looked totally fine. But that catch by Doug and that scoop by Russ, those were just pure guts and shear will to win.

chris98251

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":11b2r976 said:
Uncle Si":11b2r976 said:
OK..

It worked well.. but one of the reasons it worked is that most defenses are geared to defend the pass.... when most of the teams you're facing are chucking the football down the field, you recruit defensive players and coaches who can stop the pass and you focus on that.

Along comes the Seahawks and the Ravens, and the average NFL team, who isn't used to seeing that, has to figure it out.

And then the next time they play you, usually in the playoffs, they've seen what you can do.

They adjust.

And they shut you the hell down.

Just like what happened to the Seahawks and the Ravens.

I mean, we had to do that to keep our QB alive... but it can only take you so far. There will always come a time where you have to throw it to win, and that's always been the case.

Geez lose by two points and we are shut the hell down with a O line half injured and our most productive WR nursing 3 injuries. Exageration much? Healthy line and what happens then? Injuries slowed us as much as defensive scheme. Wo know how well we run with health on the line or ast least be able to roll Wilson out, Fluker and Sweezy could hardly Pull or shadow block for Wilson if they are not mobile.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
There’s no point that anyone can make, (the presumed results of said change don’t matter) that will negate the fact that we didn’t change up our plan, even well into when it obviously wasn’t working. 2 points or 20 points, you don’t draw up a game plan to be behind when 60:00 roll off the clock.

I understand people are over exaggerating here and there, but the fact doesn’t change, poor coaching was as big a factor as any. Poor coaching wasn’t to blame for bad execution, but they were to blame for lack of creativity and adjustments. We don’t need to fire anyone over it, we just need to realize it and fix it. I don’t know why this is such a huge divide here.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This team was fun to watch vs. almost unwatchable last season. It was clear in the Dallas game that Fluke and Sweezy were both playing thru a lot of pain. Sure they could have changed things up earlier in that game, but overall, this was one hell of a season. They pounded the rock, ate up the clock and got 10 wins. Well above expectations.

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":17sph9k0 said:
We were also 30th in number of 3s and out. So we may have scored but we had a big issue sustaining drives

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff

The Dallas game reminded me of the Panthers playoff game a few years ago. Completely refusal to play to the opponents weakness

And to put this all together....this is why we could pull off 6th in scoring and #30 in 3 and outs.

#1 in turnover difference @ +15, and don't count on that every season.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/turnovers.html

D

DomeHawk

I posted very early in the season that we would need to score at least 26 points a game to make it to the playoffs. That was based upon our defense taking a step back.

Unfortunately, we probably needed to be a 28-point-average team to go any further.

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":32hz4avh said:
I posted very early in the season that we would need to score at least 26 points a game to make it to the playoffs. That was based upon our defense taking a step back.

Unfortunately, we probably needed to be a 28-point-average team to go any further.

Or with a improved defense limit one more score and be able to get by with 24 a game.