Pass chart- Do we ever throw over the middle?

seabowl

Reaction score
Something I had noticed this year was what I perceived to be an inordinate number of passes thrown to the sidelines and few if ever passes thrown in the middle of the field. I get, that by throwing to the sideline you take away more of a chance of the ball getting intercepted since it can go out of bounds on an overthrow but also need to be even more accurate to complete the pass since the window you are throwing into is smaller. I would rather have seen Russ use more of the middle of the field especially when we needed the yards to get a 1st down. Not blaming Russ on this as I think this was the plan from the get go.

I'm just curious if anyone has the pass chart from this past season and how many were thrown left, right and in the middle?

John63

Reaction score
seabowl":24euoc78 said:
Something I had noticed this year was what I perceived to be an inordinate number of passes thrown to the sidelines and few if ever passes thrown in the middle of the field. I get, that by throwing to the sideline you take away more of a chance of the ball getting intercepted since it can go out of bounds on an overthrow but also need to be even more accurate to complete the pass since the window you are throwing into is smaller. I would rather have seen Russ use more of the middle of the field especially when we needed the yards to get a 1st down. Not blaming Russ on this as I think this was the plan from the get go.

I'm just curious if anyone has the pass chart from this past season and how many were thrown left, right and in the middle?

Don't need one PC said he does not like throwing over the middle, to many possibilities that can lead to INTs, tips, balls bouncing off Wr hands, deflection etc. Yet another thing that stifles the offense.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't have anything from this season. Last season PFF wrote up a pretty good article on QB routes which you can find here. RW threw 35 slants for 63% completion and 244 yards. That's only 6.9 YPA which is pretty low for slants, but that could speak to 1) our lack of a big target over the middle and 2) lack of YAC on slant routes. From the same article Russ was the 2nd best QB in the NFL on Curl routes with a crazy 84% completion rate.

John63":3ab9ele2 said:
Don't need one PC said he does not like throwing over the middle, to many possibilities that can lead to INTs, tips, balls bouncing off Wr hands, deflection etc. Yet another thing that stifles the offense.
OP asks for data and you respond that it isn't needed to validate your opinion. That doesn't seem over confident to you?

John63

Reaction score
AgentDib":1hhrwmb5 said:
I don't have anything from this season. Last season PFF wrote up a pretty good article on QB routes which you can find here. RW threw 35 slants for 63% completion and 244 yards. That's only 6.9 YPA which is pretty low for slants, but that could speak to 1) our lack of a big target over the middle and 2) lack of YAC on slant routes. From the same article Russ was the 2nd best QB in the NFL on Curl routes with a crazy 84% completion rate.

John63":1hhrwmb5 said:
OP asks for data and you respond that it isn't needed to validate your opinion. That doesn't seem over confident to you?

Because it is not my opinion but what the HC said. That said he asked for a passing chart, not something you provided either. below is a link to the passing charts for every game this year

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/pass/seattle-seahawks/season/week

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts.../russell-wilson/WIL777781/2018/season/qb-grid

chris98251

Reaction score
It's why they have been looking for that big wide out every year, they like the sideline over the shoulder throw to a big target that can break tackles of smaller CB's or jump ball it and the pass if incomplete will go out of bounds.

Were still looking by the way.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Don't need one PC said he does not like throwing over the middle said:
You mean throwing an interception from the 2 yard line?

Seymour

Reaction score
John63":29bsuug3 said:
seabowl":29bsuug3 said:

Don't need one PC said he does not like throwing over the middle,
to many possibilities that can lead to INTs, tips, balls bouncing off Wr hands, deflection etc. Yet another thing that stifles the offense.

And yet sadly that is exactly how we lost SB49 :evil:

John63

Reaction score
Seymour":1f60zgsr said:
John63":1f60zgsr said:
seabowl":1f60zgsr said:

Don't need one PC said he does not like throwing over the middle,
to many possibilities that can lead to INTs, tips, balls bouncing off Wr hands, deflection etc. Yet another thing that stifles the offense.

And yet sadly that is exactly how we lost SB49 :evil:

Well, that was part of it, the other part was our defense giving up 10 points in 9 minutes. That said it was s dumb play call, should have been a role out, allowing for run, pass or throw away. Not a timing pattern to the middle of the field, with our #5 WR and our #2 WR trying to block a guy bigger who also knew the play.

Chawker

Reaction score
The TE does need to play a little bit of a greater role in our offense, and thats not up the sceem plays, rather hit em on a 8 to 12 yard out or a comeback to the outside. The key to running a good offense is to run enough of a mix of plays that it keeps there defense off balance. Maybe Russ is just a one trick pony that refuses to learn any new plays.

John63

Reaction score
Chawker":lm7tme71 said:
The TE does need to play a little bit of a greater role in our offense, and thats not up the sceem plays, rather hit em on a 8 to 12 yard out or a comeback to the outside. The key to running a good offense is to run enough of a mix of plays that it keeps there defense off balance. Maybe Russ is just a one trick pony that refuses to learn any new plays.

" Maybe Russ is just a one trick pony that refuses to learn any new plays" yeah that has to be it forget the play chart shows he is far from a one trick pony.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Sorry but I'm becoming of the mindset we may not ever be back in the super bowl with Pete. I'm just not convinced what he does will work.

John63

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2p4nnl79 said:
Sorry but I'm becoming of the mindset we may not ever be back in the super bowl with Pete. I'm just not convinced what he does will work.

I think it can get us to the playoffs, but we will be one and done unless he opens it up sooner.

Fade

Reaction score
chris98251":2i531bhm said:
It's why they have been looking for that big wide out every year, they like the sideline over the shoulder throw to a big target that can break tackles of smaller CB's or jump ball it and the pass if incomplete will go out of bounds.

Were still looking by the way.

Man they have been doing it all wrong for years then.

5-9 Doug Baldwin. Payed out big money.

5-9 Lockett. Traded 4 picks to select, and payed big money.

5-10 Tate. 2nd round pick.

6-0 Richardson AKA Kelly Jenning's cousin in terms of build. 2nd round pick.

Traded a 1st, 3rd, 7th round pick, and 6yrs $66M for 5-10 Percy Harvin.

Traded Max Unger & a 1st rounder for 6-6 Jimmy Graham. Proceeded to use him as a blocker, and a decoy in the red zone for 2.5 seasons.

6-0 David Moore with a physical build is considered big by Seahawks standards, but he isn't, merely avg sized.

The Seahawks have failed spectacularly if they have been trying to acquire big receivers.

They have dumped a boat load of assets into little receivers.

Their actions say they value the little, quick, and shifty guys. And that one time they got the big receiver, they proceeded to treat him like he was Zach Miller.

Actions speak louder than words.

chris98251

Reaction score
These are their actions so I guess the words were correct even though you seem to have a loss of memory.

Brandon Marshall attempt twice.

Sidney Rice

Mike Williams

Terrell Owens who didn't make it out of camp.

Ricardo Lockette who didn't pan out as consistent

Tanner McEvoy who they tried to develop

Chris Matthews

Jaron Brown this year at 6'3

They keep trying, some of it is players and I will add some of it was Bevells inability to use players correctly, see Jimmy Graham.

AgentDib

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2a9lw0v9 said:
Sorry but I'm becoming of the mindset we may not ever be back in the super bowl with Pete.
Assuming Pete has 3-4 more years left it's likely we won't be back in the Superbowl with him. Most contenders enter the season with Vegas odds in the 10:1 to 8:1 range. Pick any individual franchise and the odds they'd make the Superbowl in one of the next three years is less than 50%.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2yf1u7dn said:

Read what you just wrote again, very carefully. I've highlighted the important part for you.

:34853_doh:

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I still think it's just harder for Wilson to throw in the middle.. besides, he's too often scrambling for his life, which negates any middle.