Kicker position upgrade

zetes

Reaction score
What does everybody think of us signing Stephen Gostkowski of New England who I believe is a Free agent this off season? Seeing Greg the Leg hit the game winner in OT in the NFC championship game for the Rams from 57 yards with 10+ yards to spare easily -- just reminds me how a great kicker can be a game changer especially in tight playoff games. We also saw a kicker this year lose a few games for the Seahawks and with the way PC plays the game with defense and running the ball you would think that he would value an an elite kicker more than other teams. In addition, we already have a CHEAP all pro punter so if we pay more than other teams on average for a PK then we probably still come out middle of pack for our special team kickers in terms of salary cap cost. Obviously, we would love to have the next great kicker just fall to us in the last round of the draft that seems like hoping to win the lottery.

Gostkowski is finished his contract that ranged from 3.6 to 5.0M in cap hit and I think if the Patriots have spent that much on a kicker then it has to have some merit to the strategy. Justin Tucker and Zuerlien are free agents next season too so the price probably will go up next year too for an elite kicker.

What do you all think?

Z.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Id take either...

If... theres not a young kicker coming out that looks the part

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
All I know is John and Pete need to quit fooling around and figure this out quick. They could've had a potential long term answer had they kept Myers. I, along with others here, had a bad feeling Seabass was the wrong choice as soon as the news broke. I hope they have learned from their recent mistakes and make finding a good kicker a top priority. I don't care what it takes. Signing a few FAs, drafting one, signing an UDFA. Bring multiple legs into camp. Whatever! Just learn from your mistakes. That's all I ask of them at this point.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There is clearly a need for a kicker upgrade. The FO has had a mindset that has been an issue with the kicker for the past few seasons. it's time for a change of direction. They goofed it by keeping Janikowski over Myers but hindsight is always most accurate and Janikowski is a future HOF kicker, despite his lack of post season numbers.

This draft will have a few exceptional college candidates the team will likely look closely at to acquire and to set up a competition for the job next season. I hope they decide to go young and don't sign a retread. it would be awesome to acquire a partner for Dickson who is young.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have had a good history of kickers here, a young guy that can build his confidence and salary over 5 or 6 years till he becomes expensive.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":22mo6y6q said:
We have had a good history of kickers here, a young guy that can build his confidence and salary over 5 or 6 years till he becomes expensive.
Yes I was thinking that the other day..
If you think over the years how many good ones we had it
has been great and then there is these last 2 which
is a shock..

AKNFidel

Reaction score
The Front Office has shown how much they value kickers, I believe Cody Parkey has a good shot on being the Seahawks kicker next year... I hope they prove me wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Matt Bryant? Is he a possibility for y’all now that he’s unemployed?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I'd pass on Gostowski. I don't want to spend a bunch on the kicker position, and he will cost a lot because of name recognition and playoff success. I'd be totally fine with them bringing in some cheaper vets like last year, but also bringing in a rookie to compete.

chris98251

Reaction score
Looking at least years Kickers who were in the draft and bring the ones that were fringe and then this years UDFA isn't a bad idea either, last years guys learned what a NFL Kicker is expected to do and I am sure those still interested in a career worked on their flaws and weaknesses to try again this year. Cheap and a bit more hungry and better understanding of NFL Stadiums as well as difference in Kicking off the ground versus a T.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I'm a Robbie Gould man, myself. In fact, I'd overpay to sign Gould this offseason. That's probably what it will take because John Lynch has said the Niners would like to keep him, and then there's the real possibility of him "going home" to Chicago, who desperately need a kicker after Cody Parkey crapped the bed this past January.

As mentioned above, with us wanting to constantly "win it in the 4th quarter", that means we need a kicker who is nails. Not just incredibly reliable, but doesn't shrink in crunch time, either.

I still hate the Hauschka move to this day, and for a team that preaches the value of special teams, we seem to love getting cute there at the expense of ourselves (cutting Gresh for Nolan F'n Freese, not bringing in any competition for Blair Walsh, even signing Blair Walsh at all, etc.) Time to stop being cute and just solve the problem.

I'd steer clear of Matt Bryant, though. Bringing in a kicker who's mostly kicked in a domed stadium is just asking for another SeaBassesque type of season. Gostkowksi would be another good option, if he hits FA. He's kicked in New England, Buffalo, and the swirling winds of the Meadow... errr, MetLife for his entire career. Plus, he went to Toledo, so he's used to kicking in garbage weather.

TwilightError

Reaction score
The last thing the Seahawks should do is cheapskate on the kicker position. This style of play leads to many tight games, so the reliability here is essential. Only elite is good enough.

Seafan

Reaction score
Gould or Bryant and there are 8 seniors who will get drafted/invited. There are also some potential NFL kickers in the AAF.

Hopefully the Hawks can nail this position down for a few years.

Mojambo

Reaction score
They are not going to spend significantly on a kicker. Nor should they.

Blazenhawks

Reaction score
they should not over spend on a kicker I think going young is the better option grab a kid coming out of college and let him prove it. if you keep going after trash kickers ie Walsh or seabass you will end up with trash performance.

Seymour

Reaction score
This would be an upgrade over the last 2 years.....

61eF9EXcA9L SX258 BO1204203200

Danny Darko

Reaction score
considering our cap space I would say we repeat Dickson last year (draft higher than one would guess) and our next kicker is Cole Tracy of LSU

TwilightError

Reaction score
Underspending on a kicker is the worst scenario. The most certain way to elude any championships.

Trusting on luck by drafting has not looked good for many teams in the near past. Spending 1 extra million here makes a bigger impact on the W-column than the salary cap.