Championship lessons

nwHawk

Reaction score
After watching both games, what lessons do you think that Seahawks coaches and the front office can learn to make the team better?

Loved (& hated) seeing Brady take what the Cheifs gave them. Loved how the Patriots went to their best players in crucial times late in the game. The didn't get cute, and they just executed.

Both the Rams and Patriots applied pressure at important times without selling out unnecessarily. Rams should have lost, but they NEVER gave up. They chipped their way back and played through the noise. TEs played big throughout the day.

Oh, and field goal kickers frickin matter!

You're John Schneider, Pete Carroll or Russell Wilson - what did you take away from the games?

John63

Reaction score
nwHawk":2upqddfz said:
After watching both games, what lessons do you think that Seahawks coaches and the front office can learn to make the team better?

Loved (& hated) seeing Brady take what the Cheifs gave them. Loved how the Patriots went to their best players in crucial times late in the game. The didn't get cute, and they just executed.

Both the Rams and Patriots applied pressure at important times without selling out unnecessarily. Rams should have lost, but they NEVER gave up. They chipped their way back and played through the noise. TEs played big throughout the day.

Oh, and field goal kickers frickin matter!

You're John Schneider, Pete Carroll or Russell Wilson - what did you take away from the games?

Stop with the "we are going to do what we do no matter what" and start game planning to take advantage of what they aren't doing Like Throwing more when they load the box. GAME PLAN BETTER AND ADJUST QUICKER!

Vpk0718

Reaction score
Blow out every team you play so the refs can never screw you over

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
More twists and stunts to create pressure up the middle. Bennett used to fest on that and Reed started to really benefit from time to time.

chris98251

Reaction score
Run it up and never let off the gas, take officials out of the game where a single bad call can't change the outcome.

John63

Reaction score
Vpk0718":21d0wuq0 said:

This TOO. Good call

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
1) Exploit the opposition’s weakness as opposed to trying to out-athlete them.
2) Adjust early in the game not late in the 4th if your game plan is not working.
3) More quick slants, medium routes and screens
4) Get the plays in quicker on O and keep the tempo moving
5) Be flexible in your entire philosophy and be observant of trends-both to exploit and adopt

knownone

Reaction score
Relocate your team to one of the biggest media markets where no one cares about football, then let the NFL take care of the rest.

gonzhawk

Reaction score
Win early in the season so we can be in the hunt for home field advantage. Or one game at home.

Been watching since 1976, and this team making the super bowl on the road, is a very tall order.

The mantra should be "can we win home field advantage in the first quarter of the season?"

NOT if your 0-2, 2-3, etc.....Slow starts will not and never will work.

Playoff success for the hawks runs through Seattle.

Fade

Reaction score
Vpk0718":2z77jx4x said:

This is how I have thought for years, and it was front of mind today. You're not only playing the opponent but, you're also playing the Russian Roulette lottery with the zebras.

I would only kick fieldgoals if it gave me a multiple score advantage, otherwise go for it on 4th down.

The most aggressive teams made the final four. When going for it on 4th down, usually good things happen.

Osprey

Reaction score
Fade":2dykjxa7 said:
Vpk0718":2dykjxa7 said:

This is how I have thought for years, and it was front of mind today. You're not only playing the opponent but, you're also playing the Russian Roulette lottery with the zebras.

I would only kick fieldgoals if it gave me a multiple score advantage, otherwise go for it on 4th down.

The most aggressive teams made the final four. When going for it on 4th down, usually good things happen.

Yeah but...the NFL’s entire model is built around parity and tight games that are decided on the last drive. As tempting as it is to see legacy biased reffing, the true shaping occurs when a team begins to pull away by 14+.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The lesson you should take from the Rams-Saints game is that it is important to get lucky and have officiating crews hand you the win* in games that you were about to lose. The truth is there is a lot of randomness in football and it often comes down to one or two plays that could have gone either way. It's fun to watch but letting the outcomes affect your opinions too much is crazy.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
When was the last time a quick strike offense actually won the Super Bowl?

The Patriots are an amazing example of versatility and coaching. Regardless of talent, somehow they figure out a way to take away your best weapon. They made Tyreek Hill non-existent

What we can learn is that balance is important. Having a run identity is great, but be willing to throw and throw often if necessary. I’ve seen the Patriots win even when Brady throws for 150 yards, but they run for 200

The Chiefs lost because they lack balance. The Patriots will always leave you yelling “What if” and feeling like they’re lucky. But they grind out all their wins. They don’t blow you out. The year when they did blow teams out, they lost to the Giants, who grinded out a win against them

The Saints are another great example of balance this year. They just got screwed on a really bad no call

onepicknick1

Reaction score
Wilson is not Goff or Brady then on the other side Goff and Brady are not Wilson, Brady always has an incredible line. I seriously think Russ needs a great QB coach some of the throws I seen today would have been a sack for us and then I seen some of the throws would have been a TD for us.

They say this is a copy cat league why is it nobody can copy the Patriots coaching or player's?

Before everybody jumps all over me again this is not a diss on Russ I think he is as good if not better then both but they never play to his strengths behind a line like Brady has I wonder what he could really be?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Scorpion05":x65xkrje said:
When was the last time a quick strike offense actually won the Super Bowl?

The Patriots are an amazing example of versatility and coaching. Regardless of talent, somehow they figure out a way to take away your best weapon. They made Tyreek Hill non-existent

What we can learn is that balance is important. Having a run identity is great, but be willing to throw and throw often if necessary. I’ve seen the Patriots win even when Brady throws for 150 yards, but they run for 200

The Chiefs lost because they lack balance. The Patriots will always leave you yelling “What if” and feeling like they’re lucky. But they grind out all their wins. They don’t blow you out. The year when they did blow teams out, they lost to the Giants, who grinded out a win against them

The Saints are another great example of balance this year. They just got screwed on a really bad no call
I don't think people want a quick strike offense. The only thing I want is some of those concepts to be implemented into our game-plan. The Patriots, Rams, and Saints all have those plays in their playbook, and can bring them out if need be. Our offensive play-calling is just very one dimensional. We're missing bread and butter plays that are in just about every playbook, and we don't even use some passing concepts that most teams do.

We're very one dimensional by design. Pete's style is to win games by attrition, but is often times does not know how to transition, or transitions to late when need be. It's good to have the grind it out mentality, but that does not work every game, and when it is stopped adjustments are needed.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The Patriots "taking what's there" isn't necessarily some scintillating feat of mad genius play-calling, it's mostly just the fact that 4th-quarter defenses are playing back to guard against the deep pass and Brady has the patience and skill to grind out 11-yard passes over and over and over in such a situation. He's pretty average in the scoring department in the other three quarters. You know who else matches that description? Russell Wilson.

In this thread, I see a lot of confirmation bias. People come into the Patriots-Chiefs games already thinking that Seattle isn't aggressive enough or doesn't take what's there enough or whatever other tired narratives Cris Collinsworth is throwing around today, and then the games confirm it for them.

But I don't see any big problems. The fact that the Seahawks aren't playing in two weeks doesn't mean that they're some philosophically stunted team that's incapable of going all the way without a massive change in approach. It means they missed a few field goals here and there. That's true of several other teams, as well. It just happens.

What do we need to "get over the hump"? Some more starters on defense, perhaps. Right now we've got five.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
onepicknick1":ebcv8hjz said:
Wilson is not Goff or Brady then on the other side Goff and Brady are not Wilson, Brady always has an incredible line. I seriously think Russ needs a great QB coach some of the throws I seen today would have been a sack for us and then I seen some of the throws would have been a TD for us.

They say this is a copy cat league why is it nobody can copy the Patriots coaching or player's?

Before everybody jumps all over me again this is not a diss on Russ I think he is as good if not better then both but they never play to his strengths behind a line like Brady has I wonder what he could really be?

If the GOAT is your QB, you stand a reasonable chance of winning every game you're in. The offense is perfectly designed around Brady's strengths and minimizes his weaknesses (long ball). There is no one better at driving the offense when there is blood in the water. We witnessed it in the Super Bowl - when you lose or don't have a decent pass rush, and get Brady off the mark and harass him (pissed off Brady) he will slice and dice you mercilessly. They have so many rub routs, quick slants, curls etc. that it is virtually impossible to stop them if they are executing. KC pass rush was gassed after an incredibly productive season - evidenced by the colossosaly dumb move of lining up in the neutral zone to negate the game winning interception. That's just mental fatigue.

So, can the Seahawks replicate that? Probably not, but Wilson is right up there with the 4th quarter comebacks. Edelman > Baldwin? Not necessarily. It requires a commitment to the short passing game, something we have never had. Instead, we have the short running game. When that's not there, we are kind of left with incredible long passes or lots of 3 and outs...

TreeRon

Reaction score
Win the coin toss in OT.

At the end of a hard fought game, the game is often won by a flip of a coin.

The Rams game? What's to discuss, it was won by a non-call by an official.

Did anyone notice that on at least 1/2 of the O plays Brady changed the call to plan B at the LOS.