Earl Thomas

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
If the rumours about him ignoring Seahawks medical advice which led to him having a repeat injury are true then it seems unlikely if he will remain with the Seahawks especially if he ignored the advice once again.

Even if not true I think he's done, too many bridges burned in all honesty.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What did Mike Tomlin say about Bell, "we want volunteers, not hostages."

I think this sentiment applies to Earl. It's pretty damn clear from how the last year went that he's pissed at our FO for not extending him, and even angrier after he got hurt. As evident by him not stepping foot in the facility or being a part of the team post injury like Kam has done.

So no way it makes sense to franchise him and force him to play to get another deal again in 2019.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2mjbxuca said:

I think this sentiment applies to Earl. It's pretty damn clear from how the last year went that he's pissed at our FO for not extending him, and even angrier after he got hurt. As evident by him not stepping foot in the facility or being a part of the team post injury like Kam has done.

So no way it makes sense to franchise him and force him to play to get another deal again in 2019.

From a business perspective, hes still an asset.

If he signs elsewhere do the Hawks get a comp pick in 2020?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ur62frc said:
Sgt. Largent":2ur62frc said:

I don't think so, because he's an UFA...........and yes Earl still has value, but is it worth it to franchise him, bring him in again pissed off and holding out, only to get MAYBE a 6th or 7th rounder in a trade?

As savvy as Pete and John are, I don't think they'd do that to Earl, especially if his value is much lower after the injury.

Now if he never got hurt, played lights out the rest of this year? Hell yeah, franchise his ass, because his value is again 1st or 2nd rounder. That's worth the headache. But not now IMO.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3vl3m4na said:
Sgt. Largent":3vl3m4na said:

He is not an asset without a contract to trade, he has none.

No, you cannot count on comp picks. Every year people say ya but...we get XXX if we let him go. Then it turns to BS because we shopped the FA market and lost what people claimed "was ours". We have 4 picks TOTAL this year for all the FA we lost last season! :177692:

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1iohrt7a said:
Uncle Si":1iohrt7a said:
Sgt. Largent":1iohrt7a said:

I don't think so, because he's an UFA...........and yes Earl still has value, but is it worth it to franchise him, bring him in again pissed off and holding out, only to get MAYBE a 6th or 7th rounder in a trade?

As savvy as Pete and John are, I don't think they'd do that to Earl, especially if his value is much lower after the injury.

Now if he never got hurt, played lights out the rest of this year? Hell yeah, franchise his ass, because his value is again 1st or 2nd rounder. That's worth the headache. But not now IMO.

You think hed only net a late rounder?

Thats why i posted the article. Despite his tumultuous exit, he was playing quite well...

Bummer about the comp draft pick. Team needs more picks

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":5mjqivuy said:
You think hed only net a late rounder?

Thats why i posted the article. Despite his tumultuous exit, he was playing quite well...

Bummer about the comp draft pick. Team needs more picks

I do yeah, cause now he's coming off two major injuries and teams would want to see a full healthy productive year before giving up a high rounder.............the Cowboys didn't even want to give up a 2nd rounder last year when Earl was balling out, had three picks in four games and was healthy. Now? Even if he came back, it'd be another holdout until week 10.......but my guess is he'd do a Bell and not even accept the franchise tender.

And yes, it's sad all the way around, for everyone involved.

sutz

Reaction score
Clark is a better target for the tag than ET. Sorry, but it's true.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Assuming Earl leaves in FA, then yes, it's possible for the team to receive a comp pick in 2020 for losing him.

It's just way too early to predict because the team may sign more FAs than we lose... and doing so would negate Earl's loss,

Seymour

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":rh7jpewc said:
looks like he will end up with the 49 ers

Now that WOULD suck! Where you hearing that from?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1fo4eef3 said:
If the rumours about him ignoring Seahawks medical advice which led to him having a repeat injury are true then it seems unlikely if he will remain with the Seahawks especially if he ignored the advice once again.

Even if not true I think he's done, too many bridges burned in all honesty.

This one is overblown.

Tibia fractures can be dealt with by either healing naturally, or set with intermedulliary nail. There are benefits/reasons to go either way. Alex Smith isn't the only player who has had to deal with infections in a surgical site. These risks are real and at worst can result in loss of the leg. And they have resulted in players losing their careers due to surgical complication.

Seattle wanted to insert a nail. This has benefits and drawbacks. Earl didn't want to incur the additional risk of a nail (added risk of bone infection).

To heal a tibia, it requires a lengthy period where one can't put weight on a leg. For most of us, staying off a leg entirely for 10+ weeks is unsustainable. We don't have two and a half months where we can be invalid in most of our daily lives. And certainly in our professional lives.

For a football player, that isn't necessarily the case. Earl injured his leg during the season. Meaning he could afford to stay off his feet for the remainder of the season, and be in a position to put weight on his leg about the time of the start of free agency. Certainly be able to do light work in the offseason with the expectation to be ready before training camp expired. Time was not a barrier to opting for natural healing.

Surgical repair with a nail isn't necessarily a better option. It is for normal folks who generally need to be back to work within a week or so of surgery. Inserting a nail means one can and should get on their feet within a day or so of surgery.

Risk of reinjuring a break like that is generally low for either case. The fact that Earl played some 20 games in between breaks (including all of the stress of two training camps in between) suggests that Earl's recurrence was more of a freak thing.

That's changed now that he's had two breaks. Bones don't heal exactly as before and his risk for a new break is now heightened.

While I/we don't know the specifics of Earl's case. Both treatment options are usually considered viable for a tibia fracture.

I'd also add, that there is a real and demonstrated history of team physicians succumbing to serving two masters. The team that employs them and their patients. Often times the needs of each conflict with one another. Just because team doctors suggest one course of treatment doesn't mean that's the one that serves the players' interests. There is a natural conflict there and doctors are human too. They can, do and have superceded team interests over player health interests.

In this particular case, I neither begrudge Earl's decision to seek outside opinion, nor taking that opinion. Even not knowing the specifics of his case -- if Earl decided that natural healing was the best route even if it legitimately raised risk of recurrence -- then that was his decision alone to make. And it was up to the team to accept the decision.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":132xed76 said:
Chukarhawk":132xed76 said:

Probably from this ESPN article a couple weeks ago.

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco- ... to-do-list

Niners have plenty of cap space to give Earl a Sherman type deal, which could be more attractive then what other teams will offer Earl, which is probably one year prove your healthy type deals.......and of course Sherman's there AND the revenge factor playing us twice, which you know Earl would absolutely LOVE.

I know everyone thinks it's a foregone conclusion that the Cowboy's will sign Earl, but they're going to be up against their cap with how many guys they have to sign this off season, and now no #1 pick, so I doubt they'll be able to wow Earl with anything close to what other teams with more cap space will.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":b7wwdfwm said:
Seymour":b7wwdfwm said:
Chukarhawk":b7wwdfwm said:

Niners have plenty of cap space to give Earl a Sherman type deal, which could be more attractive then what other teams will offer Earl, which is probably one year prove your healthy type deals.......and of course Sherman's there AND the revenge factor playing us twice, which you know Earl would absolutely LOVE.

I know everyone thinks it's a foregone conclusion that the Cowboy's will sign Earl, but they're going to be up against their cap with how many guys they have to sign this off season, and now no #1 pick, so I doubt they'll be able to wow Earl with anything close to what other teams with more cap space will.

I say no way he signs with them now. They snubbed him too, and are probably now on Earls shit list anyway. SF signing Earl would likely be a mistake for them unless they think they are ready to make a run this year which they are not.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1c3bc2hn said:
Seymour":1c3bc2hn said:
Chukarhawk":1c3bc2hn said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, either, but that article is pure speculation. Its title is misleading.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":a3lep6la said:
Sgt. Largent":a3lep6la said:
Seymour":a3lep6la said:
Chukarhawk":a3lep6la said:

I say no way he signs with them now. They snubbed him too, and are probably now on Earls shit list anyway. SF signing Earl would likely be a mistake for them unless they think they are ready to make a run this year which they are not.

Guess it depends on if you think Garoppolo is the answer, which no one knows yet, and he certainly hasn't proven he is, other then his bloated salary.

Personally I think Earl will go to the highest bidder, it's obviously what matters to him most, "being respected." Which is code for money. Ain't no way he's going to SF, or anywhere else for less than other teams offer.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3g8qrhdr said:
Seymour":3g8qrhdr said:
Sgt. Largent":3g8qrhdr said:
Seymour":3g8qrhdr said:

Guess it depends on if you think Garoppolo is the answer, which no one knows yet, and he certainly hasn't proven he is, other then his bloated salary.

Personally I think Earl will go to the highest bidder, it's obviously what matters to him most, "being respected." Which is code for money. Ain't no way he's going to SF, or anywhere else for less than other teams offer.
Your last paragraph is spot on. He wants to get paid. Period!